Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Safari 15, reactions?
artie505 #59698 10/24/21 12:31 PM
jchuzi Online OP
OP Online

In the meantime, can you post a link so that I can try it?

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #59699 10/24/21 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by jchuzi
Two suggestions:

1. Turn off Content Blocking for the problem website.
2. Disable extensions via the Develop menu when you go to that website.
You do not need Safari's Develop menu to disable content blocks, disable/enable popups, permit access to the camera or microphone for any web site. Simply click on the Website Preferences icon on the Safari Menu bar.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #59700 10/24/21 03:50 PM
jchuzi Online OP
OP Online

True, but there may be Safari extensions that are not covered by the Website Preferences icon.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #59702 10/24/21 05:16 PM

There are three ways to control Safari's Website Preferences…
  1. The Develop Menu
  2. Website Preferences icon
  3. Safari Preferences > Website

They are all control the same Safari API and have the same scope of effect. If you change one that change will appear in both of the others. The advantage of using the website preferences icon is it automatically forces the page to reload.

— Albert Einstein
jchuzi #59704 10/24/21 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by jchuzi
In the meantime, can you post a link so that I can try it?
The problem originally reared its ugly head on an eBay page which only erratically asks me to complete a Captcha. I've got no idea what its URL is.

I just ran into the problem again here. Curiously, though I hit "Submit" while the spinning thingy was still spinning and my message was apparently sent.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
joemikeb #59705 10/24/21 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by joemikeb
There are three ways to control Safari's Website Preferences…
  1. The Develop Menu
  2. Website Preferences icon
  3. Safari Preferences > Website

They are all control the same Safari API and have the same scope of effect. If you change one that change will appear in both of the others. The advantage of using the website preferences icon is it automatically forces the page to reload.
The icon drop-down specifically refers to content blockers, which suggests that other types of extensions are excluded from its functionality.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #59706 10/24/21 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by artie505
The icon drop-down specifically refers to content blockers, which suggests that other types of extensions are excluded from its functionality.
You are right — I was too focused on Content Blockers, but it is the content blockers that are most often the culprit or at least that has always worked for me.

The develop Menu is an all-or-nothing extension on-off for all sites while Safari > Preferences offers more nuanced control. Without the aid of the Develop Menu, Safari > Preferences > Extensions permits tuning off individual extensions including content blockers for all web sites and Safari > Preferences > Web sites permits site-by-site control of a wide variety of functions including permitting content blockers and other extensions.

I prefer a flyswatter to a howitzer for swatting annoyances. 😀

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #59708 10/25/21 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by joemikeb
You are right — I was too focused on Content Blockers, but it is the content blockers that are most often the culprit or at least that has always worked for me.

The develop Menu is an all-or-nothing extension on-off for all sites while Safari > Preferences offers more nuanced control. Without the aid of the Develop Menu, Safari > Preferences > Extensions permits tuning off individual extensions including content blockers for all web sites and Safari > Preferences > Web sites permits site-by-site control of a wide variety of functions including permitting content blockers and other extensions.

I prefer a flyswatter to a howitzer for swatting annoyances. 😀
Agreed...agreed..agreed.

Back to square one, it turns out that PayPal is the site with which I've got the problem.

In Safari, I see this, but I never get past the blue spinning thingy. In Firefox, I get right in without ever seeing a Captcha request.

artie505 #59709 10/25/21 11:41 AM
jchuzi Online OP
OP Online

I just ran into the problem again here. Curiously, though I hit "Submit" while the spinning thingy was still spinning and my message was apparently sent.
I accessed that URL and sent a test message with no difficulty.

Jon

artie505 #59710 10/25/21 11:44 AM
jchuzi Online OP
OP Online

Back to square one, it turns out that PayPal is the site with which I've got the problem.
I had a problem with PayPal at Eddie Bauer (one time only). I paid via credit card instead. Subsequent orders from EB used PayPal with no issue. Go figure... confused

Jon

jchuzi #59712 10/25/21 12:28 PM

Phooey! Lost a post for the first time in ages. frown

I figured out what my Captcha problem is/was...

The only extensions I run are Wipr and Roadblock, both of which are content blockers, so I was turning them off from my menu bar.

But I remembered that Wipr just added a new component, Wipr Extra, which, as it has turned out, doesn't get turned off with the content blockers.

Disabling it, either with command-E or by unchecking it in my pref pane, enables me to log in to PayPal as usual. (I haven't needed it since I installed it, so I'll leave it unchecked and hold it in reserve against possible future need.)

(The problem I ran into at Small Dog appears to be unrelated.)

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard