FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: FaceTime and Photo Booth
artie505 #60532 01/11/22 07:39 PM
OP Offline

It's not covered. I've heard I can call them and they may not want to charge me, but I have to work up my nerve to do that. smirk

Originally Posted by artie505
Final thought: If your MBP is still covered by AppleCare, it may be worth experimenting to find out if your camera is kaput.

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #60533 01/11/22 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by plantsower
It's not covered. I've heard I can call them and they may not want to charge me, but I have to work up my nerve to do that. smirk
I'm glad you brought that up. I meant to comment on it when Jon mentioned it, but I forgot.

I'm not 100% certain, but it's certainly worth checking: I think AppleCare applies to your machine, not the OS, i.e. software support may be free while hardware support is not.

Just call and ask.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
plantsower #60534 01/11/22 09:18 PM

Wow, Artie, now that is a nuclear action. I really don't want to do that. It's not that important. It's aggravating that I can't use my camera, so that's why I went on a hunt for a solution, but it's not so important that I want to do that. Thanks for all your help and research. I really do appreciate it.

Note that Artie and I each came to the same Nuke & Pave conclusion from different approaches. I would add to our joint recommendations that if the problem is software based, it is more likely to get worse than to stay the same and there is no chance it will get better unless it is fixed.

Before you call Apple, you can run Apple diagnostics (nee. Apple Hardware Test) following these instructions. The Genius desk at the Apple store has more rigorous tests available, but you have to take your Mac to the store to have those run.

That said, at this point, I would still recommend — make that urge — a Nuke & Pave rather than risk running afoul of McGillicuddy's corollary to Murphy's law.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #60535 01/11/22 10:15 PM
OP Offline

Followed the directions to run diagnostics. Finally clicked "get started." Now all I have is a blank page with a very long url that starts with file:'/System/Installation/CDIS/MacOS%20utilities.app/contents/Resources anf on and on it goes. Is something happening and I just can't see it? How long does it take? Good thing I have my iMac to post here for now.

Originally Posted by joemikeb
Wow, Artie, now that is a nuclear action. I really don't want to do that. It's not that important. It's aggravating that I can't use my camera, so that's why I went on a hunt for a solution, but it's not so important that I want to do that. Thanks for all your help and research. I really do appreciate it.

Note that Artie and I each came to the same Nuke & Pave conclusion from different approaches. I would add to our joint recommendations that if the problem is software based, it is more likely to get worse than to stay the same and there is no chance it will get better unless it is fixed.

Before you call Apple, you can run Apple diagnostics (nee. Apple Hardware Test) following these instructions. The Genius desk at the Apple store has more rigorous tests available, but you have to take your Mac to the store to have those run.

That said, at this point, I would still recommend — make that urge — a Nuke & Pave rather than risk running afoul of McGillicuddy's corollary to Murphy's law.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #60536 01/11/22 10:57 PM

Followed the directions to run diagnostics. Finally clicked "get started." Now all I have is a blank page with a very long url that starts with file:'/System/Installation/CDIS/MacOS%20utilities.app/contents/Resources anf on and on it goes. Is something happening and I just can't see it? How long does it take? Good thing I have my iMac to post here for now.
  • Apple Diagnostics take a long time as they are testing every memory cell, every CPU function, etc.
  • How long depends on how much memory, how much storage, how fast the processor is, etc.
  • Each version of Apple Diagnostics is a little different so I can't say for sure ir what you are seeing is normal or not.
  • In general, as long as you see the progress bar the tests are still running. When completed it will either say "No Issues Found" laugh or a list of codes shocked If you get a list of problem codes then your only option is a trip to the Genius Desk at the Apple Store for full up diagnostics and repair or replacement. mad

If you are unsure, confused try taking a picture of your screen with your iPhone and posting that for us to see what we can discern.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #60537 01/11/22 11:02 PM
OP Offline

OK, I'll redo it and take a pic. There is no progress bar though, that's why I don't think anything was happening. I'm gonna wait until I start cooking dinner so I won't have to use my iMac which is in my office without a comfortable chair!

A funny thing happened when it was doing it's thing though. It did a test and then said there is either something wrong with your power adapter or it's not plugged in. Plug it in and we will check it. I did that. But I was told to disconnect everything, including the AC adapter (their words) before I ran the test. So, that made no sense. Anyway I finished following the commands but it really, really doesn't look like anything is happening. I'll try again.

• Apple Diagnostics take a long time as they are testing every memory cell, every CPU function, etc.
  • How long depends on how much memory, how much storage, how fast the processor is, etc.
  • Each version of Apple Diagnostics is a little different so I can't say for sure ir what you are seeing is normal or not.
  • In general, as long as you see the progress bar the tests are still running. When completed it will either say "No Issues Found" laugh or a list of codes shocked If you get a list of problem codes then your only option is a trip to the Genius Desk at the Apple Store for full up diagnostics and repair or replacement. mad

If you are unsure, confused try taking a picture of your screen with your iPhone and posting that for us to see what we can discern.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #60538 01/11/22 11:18 PM

OK, I'll redo it and take a pic. There is no progress bar though, that's why I don't think anything was happening. I'm gonna wait until I start cooking dinner so I won't have to use my iMac which is in my office without a comfortable chair!

A funny thing happened when it was doing it's thing though. It did a test and then said there is either something wrong with your power adapter or it's not plugged in. Plug it in and we will check it. I did that. But I was told to disconnect everything, including the AC adapter (their words) before I ran the test. So, that made no sense. Anyway I finished following the commands but it really, really doesn't look like anything is happening. I'll try again.

Since the diagnostic test suggested plugging in the power supply, then I would do it. Apple Diagnostics can take HOURS to complete depending on you particular Mac. The Genius Desk deep diagnostics used at the Apple Store can take even longer. Consider starting Apple diagnostics running at bedtime and they should complete long before breakfast (you definitely want the power supply plugged in in this case.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #60539 01/11/22 11:28 PM
OP Offline

Great idea. Thanks.

Since the diagnostic test suggested plugging in the power supply, then I would do it. Apple Diagnostics can take HOURS to complete depending on you particular Mac. The Genius Desk deep diagnostics used at the Apple Store can take even longer. Consider starting Apple diagnostics running at bedtime and they should complete long before breakfast (you definitely want the power supply plugged in in this case.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #60544 01/12/22 06:19 PM
OP Offline

I ran diagnostics last night. It only took 1.5 minutes to work. I actually had a progress bar this time. It tested with the "no issues" code ADP000. I then clicked on "get started" so that Apple could see what's happening. I think that's what it was for, because I was given the choice to be on the internet or not. That's when I got the blank page again with the url I was talking about yesterday. I forgot to take a pic, but it wouldn't have shown the whole url anyway. Now I know it probably isn't an internal hardware problem. I've read where the diagnostics can take anywhere from a couple of minutes to hours. Luckily, mine was a couple of minutes. I think I will try this on my older MacBook.

Back to the drawing board. I don't have a lot of faith in Apple Care as they hardly ever were able to help me. I get a lot more help here than anywhere else. Sometimes I think I know more than they do depending on who I talk to. wink

Great idea. Thanks.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #60549 01/12/22 08:17 PM

I ran diagnostics last night. It only took 1.5 minutes to work. I actually had a progress bar this time. It tested with the "no issues" code ADP000. I then clicked on "get started"
so that Apple could see what's happening. I think that's what it was for, because I was given the choice to be on the internet or not. That's when I got the blank page again with the url I was talking about yesterday.
I forgot to take a pic, but it wouldn't have shown the whole url anyway. Now I know it probably isn't an internal hardware problem. I've read where the diagnostics can take anywhere from a couple of minutes to hours.

Luckily, mine was a couple of minutes. I think I will try this on my older MacBook.

Back to the drawing board. I don't have a lot of faith in Apple Care as they hardly ever were able to help me. I get a lot more help here than anywhere else. Sometimes I think I know more than they do depending on
who I talk to. wink

From my experience training Tech Support "Engineers", the situation was best described by Sir Winston Churchill as, "…two peoples separated by a common language". Both you and the Genius know what you are
describing, but you have different images/actions attached to those words. The difference on FTM is having time to cogitate on what the other is saying — and meaning. Even I get tongue tied describing my issue to someone
at the Genius Desk.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #60550 01/12/22 08:21 PM
OP Offline

smile

I ran diagnostics last night. It only took 1.5 minutes to work. I actually had a progress bar this time. It tested with the "no issues" code ADP000. I then clicked on "get started"
so that Apple could see what's happening. I think that's what it was for, because I was given the choice to be on the internet or not. That's when I got the blank page again with the url I was talking about yesterday.
I forgot to take a pic, but it wouldn't have shown the whole url anyway. Now I know it probably isn't an internal hardware problem. I've read where the diagnostics can take anywhere from a couple of minutes to hours.

Luckily, mine was a couple of minutes. I think I will try this on my older MacBook.

Back to the drawing board. I don't have a lot of faith in Apple Care as they hardly ever were able to help me. I get a lot more help here than anywhere else. Sometimes I think I know more than they do depending on
who I talk to. wink

From my experience training Tech Support "Engineers", the situation was best described by Sir Winston Churchill as, "…two peoples separated by a common language". Both you and the Genius know what you are
describing, but you have different images/actions attached to those words. The difference on FTM is having time to cogitate on what the other is saying — and meaning. Even I get tongue tied describing my issue to someone
at the Genius Desk.
smirk

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #60551 01/12/22 08:55 PM
OP Offline

Ran the diagnostics and it also came up with no issues. Darn. My late 2009 iMac (3.06 Ghz, 4 gig memory, 256 mb graphics) is faster than my MacBook (mid-20212, 2.5 gHz, 4 gb memory, 499 mb storage.) Not sure if I gave enough stats but you would think the MacBook would be faster as hardly any of the storage is used at all.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #60553 01/12/22 11:55 PM

Ran the diagnostics and it also came up with no issues. Darn. My late 2009 iMac (3.06 Ghz, 4 gig memory, 256 mb graphics) is faster than my MacBook (mid-20212, 2.5 gHz, 4 gb memory, 499 mb storage.) Not sure if I gave enough stats but you would think the MacBook would be faster as hardly any of the storage is used at all.

Both your iMac and MacBook are using 5400 rpm HDs and the free space will have little or no effect on system speed so that is not a consideration when determining which would be faster. Both have the same bare minimum of memory so that too is a wash in the speed department. That leaves the processor as primary determining factor. Pure GHz of processor speed is not the full story particularly in light of the fact that the i5 processor in your MacBook may be rated at 2.5GHz it will accelerate up to 3.1GHz under full load and the i5 chip will process more data than a core2 Duo running at the same clock speed. So, all else being equal — and it probably isn't — I would expect your MacBook to be faster than the iMac.

My question would be how are you determining "speed"? By personal impression or by a test utility such as GeekBench 5?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #60554 01/13/22 12:14 AM
OP Offline

You know me, I don't pay for utilities, so it's just my impression because everything takes so long to load.

Both your iMac and MacBook are using 5400 rpm HDs and the free space will have little or no effect on system speed so that is not a consideration when determining which would be faster. Both have the same bare minimum of memory so that too is a wash in the speed department. That leaves the processor as primary determining factor. Pure GHz of processor speed is not the full story particularly in light of the fact that the i5 processor in your MacBook may be rated at 2.5GHz it will accelerate up to 3.1GHz under full load and the i5 chip will process more data than a core2 Duo running at the same clock speed. So, all else being equal — and it probably isn't — I would expect your MacBook to be faster than the iMac.

My question would be how are you determining "speed"? By personal impression or by a test utility such as GeekBench 5?

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

joemikeb #60555 01/13/22 03:51 AM
OP Offline

I was just looking at the error codes from the diagnostic test. Not for me but the codes in general. One code is NDC001
NDC003
NDC004
NDC005
NDC006 stating:
There may be an issue with the camera.

I wonder why I didn't get that code.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #60558 01/13/22 12:06 PM

I was just looking at the error codes from the diagnostic test. Not for me but the codes in general. One code is NDC001
NDC003
NDC004
NDC005
NDC006 stating:

You ran a hardware diagnostic, so your not seeing that code in your results apparently indicates that your camera is functioning as expected...that you probably need to do a (Has anybody mentioned this before? tongue ) nuke & pave.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
plantsower #60561 01/13/22 02:41 PM

NDC003
NDC004
NDC005
NDC006 stating:

Because you ran a HARDware test and there is no issue with your HARDware. That means the issue is with your SOFTware (ie. MacOS) and you are back to the nuke & pave Artie and I both recommended. A simple OS re-install [/b]might[/b] fix the problem but nuke & pave is more likely to clear up any other underlying issues.

— Albert Einstein
artie505 #60564 01/13/22 05:57 PM
OP Offline

You ran a hardware diagnostic, so your not seeing that code in your results apparently indicates that your camera is functioning as expected...that you probably need to do a (Has anybody mentioned this before? tongue ) nuke & pave. [/quote]

LOL! Yes, and if my Mac gets to where it is giving me fits in general and not just the camera, I will do that!

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

joemikeb #60565 01/13/22 06:01 PM
OP Offline

Right, but it makes me nervous and I just am not up for it. Like I told Artie, if my Mac acts up in ways that really concern me, I will do that. I remember last time I did something like that, you guys had to answer a bunch of questions over and over until I got it right.

I'm not up for that for just the camera which I can live without. Thanks, Joe.

Because you ran a HARDware test and there is no issue with your HARDware. That means the issue is with your SOFTware (ie. MacOS) and you are back to the nuke & pave Artie and I both recommended. A simple OS re-install [/b]might[/b] fix the problem but nuke & pave is more likely to clear up any other underlying issues. [/quote]

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #60567 01/13/22 06:26 PM

Right, but it makes me nervous and I just am not up for it. Like I told Artie, if my Mac acts up in ways that really concern me, I will do that. I remember last time I did something like that, you guys had to answer a bunch of questions over and over until I got it right.

I'm not up for that for just the camera which I can live without. Thanks, Joe.
You've got a considerably higher aggravation threshold than I've got! laugh

Not to browbeat you, but remember that even if you're unhappy with the results of a nuke & pave, you'll still have your backup clone to revert to.

artie505 #60568 01/13/22 06:38 PM
OP Offline

Right. I'd better get on that. I haven't backed up for awhile. I know you guys do it often, but I'm lazy that way.

Not to browbeat you, but remember that even if you're unhappy with the results of a nuke & pave, you'll still have your backup clone to revert to. [/quote]

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #60569 01/13/22 06:44 PM

Your slow loading issue can be somewhat alleviated by swapping the painfully slow 5400 RPM HD you have currently installed for a Solid State Drive. Add to that a memory upgrade to 8 or even 16 GB and you might well believe that your MacBook was on steroids. The Apple Store will not do the upgrades but Other World Computing will. This would be a small fraction of the cost of a new machine and could add years to your MacBook's useful lifespan.

DISCLAIMER: I have no relationship pecuniary or otherwise with Other Worlds Computing other than that of a long time customer.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #60570 01/13/22 06:49 PM
OP Offline

Thanks, Joe. I believe you, but I thought you said that the memory amount wouldn't have anything to do with the speed. I admit my SSD works faster than my old Mac but so does my even older iMac. That's what is bothering me.

Your slow loading issue can be somewhat alleviated by swapping the painfully slow 5400 RPM HD you have currently installed for a Solid State Drive. Add to that a memory upgrade to 8 or even 16 GB and you might well believe that your MacBook was on steroids. The Apple Store will not do the upgrades but Other World Computing will. This would be a small fraction of the cost of a new machine and could add years to your MacBook's useful lifespan.

DISCLAIMER: I have no relationship pecuniary or otherwise with Other Worlds Computing other than that of a long time customer.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #60573 01/13/22 07:47 PM

Thanks, Joe. I believe you, but I thought you said that the memory amount wouldn't have anything to do with the speed. I admit my SSD works faster than my old Mac but so does my even older iMac. That's what is bothering me.

Your perceived speed difference is another reason for concern about the health of the software on your MacBook. I understand that nuke & pave can seem daunting, but at the very least I urge you to re-install your current version of MacOS. The Bare Minimum ProcessIt is very simple and straightforward, and the enhanced version only slightly more complicated but either is well within your demonstrated competence:

BARE MINIMUM PROCESS

1. Connect your MacBook to the power supply
  2. Print out these instructions so you have them while the reinstall is in process.
  3. follow the instructions for an Intel Processor.

Depending on your download speed and other factors the entire process should somewhere between 30 minutes and an hour. You may be asked for your logon password about midway through the process.

ENHANCED PROCESS:

2. Print out these instructions so you have them while the reinstall is in process.
  3. Boot following the instructions for an Intel Processor.
  4. Once you are booted from the Recovery Drive run Disk Utility > First Aid to be sure the volume structure on your HD is healthy.
  5. If problems are found and not repaired re-run Disk Utility > First Aid
  6. When either no errors are found or errors were found by corrected Quit Disk Utility
  7. Launch Reinstall MocOS...

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #60575 01/13/22 09:20 PM
OP Offline

Thank you. I will consider it. I remember doing something similar when told to by AppleCare. I did what they said, and I ended up having to go to the Apple store to get it fixed. I can't remember the exact circumstances, but I think it had something to do with deleting my OS version and re-downloading it, but it didn't work.. That is why I am so reticent. I live an hour away from an Apple store (if they are even open as some closed due to covid). I think I mentioned the exact circumstances here a few years ago, but I can't seem to find anything I am looking for from my past posts. I know I can look under advanced search and use my handle but I still can't always find what I am looking for. I know I probably mentioned the Apple Store but I couldn't find a post like that when I looked. Lots of posts since 2009. :)

Your perceived speed difference is another reason for concern about the health of the software on your MacBook. I understand that nuke & pave can seem daunting, but at the very least I urge you to re-install your current version of MacOS. The Bare Minimum ProcessIt is very simple and straightforward, and the enhanced version only slightly more complicated but either is well within your demonstrated competence:

BARE MINIMUM PROCESS

3. follow the instructions for an Intel Processor.

Depending on your download speed and other factors the entire process should somewhere between 30 minutes and an hour. You may be asked for your logon password about midway through the process.

ENHANCED PROCESS:

3. Boot following the instructions for an Intel Processor.
  4. Once you are booted from the Recovery Drive run Disk Utility > First Aid to be sure the volume structure on your HD is healthy.
  5. If problems are found and not repaired re-run Disk Utility > First Aid
  6. When either no errors are found or errors were found by corrected Quit Disk Utility
  7. Launch Reinstall MocOS...

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard