for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Find My App
#59294 08/13/21 09:36 PM
OP Offline

I used to use the Find My app to find my phone when I misplaced it at home. It would make a sound from my phone so I could find it. Now I looked at the app and all it does is show a map saying it's in my home. No option for an alert noise. How is that helpful?

I have the 1.0 version and don't see any other versions for Catalina.

I then d/l'd Bluetooth Lost BLE Finder but it keeps asking me to d/l it to my phone too which I already have done, but there is no communication.

Another thing is I used to find my phone by calling myself from FaceTime on my mac, but that no longer works either. I can hear it "ringing" on the Mac but nothing comes out of my phone when I test it. I have it set to a certain sound so it should work. I could reboot my phone but I'm always doing that. Boo hoo!!!

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Re: Find My App
plantsower #59295 08/13/21 10:02 PM

In the FindMy app follow the two steps shown here and this menu of options will appear. Click where indicated to play a sound on your iPhone.

NOTE: FindMy works pretty much the same way in iOS, iPadOS, and iCloud.com.

Last edited by joemikeb; 08/13/21 10:05 PM. Reason: My post sounded unintentionally snarky

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #59296 08/13/21 11:00 PM
OP Offline

Thanks. After clicking iPhone the map popped up as usual but not the menu until I clicked the "i" and then it gave me the options. I don't call that intuitive. At least I know what to do now. Thanks again.

Originally Posted by joemikeb
In the FindMy app follow the two steps shown here and this menu of options will appear. Click where indicated to play a sound on your iPhone.

NOTE: FindMy works pretty much the same way in iOS, iPadOS, and iCloud.com.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #59301 08/14/21 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by plantsower
Thanks. After clicking iPhone the map popped up as usual but not the menu until I clicked the "i" and then it gave me the options. I don't call that intuitive. At least I know what to do now. Thanks again.

Granted the info icon is not intuitively obvious but IIRC that change was instituted when airTags were added to the devices that Find My is responsible for locating. It is an attempt at preventing the user interface from becoming too crowded and thereby less useful.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #59304 08/14/21 06:37 PM
OP Offline

It makes me realize I need to pay attention to those "i's". Thanks.

Originally Posted by joemikeb
Originally Posted by plantsower

Granted the info icon is not intuitively obvious but IIRC that change was instituted when airTags were added to the devices that Find My is responsible for locating. It is an attempt at preventing the user interface from becoming too crowded and thereby less useful.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard