for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Labeling pics in photos
#60600 01/17/22 07:26 PM
OP Offline

I can't seem to label my photos or videos on my iPhone. I know that I select the photo and swipe up but nothing happens, I am not offered the add caption option. Is there another way to do this? A couple of my video stills are black, so I need to label them so I know what they are. So frustrating that I can't do this so simple thing!

Update: I went out of albums which is where the video was and into library. I was then able to label it, but the label doesn't show up in albums. Is that a thing? Actually, even in library I don't see the caption even though I labeled it and clicked "done." I have always found the photo app difficult to use and not very intuitive. I've seen young people using it so easily. I'm jealous.

Last edited by plantsower; 01/17/22 07:48 PM.

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Re: Labeling pics in photos
plantsower #60605 01/17/22 09:17 PM

As new features are added in Photos the iPhone's form factor makes it challenging to find was of fitting everything on the screen, so things keep moving around and where they go is not always intuitive to everyone. Add to that in MacOS you can assign both a Title and a Caption while iOS and iPadOS only provide for a Caption.
  1. Tap the image you want to name which should bring it to "full screen"
  2. Below the selected image and below the row of images tap the info icon (A circled i)
  3. Tap where it says "Add a caption" and enter your title for the image. While you are there you can enter location data and adjust the image date as well as adding a caption.
  4. When you are through, tap Done above the top right corner of the image

Note: as far as I can tell the only way to see the Caption is to touch the info icon. Careful it is easy to tap the trash icon when you are going for the info icon.

Now I need to find out in which views are Titles shown and are there any view where Captions are shown as a default on any of the three platforms. tongue

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #60606 01/17/22 09:29 PM
OP Offline

I don't see an info icon on iPhone when I do this, but I really do want to know in which views I can see the captions. If I do a search it shows up, but not automatically in any view I've seen. It seems crazy that it doesn't show up in Albums, let alone anywhere else.

Now I need to find out in which views are Titles shown and are there any view where Captions are shown as a default on any of the three platforms. tongue [/quote]

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #60609 01/18/22 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by plantsower
I don't see an info icon on iPhone when I do this, but I really do want to know in which views I can see the captions. If I do a search it shows up, but not automatically in any view I've seen. It seems crazy that it doesn't show up in Albums, let alone anywhere else.

Now I need to find out in which views are Titles shown and are there any view where Captions are shown as a default on any of the three platforms. tongue

Is it an iOS 15 thing? I see you are using iOS 14. With 15, tap on a photo and the very bottom of the screen displays 4 icons: the "sharrow" that allows you to share, save, etc.; the heart to "favorite" a photo, the circle "i" for info; and the trash can. As joemikeb said above, you can add a caption and the space for that is right below the picture itself. The type is very faint. That wonderful light grey.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #60612 01/18/22 06:26 PM

In iOS 15 when you select (tap on) an image you get this screen (be sure you scroll down to see the full length of the iPhone screen), and when you tap on the Get Info icon this is the screen you get. Tap on "Add a Caption" to bring up the keyboard and you can enter your desired Caption.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #60613 01/18/22 06:29 PM
OP Offline

I don't have 15. Have you tried it and put it in an Album, because that's where I need it, but it (the caption) only shows up in the library.

Originally Posted by joemikeb
In iOS 15 when you select (tap on) an image you get this screen (be sure you scroll down to see the full length of the iPhone screen), and when you tap on the Get Info icon this is the screen you get. Tap on "Add a Caption" to bring up the keyboard and you can enter your desired Caption.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #60618 01/18/22 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by plantsower
I don't have 15. Have you tried it and put it in an Album, because that's where I need it, but it (the caption) only shows up in the library.
In iOS 15 and MacOS 12 once you caption an image you can…
  1. Perform a search using the caption as the search argument
  2. See the caption anywhere the image appears by doing a Get Info on the image

In MacOS 12 You can make the Captions visible by going to View > Metadata and turning Titles ON (or by pressing ⇧⌘T). laugh
I can find no comparable switch in iOS/iPadOS 15. mad (I suspect the option was omitted in iOS because of the iPhone's smaller form factor.)

Last edited by joemikeb; 01/18/22 10:30 PM. Reason: format error

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #60619 01/18/22 11:14 PM
OP Offline

We'll, shoot!

(I suspect the option was omitted in iOS because of the iPhone's smaller form factor.) [/quote]

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard