for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Download Folder
#59307 08/16/21 03:06 AM
OP Offline

I'm wanting to clean up my download folder in Finder. Are the files in the d/l folder like aliases? I mean, if I delete what's in the d/l folder, will I be deleting the files that I have somewhere else on my Mac? I only want to clean up the folder, not delete the files it represents.

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Re: Download Folder
plantsower #59309 08/16/21 11:32 AM

They are probably NOT aliases. An alias has a little arrow on it. If you are uncertain, select the file by clicking it once, and then go to File > Get Info. That will tell you if it is an alias.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
plantsower #59316 08/16/21 05:12 PM

What, exactly do you mean by "clean up [your] download folder?"

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #59317 08/16/21 05:18 PM
OP Offline

I mean delete all the entries. I believe when I was reading about cleaning up my Mac sometime back to get rid of excess stuff, it said I could delete all downloads listed in the d/l folder. But I can't remember for sure.

Originally Posted by artie505
What, exactly do you mean by "clean up [your] download folder?"

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #59318 08/16/21 05:31 PM

Your d/l's folder contains everything you've d/l'ed since it was created, and while some of its contents are readily deletable, you may want to save some.

Installers, Apple and 3rd party, for instance, can be trashed, because you've presumably installed whatever "gifts" they brought you, although you may want to save the most current one or two installers for each app in case of emergency.

Anything else in that folder can be trashed IF it's been saved elsewhere on your MBP and you don't need it for backup.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
jchuzi #59319 08/16/21 05:38 PM
OP Offline

Right. I knew they weren't aliases, I was just hoping they were similar.

Originally Posted by jchuzi
They are probably NOT aliases. An alias has a little arrow on it. If you are uncertain, select the file by clicking it once, and then go to File > Get Info. That will tell you if it is an alias.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

artie505 #59320 08/16/21 05:44 PM
OP Offline

Thanks, Artie. Before I got your post I did a little experiment and trashed a download and then tried to call it back up with Spotlight. It was definitely gone but retrievable from the trash since I hadn't emptied it. And now I remember what I read about deleting d/l's. It was as you said, delete what I don't need anymore. So, that's what I'm going to do.

Your d/l's folder contains everything you've d/l'ed since it was created, and while some of its contents are readily deletable, you may want to save some.

Installers, Apple and 3rd party, for instance, can be trashed, because you've presumably installed whatever "gifts" they brought you, although you may want to save the most current one or two installers for each app in case of emergency.

Anything else in that folder can be trashed IF it's been saved elsewhere on your MBP and you don't need it for backup.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #59321 08/16/21 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by plantsower
.... It was as you said, delete what I don't need anymore. So, that's what I'm going to do.
I always save at least the two most recent installers for apps, so I've got the latest one on hand with no need to re-d/l it should I need it, and the one before it in case I run into a bug in the latest one.

artie505 #59323 08/16/21 07:01 PM
OP Offline

Good idea!

.... It was as you said, delete what I don't need anymore. So, that's what I'm going to do.
I always save at least the two most recent installers for apps, so I've got the latest one on hand with no need to re-d/l it should I need it, and the one before it in case I run into a bug in the latest one.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #59325 08/17/21 05:05 PM

Good idea!

I take the approach that the Download Folder is a temporary holding area for that which was just downloaded and that ideally it should be empty. I find searching through a full folder of mixed items inconvenient. If I need to keep any of the documents that have been downloaded I move them into an appropriate folder elsewhere on my Mac. Similarly if I you feel the need to keep installers, create an Installer Folder and move them there from Downloads. Of course this works for me and your personal preferences may not coincide with mine. smile

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #59327 08/17/21 05:15 PM
OP Offline

That's also a good idea. I used to delete as I went along and then forgot all about it. After I get through them, hopefully I will keep it up.

Originally Posted by Ira L
Good idea!

I take the approach that the Download Folder is a temporary holding area for that which was just downloaded and that ideally it should be empty. I find searching through a full folder of mixed items inconvenient. If I need to keep any of the documents that have been downloaded I move them into an appropriate folder elsewhere on my Mac. Similarly if I you feel the need to keep installers, create an Installer Folder and move them there from Downloads. Of course this works for me and your personal preferences may not coincide with mine. smile

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Ira L #59328 08/17/21 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Ira L
I take the approach that the Download Folder is a temporary holding area for that which was just downloaded and that ideally it should be empty. I find searching through a full folder of mixed items inconvenient. If I need to keep any of the documents that have been downloaded I move them into an appropriate folder elsewhere on my Mac.
Precisely because the d/l's folder tends to be a junk collector, I've got Safari > Prefs > General > File download location set to my desktop, which gives me immediate impetus to move those d/l's I want to save to the location in which I want them to "live," and those whose purpose is served immediately or in short order, to the trash.

Afterthought: Every once in a while, a d/l winds up in my d/l's folder despite my pref, so I know to look there if one is missing from my desktop.

artie505 #59329 08/17/21 10:04 PM

Afterthought: Every once in a while, a d/l winds up in my d/l's folder despite my pref, so I know to look there if one is missing from my desktop.
All of my downloads go to my Downloads folder and then Hazel takes over and…
  • copies software downloads to the appropriate folder in the Software Archive database, offers to launch the installer,
  • moves financial documents to the DEVONThink inbox,
  • moves other files to an Action folder and throws a receipt Notification,
  • notifies of files remaining in the downloads folder more than 7 days
  • deletes files in the download folder after 14 days.

Of course that does not pickup the installers and updaters coming through the App Store, Software Update, or a large and growing number of third party in-app updaters that download to who knows where. But it does keep the download folder in control.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #59333 08/20/21 09:58 AM

Thanks for the insight into Hazel. I've been aware of it for quite a while, but its price tag has deterred me from investigating.

It would be overkill for me, but I can see it being extremely useful for someone who actually does something with their computer other than get into trouble for the sake of getting out of it.

Originally Posted by joemikeb
Of course that does not pickup the installers and updaters coming through the App Store, Software Update, or a large and growing number of third party in-app updaters that download to who knows where. But it does keep the download folder in control.
Since you've mentioned App Store and Sparkle updates, I'll mention that whenever I run into one of those I do a control-click > Compress on the newly updated app and save the result with my archived installers.

artie505 #59334 08/20/21 06:29 PM

Thanks for the insight into Hazel. I've been aware of it for quite a while, but its price tag has deterred me from investigating.

It would be overkill for me, but I can see it being extremely useful for someone who actually does something with their computer other than get into trouble for the sake of getting out of it.
Given how much you like keyboard commands there are others you might take a look at.
  • I rely on Hazel for routine computer housekeeping chores but it is a bit of a "one-trick-pony" although easy to understand and use.
  • KeyboardMaestro is at or near the peak in both power and flexibility, but, as with any powerful tool has the steepest learning curve. It requires you to create macros using KM's internal macros, Unix shell commands, AppleScript, javascript, even Python or Swift but in the end it can do pretty much anything you might want in the way of keyboard, mouse, trackpad, etc macros. You just have to have the patience, desire, and skills to work with it.
  • Somewhere in between Hazel and Keyboard Maestro there is BetterTouchTool that offers some invaluable window and screen management features in addition to keyboard commands, mouse and trackpad gestures, and powerful macros.

Right now, I am in the process of determining whether or not Keyboard Maestro has enough added value for me to justify investing in the learning curve. As I said, it does have a steep learning curve, but it may have the advantage of integrating nicely with my DEVONThink database. The jury is examining the evidence, but has yet to reach a decision. 🤷‍♂️

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #59336 08/21/21 04:34 PM

Keyboard Maestro does have the capability to "watch what I do and make a macro of this". In other words, you go through the motions and Keyboard Maestro will create the macro. If you have ever used the old application QuicKeys, Keyboard Maestro does all of that, and more as joemikeb points out above. But I have found as a Keyboard Maestro user, the "more" is optional and does not really get in the way of the basics.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
1 member likes this: David
Ira L #59342 08/22/21 04:10 AM

Ira,

Exactly. I only use a fraction of Keyboard Maestro's ability, but nonetheless find it incredibly useful.

David #59348 08/22/21 08:44 AM

Y'all guys are way more "needy" than I am. tongue

Between Butler for launching and its other functionality, and Breeze for window control, I never find myself craving more.

Keyboard Maestro does sound fascinating, though, and I'll certainly keep it in mind against possible future need.

artie505 #59349 08/22/21 01:17 PM

Y'all guys are way more "needy" than I am. tongue

Between Butler for launching and its other functionality, and Breeze for window control, I never find myself craving more.

Keyboard Maestro does sound fascinating, though, and I'll certainly keep it in mind against possible future need.

FYI Keyboard Maestro offers a free trial. You may find you are needier than you think. 😜

— Albert Einstein

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard