FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Missing Mail Content
#60257 12/22/21 04:23 AM
OP Offline

All of a sudden tonight I get my email headings, but when I click on the email heading, there is no content. The dividing line between headers and content is also gone. I tried dragging it up from the bottom but that does nothing. Any ideas?

Update: I just noticed if I click on the heading, it opens up in a new window and I can read it. But I don't like it like that. I like my content to be right below the header like always.

Last edited by plantsower; 12/22/21 04:33 AM.

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Re: Missing Mail Content
plantsower #60258 12/22/21 04:32 AM

Weird that you should ask, because I had one - first one ever - just like that today in Mail.app.

When I double-clicked on it it opened up as expected, displaying it's content.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #60259 12/22/21 04:39 AM
OP Offline

So it happened to you, too? Maybe others too. If so, something glitchy going on. Let me know if you find a fix.

Originally Posted by artie505
Weird that you should ask, because I had one - first one ever - just like that today in Mail.app.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

artie505 #60260 12/22/21 04:52 AM
OP Offline

I wonder if I should rebuild my mailbox? I've never done it. The mail is supposed to disappear and then reappear after it's done rebuilding. Have you ever done that? It makes me nervous.

Originally Posted by artie505

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #60261 12/22/21 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by plantsower
I wonder if I should rebuild my mailbox? I've never done it. The mail is supposed to disappear and then reappear after it's done rebuilding. Have you ever done that? It makes me nervous.
Never done it.

Have you tried shutting down/restarting?

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #60262 12/22/21 05:19 AM
OP Offline

Not until you mentioned it. I just did it and no difference. mad But now I don't have the left column that had all my folders on it where I store stuff like receipts.

Have you tried shutting down/restarting? [/quote]

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #60263 12/22/21 05:21 AM
OP Offline

Not until you mentioned it. I just did it and no difference. mad But now I don't have the left column that had all my folders on it where I store stuff like receipts.

I went into View and fixed the column layout. Not sure why that changed but I still have to click twice to open mail.

Have you tried shutting down/restarting?
[/quote]

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #60264 12/22/21 01:07 PM

Rita,

I had a grievous problem with Mail a few years ago (and yours sounds somewhat similar but not identical). Apple Tech Support took about an hour on the phone with me and ultimately solved it. The number is (800) 275-2273. Good luck!

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #60268 12/22/21 02:09 PM

Two comments:
  • On the Mail Menu bar click on View > Use Column Layout to get back to what I think you are wanting. You can do all sorts of layout changes in the View menu.
  • I have rebuilt the mailbox many times. In early days it was a commonly recommended "fix" for a variety of problems. it simply rebuilds the index to the mailbox database and should present no problems

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
jchuzi #60272 12/22/21 06:54 PM
OP Offline

Thanks, Jon. Their help isn't free, so I can't go that route.

Originally Posted by jchuzi
Rita,

I had a grievous problem with Mail a few years ago (and yours sounds somewhat similar but not identical). Apple Tech Support took about an hour on the phone with me and ultimately solved it. The number is (800) 275-2273. Good luck!

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

joemikeb #60273 12/22/21 06:57 PM
OP Offline

So you never lost some or all of your emails by doing this? I am wondering if the fact that I made copies of the folders I made under Yahoo and then added to my mail.com on my apple mail triggered this. I don't think it happened right away, but I'm not sure. It was the same day for sure.

Originally Posted by joemikeb
Two comments:
  • On the Mail Menu bar click on View > Use Column Layout to get back to what I think you are wanting. You can do all sorts of layout changes in the View menu.
  • I have rebuilt the mailbox many times. In early days it was a commonly recommended "fix" for a variety of problems. it simply rebuilds the index to the mailbox database and should present no problems

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

joemikeb #60275 12/22/21 07:24 PM
OP Offline

I wonder if this is a clue to what may be going on. When I go to Mail - Accounts - and click on one of the email accounts I have, then click on "advanced" instead of going to the advanced page I get this message with each account I try: Advanced view[

Two comments:

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #60276 12/22/21 07:38 PM

Rita,

When I did it (and AppleCare had expired), I was not charged. It would be worth a try.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #60280 12/22/21 08:47 PM
OP Offline

Oh, thanks for letting me know. May I ask if they knew it had expired or they assumed you had it? That way I'll know what to say.

Rita,

When I did it (and AppleCare had expired), I was not charged. It would be worth a try.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #60285 12/22/21 10:20 PM

I wonder if this is a clue to what may be going on. When I go to Mail - Accounts - and click on one of the email accounts I have, then click on "advanced" instead of going to the advanced page I get this message with each account I try: Advanced view
With the exception that I don't have a Mail.com account I get the same thing you do. All that tells you is the URL for the IMAP server you are suing for that particular email account and should have nothing to do with you your messages are displayed on your iMac.

To expand upon my previous statement:
  • On your computer messages are stored as records in a database (like images in Photos and tunes in Music)
  • Those records/messages are accessed via pointers in an index file
  • When you rebuild a mailbox Mail reads the records in the database and creates a new index of the database contents
  • It is possible that the old index has been damaged and may show a message record that is no longer present or may have lost a pointer to a message record that is in the database.
  • As a result the new index may have fewer entries, more entries, or the same number of entries as the previous version but it does not change the actual content of the database so messages are neither gained or lost in the rebuild itself. Rather the new index correctly reflects reflects the actual database/mailbox contents.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #60287 12/22/21 10:50 PM
OP Offline

OK, but I wonder why the Advanced area doesn't show what it used to. Maybe if I rebuild that will go back to normal, too. Apple mail works fine on my iMac. It's the MacBook pro that's giving me the problem. Also, when I mentioned it on the Apple Community this is the answer I got, though I don't really understand it.

Email content gone, only headers

plantsower Said:

"Email content gone, only headers: [...]copy the folders I made under one account and add them to the other account also. I wonder if that's what did it though it took awhile if that's the case."

-------

Import/Export the Mail:

You should have exported the eMails l, and then added back the eMails. Go Here: Import or Export Mailboxes in Mail on Mac - Apple Support. So, its debatable, being that it is just copied content. I would make certain that all the Mail is where it should be; trash the messages in the account you copied them over to; and then export and import the eMails to and from the accounts, respectively.

I wonder if this is a clue to what may be going on. When I go to Mail - Accounts - and click on one of the email accounts I have, then click on "advanced" instead of going to the advanced page I get this message with each account I try: Advanced view
With the exception that I don't have a Mail.com account I get the same thing you do. All that tells you is the URL for the IMAP server you are suing for that particular email account and should have nothing to do with you your messages are displayed on your iMac.

• On your computer messages are stored as records in a database (like images in Photos and tunes in Music)
  • When you rebuild a mailbox Mail reads the records in the database and creates a new index of the database contents
  • It is possible that the old index has been damaged and may show a message record that is no longer present or may have lost a pointer to a message record that is in the database.
  • As a result the new index may have fewer entries, more entries, or the same number of entries as the previous version but it does not change the actual content of the database so messages are neither gained or lost in the rebuild itself. Rather the new index correctly reflects reflects the actual database/mailbox contents.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #60288 12/22/21 11:03 PM

Oh, thanks for letting me know. May I ask if they knew it had expired or they assumed you had it? That way I'll know what to say.
They didn't ask and I didn't volunteer! grin

Jon

jchuzi #60289 12/22/21 11:17 PM
OP Offline

Okay, then! smirk

They didn't ask and I didn't volunteer! grin

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

joemikeb #60291 12/23/21 04:28 AM
OP Offline

Maybe this is a clue as to what to do. I logged out and signed into my alternate account and the email worked properly. So, does that just mean that my mail account is corrupted in my normal account and I need to rebuild it?

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #60292 12/23/21 02:20 PM

Maybe this is a clue as to what to do. I logged out and signed into my alternate account and the email worked properly. So, does that just mean that my mail account is corrupted in my normal account and I need to rebuild it?

That is in the it can't hurt and it might help category. Try it and see what happens.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #60295 12/23/21 06:51 PM
OP Offline

Well, I bit the bullet. I clicked my inbox and emails just popped up in bold even though I had already read them. Nothing seemed to happen like it said with mail disappearing and then indexing and coming back unless it happened in a split second. I still have to double click each email to open it up and it's a huge, single page. I give up. I'll just keep going to each website to read my mail. frown

That is in the it can't hurt and it might help category. Try it and see what happens.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #60297 12/23/21 08:46 PM

On the Mail menu bar under view there are two pertinent options Use Column Layout and Show Bottom Preview either or both may be on or off. I don't know exactly what you are looking for, but among the four possible combinations (both off, both on, only column layout on, only show bottom preview on) you should the able to achieve what you want.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #60300 12/24/21 12:14 AM
OP Offline

I guess I'm not getting my message across. Changing anything on view doesn't help matters. Usually, I have a list of emails come into my mailbox. When I click on one of them it opens up below and I can read it. That's the content I'm talking about. That content is now not visible unless I double click on the header and open the message in a new window. I've never had to do that before.

On the Mail menu bar under view there are two pertinent options Use Column Layout and Show Bottom Preview either or both may be on or off. I don't know exactly what you are looking for, but among the four possible combinations (both off, both on, only column layout on, only show bottom preview on) you should the able to achieve what you want.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #60301 12/24/21 01:26 AM

At the very bottom of the message viewer window there is a pair of lines with a dot between them. Move your cursor over the dot and the cursor will turn into a short horizontal line with an arrow pointing up. Drag upward and once you've gone far enough (in my window it's a couple of inches) that dot and the pair of lines will jump up to create a message viewing area below, which will display whatever message is currently selected (or "No Message Selected" if none is).

(At first, I didn't think this worked anymore. My preference is the opposite of yours—I like the main Mail window to show only a list of emails and no preview. When I tried dragging up from the bottom nothing seemed to happen, but I found I just wasn't going far enough up.)

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
joemikeb #60305 12/24/21 05:32 AM
OP Offline

Since my mail program works fine on my alter ego account on Catalina, do you think upgrading to Monterey would help? I'm thinking maybe not since it doesn't seem to be a Catalina thing. I rebuilt my mail even though it didn't look like it was doing anything and reindexed it through onyX (Titanium). I wish I could ditch the mail app and redownload it, but I guess that's not possible.

I thought about just using my alter ego account since mail works there, but I tried to import bookmarks from my other account and it didn't work. I would like to have all the stuff on my regular account transferred to the other account and then I would be fine. But that's a lot of work and I'm not sure how to do it all. Anyway, what do you think? If upgrading to Monterey doesn't fix it, I'm sunk and I"ve lost some things that I like.

I could call Apple because sometimes they do help, but more than not, they do not. What about PRAM?

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard