FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
The intrusive messages auto suggest
#59480 09/20/21 07:29 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

I occasionally send text to someone I did not want to send as Siri, or auto suggest fills in people I don't want. (sometimes adds them to correct number type in)

I've tried to diable everything Siri, no luck yet with this.

I use messages on desktop as well as iphone. Nothing in preferences to stop nuisance?

Re: The intrusive messages auto suggest
kevs #59481 09/20/21 08:24 PM

See if anything in How To Disable Siri is of any help. I have never used Siri so I can't vouch for anything at that site.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #59482 09/20/21 08:46 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Jon, article too much, have to take a couple days off to read understand it.

kevs #59483 09/20/21 08:55 PM

Although I can understand why you might associate the number substitution with Siri, she is not involved unless you are issuing verbal commands such as, "Hey Siri call, Joe Blow". The number association is a search function that works regardless of whether the information comes from the keyboard or Dication. The problem occurs in Messages, Phone, FaceTime, and Mail.

I am using macOS 12 and iOS 15 and on both systems, when I am in Messages on the To: line, if I start typing a number, Messages automatically presents a drop down list of every entry in Contacts list that matches the entered digits and displays them in a descending list. So for example if I type the number 8 every entry the has a phone number beginning with 8 is shown on the list which becomes shorter as subsequent digits are entered. The same thing happens if I start entering a name except the list includes entries that have the same first letter in the first name, last name, or email address. It works the same way whether I am typing using the keyboard or dictating verbally.

If I am using Siri and say "hey siri send joe a text", she responds "Okay which one…" and begins to read all of the Joes and each of the phone numbers and email addresses for each Joe in the contacts list and only stops when I say something like home (the home number), or that one (the last number read).

Mail, Phone, and FaceTime all work the same way as Messages and probably use the same API (Application Program Interface) to do it.

MY POINT IS: It appears Apple has recognized your problem and taken steps to remedy it. The downside is the remedy requires upgrading to iOS 15 and macOS 12.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
kevs #59500 09/21/21 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by kevs
I occasionally send text to someone I did not want to send as Siri, or auto suggest fills in people I don't want. (sometimes adds them to correct number type in)

I've tried to diable everything Siri, no luck yet with this.

I use messages on desktop as well as iphone. Nothing in preferences to stop nuisance?

Some of what you are experiencing may be the result of predictive typing. That is, you start to type something and it is automatically completed. You can turn this off in any iOS: Settings>General>Keyboard>Predictive>slide to off.

Also, Siri can be activated by pressing and holding (but not continuously holding) a side button (which and where may depend on the iPhone model). Could you accidentally be doing this before you start typing?

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #59501 09/21/21 05:15 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Ira, before try to off "predictive typing" can I do that just for messages? And what will it effect if not?

joemikeb #59502 09/21/21 05:18 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

JOe thanks, I never ever use voice Siri, just so you know.

I'm on 14. 7 is it going to 15 soon? " " It appears Apple has recognized your problem and taken steps to remedy it.

Joe what problem does Apple know of?

Then Ira, says predictive typing...... I think I like that is some apps though..? not messages.

And: also how factor in this happens on my desktop with messages... which has nothing to do with IOS.

kevs #59504 09/21/21 06:29 PM

Then Ira, says predictive typing...... I think I like that is some apps though..? not messages.
I agree

And: also how factor in this happens on my desktop with messages... which has nothing to do with IOS.
The Contacts address lookup API (Application Program Interface) is used in multiple Apple applications, including Messages, Mail, Phone, and FaceTime. (AN API is a functionality provided in the operating systems for use in any application that needs it). All of Apple's operating systems are platform specific variants of the same code base so that same API is present in MacOS, iOS, and iPadOS. If a change to the API is made for iOS it automatically appears in macOS and vice versa because it is the same identical code.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #59506 09/21/21 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by keys
JOe thanks, I never ever use voice Siri, just so you know.
I forgot to mention Siri actually interacts with your system the same way you do, so she has to respond to the results just as you would working from the keyboard. Also do not confuse Siri with Dictation. Siri is capable of issuing commands to other applications and the OS while Dictation is simply an alternative to the keyboard for entering data into the system. The similarity is both are dependent on the same voice recognition API.

You might consider giving Siri a try. I find her to be very helpful getting things done like sending text messages. I think she is essential on the Apple Watch and very helpful on the iPhone. The only problems I have with her are…
  1. She sometimes misunderstand my Texas drawl (She is getting better)
  2. She hears and responds to any conversations in the room equally which can have interesting results in a noisy environment (Apple is working on voice identification which could help solve this.)

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #59510 09/22/21 12:02 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Joe I use dictation ALL THE TIME, never Siri. Dictation just me talking into the iphone. Then clean it up, but not bad. Is dictation Siri in a way?

I speak Italian and Spanish, no time/ energy for Texan, especially the later being more complicated, but not on level of Asia language. Maybe when retired can really get it down.. I heard Austin is nice...

kevs #59511 09/22/21 06:33 PM

Joe I use dictation ALL THE TIME, never Siri. Dictation just me talking into the iphone. Then clean it up, but not bad. Is dictation Siri in a way?

I speak Italian and Spanish, no time/ energy for Texan, especially the later being more complicated, but not on level of Asia language. Maybe when retired can really get it down.. I heard Austin is nice...

Siri and Dictation use the same voice recognition API sends so sure related in that way, but functionally they have different purposes.

Austin id nice, if it weren’t for all the $%$#$% politicians. The city mantra is Keep Austin weird which is an indication of the fact the student population to the University of Texas at Austin accounts for a major portion of the entire city population.

One the other hand I live in Fort Worth where the west begins[/] and our mantra is [i]cowboys and culture with the stockyards on the North side and three world class art museums and the Fat Stock Show in the city center not far from one of the top zoos in the country and Texas Christian University (telling the denizens of each apart can be a challenge 😜)

Y’all come now y’ hear! Love to have you,

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #59512 09/22/21 08:18 PM

Apparently the coffee had not kicked in when I hit Post. Even I don't know what I said so here is the corrected version...

Originally Posted by joemikeb

Siri and Dictation use the same voice recognition API sends so sure the two are related in that way, but functionally they have different purposes.

Austin id is nice, if it weren’t for all the $%$#$% politicians. The city mantra is Keep Austin weird which is an indication of the fact the student population to the University of Texas at Austin accounts for a major portion of the entire city population.

One the other hand I live in Fort Worth where the west begins[/] and our mantra is [i]cowboys and culture with the stockyards on the North side and three world class art museums and the Fat Stock Show in the city center not far from one of the top zoos in the country and Texas Christian University (telling the denizens of each apart can be a challenge 😜)

Y’all come now y’ hear! Love to have you,

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #59515 09/23/21 04:34 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

ok Joe , if I make it out there will let you know! Drove through years ago.. Austin across country... but been awhile.

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard