for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Passcode???
#59272 08/10/21 04:43 PM
OP Offline

I am in a pickle. I can never get my cell phone data to kick in when my internet goes out. I looked online and one of the fixes is to take out the SIM card and reinsert. I did that. Now when I try to reset network settings I get asked for a 4 digit passcode! It's never asked that before and I don't have a 4 digit passcode, I have an 8 digit pass code. I tried the first 4 digits but it rejected it. I don't want my phone to become a doorstop because of this stupid passcode issue. I don't want to pay Apple to help me. I hope there is an answer to this. frown

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Re: Passcode???
plantsower #59273 08/10/21 04:57 PM

The 4 digit passcode could be the PIN that your cellular provider requires for "changes", like pulling a SIM card. You may not realize you have one, so contact your cellular provider and hear what they have to say.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #59274 08/10/21 07:41 PM
OP Offline

Thank you. I will do that. Crossing fingers!

Originally Posted by Ira L
The 4 digit passcode could be the PIN that your cellular provider requires for "changes", like pulling a SIM card. You may not realize you have one, so contact your cellular provider and hear what they have to say.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Ira L #59275 08/10/21 08:14 PM
OP Offline

OK. I called my provider and asked about the pin number. They gave me two different ones. I tried but they didn't work.

I also can't get data to turn on when the wi-fi goes out, so she told me to turn my phone off, remove the SIM card, wait 60 seconds, return the card and then turn on phone. I'm telling you this because then I went to get into my phone after following her instructions, I was locked out as usual. I put in the first 4 digits of my old passcode and it opened the phone!! Now I don't need all 8 digits for some reason. What??

After I got into my phone I went to "Reset Network Settings". Again it asked for a password which it never did before, so I plugged in the first four digits of my old password and it opened up! This is crazy, but now I can get in.

Thanks for having me call my provider because it helped a lot, just in a weird way. I still can't get data to work when wi-fi is turned off, so maybe I should start another thread for that. I think I did that before but I don't remember the input! LOL!

Thanks again, Ira.

Originally Posted by Ira L

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #59276 08/10/21 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by plantsower
Thanks for having me call my provider because it helped a lot, just in a weird way. I still can't get data to work when wi-fi is turned off, so maybe I should start another thread for that. I think I did that before but I don't remember the input! LOL!

Cellular data can be turned on or off in Settings > Cellular, but it also has to be enabled on an app-by-app basis (usually the third setting on each app, under Siri & Search, and Notifications.)

Actually you can safely leave cellular data turned on permanently. All apps will use Wifi if it is available and will only resort to cellular data if WiFi is turned off or not available and then only if the particular app you re using has be permitted to use cellular data in settings. The sole exception to this is, of course, Phone.

Last edited by joemikeb; 08/10/21 10:09 PM. Reason: fat fingers

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #59277 08/10/21 11:08 PM
OP Offline

Cellular data can be turned on or off in Settings > Cellular, but it also has to be enabled on an app-by-app basis (usually the third setting on each app, under Siri & Search, and Notifications.)

Could you explain that a little differently about Siri, Search and Notifications? I'm not sure what what it is I am supposed to do exactly.

I looked on my app, and there is no choice to use cellular data so you must have meant something else.

Actually you can safely leave cellular data turned on permanently. All apps will use Wifi if it is available and will only resort to cellular data if WiFi is turned off or not available and then only if the particular app you re using has be permitted to use cellular data in settings. The sole exception to this is, of course, Phone. [/quote]

I actually do leave cellular data on at all times. I have an app I use a lot, and I really want data to work when wi-fi is out. I also use Gas Buddy which I used to be able to use on the road using cellular data but I can't seem to anymore. So, something is screwy on my phone I guess or not enabled correctly.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #59278 08/11/21 07:40 PM

Could you explain that a little differently about Siri, Search and Notifications? I'm not sure what what it is I am supposed to do exactly.

I looked on my app, and there is no choice to use cellular data so you must have meant something else.

Given how poorly worded and explained my comment was, it is no wonder that you were confused.
Note to self: never go on-line while still blowing off anesthesia after a medical procedure, no matter how lucid you THINK you are.

Let me see if I can do better this time.
  1. Cellular data can be turned off and on for the entire device in Settings > Cellular. NOTE: that is cellular DATA only! Phone calls and SMS messaging is always on when the iPhone is on.
  2. Apps however, have to be authorized access to cellular data otherwise they are limited to using ONLY WiFi data.
  3. That access must be authorized on an app-by-app basis in Settings. FOR EXAMPLE: in Settings > Mail on the iPhone you will see this which is typical of any app that access data from the internet. NOTE: That is in the Settings app and not to be confused with the in-app settings found in some apps.

I actually do leave cellular data on at all times. I have an app I use a lot, and I really want data to work when wi-fi is out. I also use Gas Buddy which I used to be able to use on the road using cellular data but I can't seem to anymore. So, something is screwy on my phone I guess or not enabled correctly.

Go to Settings > GasBuddy and be sure Cellular Data is Turned ON. If it is and Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data is turned ON. Gas buddy should work. If it doesn't, try this:
  1. Go to Settings > General > iPhone Storage > GasBuddy (NOTE: You can touch the search icon (🔍) in Settings > General > iPhone storage to find the GasBuddy entry)
  2. Tap GasBuddy
  3. Tap Offload app (this will remove the app, but leave its data and settings)
  4. Quit Settings
  5. Launch App Store and install GasBuddy.

I use the Offload option, because it retains settings and data, but I if doesn't solve the issue, on the theory the issue might be data or settings related, you could repeat the process but use the Delete option. If I recall Correctly this "fix" was first mentioned by Artie505(?), and I have since used it to "fix" an issue with one of my critical apps and it works! 👍

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #59279 08/11/21 10:41 PM
OP Offline

Thank you! I followed your directions for Gas Buddy and cellular was already on. I don't know why it wouldn't work unless I was in a non-AT&T area. For instance, at work I cannot make a phone call from inside the building while those with Verizon can.

I followed the same instructions for my other app and turned on cellular. I didn't know about this so thanks very much.

Originally Posted by joemikeb

Given how poorly worded and explained my comment was, it is no wonder that you were confused.
Note to self: never go on-line while still blowing off anesthesia after a medical procedure, no matter how lucid you THINK you are.

Let me see if I can do better this time.
  1. Cellular data can be turned off and on for the entire device in Settings > Cellular. NOTE: that is cellular DATA only! Phone calls and SMS messaging is always on when the iPhone is on.
  2. Apps however, have to be authorized access to cellular data otherwise they are limited to using ONLY WiFi data.
  3. That access must be authorized on an app-by-app basis in Settings. FOR EXAMPLE: in Settings > Mail on the iPhone you will see this which is typical of any app that access data from the internet. NOTE: That is in the Settings app and not to be confused with the in-app settings found in some apps.

Go to Settings > GasBuddy and be sure Cellular Data is Turned ON. If it is and Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data is turned ON. Gas buddy should work. If it doesn't, try this:
  1. Go to Settings > General > iPhone Storage > GasBuddy (NOTE: You can touch the search icon (🔍) in Settings > General > iPhone storage to find the GasBuddy entry)
  2. Tap GasBuddy
  3. Tap Offload app (this will remove the app, but leave its data and settings)
  4. Quit Settings
  5. Launch App Store and install GasBuddy.

I use the Offload option, because it retains settings and data, but I if doesn't solve the issue, on the theory the issue might be data or settings related, you could repeat the process but use the Delete option. If I recall Correctly this "fix" was first mentioned by Artie505(?), and I have since used it to "fix" an issue with one of my critical apps and it works! 👍

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #59280 08/12/21 12:23 AM

Thank you! I followed your directions for Gas Buddy and cellular was already on. I don't know why it wouldn't work unless I was in a non-AT&T area. For instance, at work I cannot make a phone call from inside the building while those with Verizon can.

I followed the same instructions for my other app and turned on cellular. I didn't know about this so thanks very much.

If no signal is the issue with GasBuddy there is a possible fix, but be aware that fix MAY have a cost in real dollars and cents. In Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data Options set Data Roaming ON. That allows your AT&T phone to send and receive DATA over other provider's networks. That happens all the time with telephone calls, but DATA via a foreign network will show up as an additional charge on your AT&T bill. How much it would cost I can't say, but it can be anywhere from barely noticeable to substantial. My guess is it would be much closer to the former than the latter.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #59281 08/12/21 01:48 AM
OP Offline

[color:#FF0000]Hi Joe: I learned a lot from you today. It was very helpful learning about turning cell data on separately on each app.

I called my provider, and they told me they don't provide data roaming. I'm guessing because the cost is so cheap for the service.

Thanks again.
[/color]

Originally Posted by joemikeb

If no signal is the issue with GasBuddy there is a possible fix, but be aware that fix MAY have a cost in real dollars and cents. In Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data Options set Data Roaming ON. That allows your AT&T phone to send and receive DATA over other provider's networks. That happens all the time with telephone calls, but DATA via a foreign network will show up as an additional charge on your AT&T bill. How much it would cost I can't say, but it can be anywhere from barely noticeable to substantial. My guess is it would be much closer to the former than the latter.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #59283 08/12/21 04:10 PM

Hi Joe: I learned a lot from you today. It was very helpful learning about turning cell data on separately on each app.

For me, it is more important that I can turn Cellular data OFF for most apps and only activate it for apps that are critical when I am in transit, such as GasBuddy, Maps, inRoute, Near Me, Yelp, Audible, etc. so I don't end up inadvertently using Cellular data downloads for information that is not essential to what I am doing at the moment.

I called my provider, and they told me they don't provide data roaming. I'm guessing because the cost is so cheap for the service.

That's interesting. I had AT&T for several years and relied on Data Roaming when I was traveling in areas where their coverage was spotty or non-existent such as far west Texas and the mountains of northern New Mexico and southern Colorado, but I changed providers last year and was unaware they no longer provide Data Roaming.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #59285 08/12/21 05:06 PM
OP Offline

That's interesting. I had AT&T for several years and relied on Data Roaming when I was traveling in areas where their coverage was spotty or non-existent such as far west Texas and the mountains of northern New Mexico and southern Colorado, but I changed providers last year and was unaware they no longer provide Data Roaming. [/quote]

It's not that AT&T no longer provides Data Roaming. It's my carrier that doesn't. It's Puretalkusa (which offers a week's free trial) and they rent AT&T towers. It guess it's not financially in their best interest to provide Data Roaming.

I've told several people about Puretalkusa but they won't listen to me. They also don't provide service overseas but I never go anyway. Besides, I think I can get a SIM card from any country that would provide one from what I hear to get a cheap rate and not pay roaming charges that most companies charge.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #59288 08/12/21 06:12 PM

It's not that AT&T no longer provides Data Roaming. It's my carrier that doesn't. It's Puretalkusa (which offers a week's free trial) and they rent AT&T towers. It guess it's not financially in their best interest to provide Data Roaming.

I've told several people about Puretalkusa but they won't listen to me.
Mobile Virtual Network Operators (MVNOs) like Puretalkusa, Cricket, Mint Mobile, et. al. are an interesting subject unto themselves and generally offer the lowest prices but although they rent bandwidth from the big three providers (AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon) they often do not have the same coverage range and lack coverage extending options like Data Roaming. I frequently travel into rural areas where the most reliable coverage is from a local coop or similar so Data Roaming becomes necessary.

They also don't provide service overseas but I never go anyway. Besides, I think I can get a SIM card from any country that would provide one from what I hear to get a cheap rate and not pay roaming charges that most companies charge.
And on newer iPhones you can stack SIM cards so you can switch networks on the fly, and there are even DATA only networks if you use a LOT of cellular data.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #59289 08/12/21 06:20 PM
OP Offline

Mobile Virtual Network Operators (MVNOs) like Puretalkusa, Cricket, Mint Mobile, et. al. are an interesting subject unto themselves and generally offer the lowest prices but although they rent bandwidth from the big three providers (AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon) they often do not have the same coverage range and lack coverage extending options like Data Roaming. I frequently travel into rural areas where the most reliable coverage is from a local coop or similar so Data Roaming becomes necessary.

I live in a rural area and on some of the backroads and certain areas in town I can't get cell service. It's not that important to me but it if was, I would definitely get a service that provided Data Roaming now that I know what it's for.

They also don't provide service overseas but I never go anyway. Besides, I think I can get a SIM card from any country that would provide one from what I hear to get a cheap rate and not pay roaming charges that most companies charge.
And on newer iPhones you can stack SIM cards so you can switch networks on the fly, and there are even DATA only networks if you use a LOT of cellular data. [/quote]

Good to know. My son probably knows this as he has had to go overseas a lot for work.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard