FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
iPhone SE(s) not sending or receiving calls
#59946 11/15/21 08:54 PM
ryck Online OP
OP Online

Our iPhone SEs have decided not to send or receive call from each other (both are Model MX9E2LL/A running iOs 14.8.1 Incoming calls are going straight to Voicemail but, unfortunately we can't even access our Voicemail

The first thing I did was pop out and re-insert both SIM Cards and noted that only one phone asked that the set-up be completed. Then I went to this page but got as far as #4 under Check your iPhone settings (Turn off Call Forwarding) but found that Call Forwarding is just a spinning wheel.

Last edited by ryck; 11/15/21 09:07 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
Re: iPhone SE(s) not sending or receiving calls
ryck #59947 11/15/21 10:36 PM

I had a long reply written when I remembered reading there had been issues with call forwarding endlessly spinning on iPhones. A quick DuckDuckGo search turned up a number of hits about it on all of the major carrier sites and in Apple discussions. My suggestion is to treat that as a separate issue to be ignored for the moment or you could try the "fixes" in this article.

I also have to wonder why, as suggested in Apple Knowledge base article HT204027 you chose to skip the step of updating the software in your iPhones to the current release iOS 15.1?

After updating, and whatever you elect to do about step 4, I recommend you proceed to Step 5 in the list and if that fails continue to…
Originally Posted by HT204027
Check your network settings
  1. Reset your network settings. Go to Settings > General > Transfer or Reset iPhone > Reset > Reset Network Settings. This will erase all current saved settings, including Wi-Fi passwords, preferred networks, and VPN settings.
  2. Try to make or receive calls in another location.

and failing that…
Originally Posted by HT204027
Contact Apple Support
If you still can't make or receive calls, contact Apple Support, then follow the steps to complete your request.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #59954 11/16/21 06:20 PM
ryck Online OP
OP Online

Originally Posted by joemikeb
I also have to wonder why, as suggested in Apple Knowledge base article HT204027 you chose to skip the step of updating the software in your iPhones to the current release iOS 15.1?
I updated per the Apple process, which installed 14.8.1 and says "Your software is up to date". There is an "also available iOS 15" at the bottom of the screen but I figure, if Apple thought it was needed, they would have installed it.
Reset your network settings.
Did that and Reset All, but neither helped.
Try to make or receive calls in another location.
No happiness with that either.
If you still can't make or receive calls, contact Apple Support, then follow the steps to complete your request.
Will do after contacting the Carrier and see what they come up with. What a pain.

Last edited by ryck; 11/16/21 06:21 PM.

ryck

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #59956 11/16/21 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by ryck
What a pain.

Agreed — what you are encountering is a royal PAIN

I thought surely one of the suggestions in HT204027 would correct the issue. Just so I can get my head fully around what is going on…
  • Can your phones receive text messages from one another addressed using the recipient's phone number?
  • Do both phones receive receive calls from other cell phones at their number?
  • Do both phones receive receive calls from land line phones at their number?
  • Do your phones share a common Apple ID?
  • Do you have separate listings for each person and phone number in Contacts?
  • If you enter the other phone's number is more than one contact offered as the contact?
  • Is there a single entry in your address book that has both phone numbers listed?

RE: iOS 15

Check Settings > General > Software Update again and see if iOS 15.1 is offered — it should be. If it is, there is no reason not to go ahead and install it and the upgrade is recommended. Who knows, it might correct the error that is causing your problem.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #59962 11/17/21 04:52 PM
ryck Online OP
OP Online

....see if iOS 15.1 is offered — it should be. If it is, there is no reason not to go ahead and install it and the upgrade is recommended. Who knows, it might correct the error that is causing your problem.
OS 15.1 now installed on both phones and the problem has gone away. However, it was not due to the OS update. The carrier advised that, because of very high winds on the lower mainland due to extreme weather, some of their cell towers were damaged and they were experiencing network outages.

ryck

OS Sonoma 14.4.1
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard