for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Problem with AirDrop
#60670 01/23/22 07:49 PM
OP Offline

I am trying to airdrop some stuff from my MacBook pro to my iMac. The airdrop on the iMac (once I click on it) only shows the airdrop icon and the message about what it can do. There is no option to choose "only in contacts or everyone" or anything else. I have blue tooth enabled on both devices and actually turned it off on all other devices since I can't get it to work. They are both connected to wifi.

I obviously can't transfer (though I've tried) anything from my Mac via Airdrop to the iMac until it shows it can receive by giving me the option of how to receive it mentioned above.

What else can I do to make the airdrop option work on my iMac? iMac has High Sierra and my MacBook has Catalina, but I don't think that should make a difference as I can airdrop stuff from my MacBook to my iPhone no problem,

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Re: Problem with AirDrop
plantsower #60690 01/27/22 02:52 PM

Hi Rita,

The challenge before you is the different age of the two operating systems....

This LINK to the Apple Support forum may provide some additional useful info.

The part that caught my eye was having an Airdrop window open on the receiving older machine in advance AND ensuring that it wasn't blocking incoming connections on the Security PrefPane.

Let us know what happens.

Freedom is never free....thank a Service member today.
Re: Problem with AirDrop
MacManiac #60697 01/27/22 08:10 PM
OP Offline

I opened Airdrop on the older Mac first and still no "allow me to be discovered by" choice. Also, no "find an older Mac" was not an option when I tried to airdrop from one to the other. I followed your link and followed those directions. One was to unblock any apps I choose in the firewall. Airdrop was not offered under the apps. After looking online again in some places it said it was a known issue with iMac and High Sierra but no known solutions. frown. Thank you.

Originally Posted by MacManiac
Hi Rita,

The challenge before you is the different age of the two operating systems....

This LINK to the Apple Support forum may provide some additional useful info.

The part that caught my eye was having an Airdrop window open on the receiving older machine in advance AND ensuring that it wasn't blocking incoming connections on the Security PrefPane.

Let us know what happens.

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard