FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Conacts issue on iphone
#60127 12/11/21 02:09 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Issue only get with iphone contacts, not home desktop/ laptop contacts.

I'm out in the field, and in someones a contact card I want to add some notes. With iphone, and only iphone, I'm forced to go to the bottom of pre- existing note text. (which is located dead bottom of the screen, way at bottom) I cannnot put a new line of text at the top where I want to in note section. Forced to go below all other text. I've noticed this over months and am now posting. Very weird, any ideas?

Re: Conacts issue on iphone
kevs #60128 12/11/21 11:42 AM

I realize this would be way too much work to be a desirable solution, but if (using your finger) you set the insertion point to the beginning of the existing text, then hit Return, you will have created a blank space at the top of the field; tap that space, and now the insertion point is at the beginning of the new blank line. If you got into the habit of creating that blank space following every entry of new text, it would be readily available the next time you wanted to add a note to that contact card.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
kevs #60129 12/11/21 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by kevs
I'm out in the field, and in someones a contact card I want to add some notes. With iphone, and only iphone, I'm forced to go to the bottom of pre- existing note text. (which is located dead bottom of the screen, way at bottom) I cannnot put a new line of text at the top where I want to in note section. Forced to go below all other text. I've noticed this over months and am now posting. Very weird, any ideas?

What am I missing? You should be able to place the insertion point for new text anywhere you want in in the Notes field with a simple tap of your finger tip.

On the other hand, if you are saying that when you enter the Edit mode in contacts you have to scroll past a lot of other fields and field entries to get to the Notes field, you are absolutely correct. The difference is in Contacts on the Mac you can specify the fields in the default template, which allows you to eliminate any fields you generally do not use so they don't show up when you enter the Edit mode. As far as I know there is no way to edit the Contacts template on iOS/PadOS as you can in macOS. However, Cardhop, a third party interface to Contacts, only shows the fields that currently contain data in the Edit mode so you bypass all of the unused fields in Contact's template.

DISCLAIMER: I have no relationship, pecuniary or otherwise, with Flexibits — the publisher of Cardhop — other than being a satisfied user.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
dkmarsh #60131 12/11/21 09:37 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

DK thanks what does this mean? "but if (using your finger) you set the insertion "
"

Thanks Joe, and so for both, ok today was able to add text at top, but weird and see word notes at top and I'm used to desktop OS, where you can get the cursor in there with with mouse precislty and fast, easily next to word notes or even replace that word notes, and see you can't do that right on iphone contact note section?

kevs #60133 12/11/21 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by kevs
...and I'm used to desktop OS, where you can get the cursor in there with with mouse precislty and fast, easily next to word notes or even replace that word notes, and see you can't do that right on iphone contact note section?

That is why there is a market for styluses to be used with smart phones. The screen is so small and fingers are so fat… Personally it takes learning and practice, but I find I can get around much of the annoyance with the help of Siri, Siri Shortcuts, practice, and dictation. (Did I mention a quiet environment?)

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #60135 12/11/21 10:55 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Joe well carry just wallet key, phone in pocket, so not adding a stylist, but maybe I could in bag or in car keep that. You use one on the go? Never liked Siri, what say Siri, note at top of notes?

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard