for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Can someone please explain this
#59282 08/12/21 07:07 AM
OP Online

A while back, NYC sent out a "something" warning about Covid to New Yorkers.

I've got an iPhone, but no phone plan. I use it exclusively with WiFi, and mostly keep it turned off.

When I finally turned my phone on after that "something" went out I found it on my screen immediately...even before I pressed the home button.

Can someone please explain how that "something" got to my phone, which, technically, doesn't even exist.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: Can someone please explain this
artie505 #59284 08/12/21 04:55 PM

You may not have a phone plan, but do you have a SIM card installed or is the phone registered with a cellular provider? That is, even with no plan, is it a Verizon or AT&T, etc. model?

My thought is that somewhat akin to Amber Alerts, the "something" warning could still be pushed through by a network provider. crazy

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #59286 08/12/21 05:09 PM
OP Online

As far as I know, I haven't got a SIM card, but the phone is a Verizon phone (if I'm saying it correctly).

Maybe that's it?

Thanks, Ira.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #59287 08/12/21 05:38 PM

There are two possible routes the "something" warning about Covid to New Yorkers could have reached your iPhone:

Originally Posted by VIA YOUR ISP
NYC sent the "something" warning to your ISP for distribution to every device that connects to their network and it is there waiting for any new device to connect. When you turned the iPhone on it contacted your local router and from there the ISP's network and was recognized as a new device and the notification sent.

Originally Posted by VIA THE TELCO
Even though the signal travels to and from your phone via the internet, there must be a telephone number associated with the call for it to enter the telephone system network to communicate with another device and any calls are "charged" against the account associated with that telephone number. My Mac and even my iPad Pro and Apple Watch that have cellular capability and therefore their own unique "telephone" numbers, use my iPhone's telephone number (account) to make or receive telephone/facetime calls.

NYC sent the "something" warning to the telephone company for distribution to every phone that contacts their switching center in the city it is there waiting for any new device (telephone number) to access" that switch. When you turned the iPhone on it signaled its presence via the internet and was recognized as a new device (number) and the notification sent. The actual telco switch that was "hit" is a function of the location of your ISP.

If you are wondering what Telephone number/account is associated with your iPhone, it will be found in Settings > General > My Number

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
artie505 #59290 08/12/21 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by artie505
As far as I know, I haven't got a SIM card, but the phone is a Verizon phone (if I'm saying it correctly).

Maybe that's it?

If you want to know whether or not you have a SIM card, go to Settings > General > About and scroll down, way down to Physical SIM or Available SIM and see what you find there. If there is a SIM card you will find it there. The available SIM can be built-in electronic but it can work just like a SIM card.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #59298 08/14/21 12:58 AM
OP Online

Originally Posted by joemikeb
There are two possible routes the "something" warning about Covid to New Yorkers could have reached your iPhone:

Originally Posted by VIA YOUR ISP
NYC sent the "something" warning to your ISP for distribution to every device that connects to their network and it is there waiting for any new device to connect. When you turned the iPhone on it contacted your local router and from there the ISP's network and was recognized as a new device and the notification sent.
That one sounds like what happened. Thanks.

joemikeb #59299 08/14/21 01:00 AM
OP Online

If you want to know whether or not you have a SIM card, go to Settings > General > About and scroll down, way down to Physical SIM or Available SIM and see what you find there. If there is a SIM card you will find it there. The available SIM can be built-in electronic but it can work just like a SIM card.
My iOS 12.5.4 does not have that setting, nor do I see anything similar.

My iPhone has got a SIM card slot, but I don't think there's a card in it.

artie505 #59300 08/14/21 05:56 PM

My iPhone has got a SIM card slot, but I don't think there's a card in it.

Like most removable devices in Unix based operating systems such as macOS, iOS, and iPadOS an item does not appear in System Preferences/Settings unless the device is present. Therefore its absence in Settings is a confirmation of the absence of a SIM card in your phone.

GIVEN: that a working telephone number is theoretically required for entry into the telephone network…

THEN: What, if any, telephone number is your iPhone using to make phone calls? I can postulate several possibilities, but most, or all, of them are not supposed to work.

SUGGESTION: Call a friend, preferably one that does not have an Apple ID, using your iPhone and see what calling phone number appears on their phone.
  1. If it is a number you recognize the source of the number being used may be self-explanatory.
  2. What happens if you call that number using your iPhone?
  3. What happens if you call that number using your land-line or another cellular phone?

Hopefully the answers to these questions will at least point in the direction of any answer to how this is working.

IN ANY CASE: I would be VERY interested in what you come up with.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #59302 08/14/21 06:14 PM
OP Online

GIVEN: that a working telephone number is theoretically required for entry into the telephone network…

THEN: What, if any, telephone number is your iPhone using to make phone calls? I can postulate several possibilities, but most, or all, of them are not supposed to work.

Referring back to my OP: "I've got an iPhone, but no phone plan. I use it exclusively with WiFi...."

That's why I concluded that the "something" came from my ISP.

artie505 #59303 08/14/21 06:32 PM

Referring back to my OP: "I've got an iPhone, but no phone plan. I use it exclusively with WiFi...."

That's why I concluded that the "something" came from my ISP.

No argument with your conclusion. I should have admitted my last response was not your question, but mine. I am trying to figure out how you can place telephone calls via the internet without having a telephone number associated with your phone.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #59305 08/15/21 08:04 AM
OP Online

SUGGESTION: Call a friend, preferably one that does not have an Apple ID, using your iPhone and see what calling phone number appears on their phone.
  1. If it is a number you recognize the source of the number being used may be self-explanatory.
  2. What happens if you call that number using your iPhone?
  3. What happens if you call that number using your land-line or another cellular phone?

Hopefully the answers to these questions will at least point in the direction of any answer to how this is working.

IN ANY CASE: I would be VERY interested in what you come up with.
I'm dead-ended at "Call a friend...."

When I dial a number, my iPhone reacts as if I've got cellular access, but it never makes a connection.

artie505 #59306 08/15/21 02:54 PM

I'm dead-ended at "Call a friend...."

When I dial a number, my iPhone reacts as if I've got cellular access, but it never makes a connection.

THANKS ARTIE! for confirming my assertion a valid telephone number/account is necessary for access to the telephone network — even if the connection is via the internet.

— Albert Einstein

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard