FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
When Google Maps or Apple no sound
#59138 07/12/21 06:23 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Often, the sounds stops for both Maps or Google Map, but directions are ok. Any clues to this occasionally occurring glitch.

Sound will be working for months and then not.. Maybe comes back too or self resolves. Frustrating when happen. I'm not aware of changing anything.

Re: When Google Maps or Apple no sound
kevs #59139 07/12/21 07:17 PM

One or two questions to flesh out the problem space:
  1. iPhone, iPad, Mac?
  2. iOS. iPadOS, or macOS and version number?
  3. Is this in your car?
  4. If you are in the car does have you ever connected your device connect to the entertainment system in your car?
  5. Is that connection via bluetooth or USB?
  6. Do you use CarPlay? Are you using Carplay when this occurs?
  7. Are there other apps such as Music, Phone, Audible, etc. playing on the device when this occurs?
  8. Do other audio sources play normally when this occurs?
  9. Do you ever use Airpods or other buetooth connected output devices with this particular device? If so are they anywhere within 100 feet when this occurs?

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #59140 07/12/21 07:35 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Joe iphone 7

YEs in the Car

Phone is connected to car stereo, via USB

No carplay never head of it.

Don't think other apps going.

Think other apps hearing sound ok.

No Airpods

kevs #59141 07/12/21 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by kevs
Thanks Joe iphone 7

YEs in the Car

Phone is connected to car stereo, via USB

No carplay never head of it.

Don't think other apps going.

Think other apps hearing sound ok.

No Airpods
  • Carplay is a function on the iPhone that permits it to connect with an application in your vehicles entertainment system that transfers control of the phone and certain of its apps to the vehicles entertainment system. If your car supports it and you are not using it (you may have to set it up in the vehicle's entertainment system menu) you are really missing a useful function.
  • USB should be more reliable than Bluetooth, particularly bluetooth 4.2 that is in your iPhone 7 but without Carplay the USB may not be doing anything but charging you iPhone?. Try turning bluetooth off in Settings and see if you have any connection at all. (IIRC we have chatted about this previously.)
  • You mentioned iPhone 7 but the iOS version is equally important. The Audible app in Carplay on my iPhone 12 running iOS 13 exhibited dropouts similar to what you are describing. Those disappeared in the later versions of iOS 14. I encountered the issue in Audible and Carplay, but to be fair I have to say the only iPhone apps I ever use in the car are Audible, Maps, Phone, and Siri.

To be honest I never found a reliable work-around for the issue much less a cure other than updating to the latest iOS versions. The work-around that worked the most often was to, turn off the ignition in the car being sure the entertainment system quit as well, disconnect the iPhone, restart the iPhone, take several deep breaths, reconnect the iPhone, start the car. — and that was closer to 80% than to 100% successful.

One other thing trick sometimes worked was rather than trying to activate everything through the entertainment system and Carplay would be to start start the playing using the app on the iPhone.

The good news is with iOS 14.7(?) and iOS 15 none of that has not been necessary.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #59143 07/12/21 11:56 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Joe, ah.. don't think car issue at all.

BTW my Alpine in car is now 8 years, it's 3rd party, not entertainment system; just receiver.

Anyway, walking around to today, no car, Apple Maps, has volume. But Google Maps does not.

Ironically that bug of a navigation without the volume (ie instructions being heard) was for years reversed: Apple Maps having no volume, and then Google Maps always consistent with volume. Now it's reversed.m Google Maps is the issue

BTW, I mentioned in previous post screen going dark for a couple of apps: one Audible, and other an obscure app. But... no other apps have this issue, just those two...your listening along and bam no sound iphone goes dark, and consistent bug.. for those 2 apps. Is it the apps or iphone? Have no idea.

IOS is: 14.6

kevs #59144 07/13/21 01:05 AM

There you go again, shooting down all my ideas. 🤯 Does the Google maps audio come through your Alpine or are you hearing it on the iPhone's speakers? If it is coming from the Alpine's speakers, do you get sound when bluetooth on the phone is switched off? Please forgive my curiosity, I haven't encountered a system such as yours before.

Thinking out loud: If you are getting sound in the car from Music, Maps, or any other source and the intermittent problem is limited to one or two apps, then logicalluy the issue would have to be with the apps. An issue with bluetooth, USB, or iOS would effect all apps equally. Apple provides the APIs and it is up to the application developer to communicate correctly via those APIs. Both Google Maps and Audible were developed for platforms other than iOS (or any other mac OS) and "ported" to iOS and Apple silicon which is not uncommon, but depending on how the port was made it has the potential for producing difficult issues to detect, troubleshoot, and fix. Apple's relentless 1 year development cycle does not make third party developers jobs an easier.

That said, my personal response would be to report the issue to Apple being careful to layout the situation in complete and painstaking detail including all everything we have discussed in this thread via Apple Feedback and let Apple make the decision whether to forward the information to Google and/or Amazon. Apple might also identify something in iOS that is contributing to the issue. It really is worth doing.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #59145 07/13/21 02:50 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

JOe it's the app of course, never implied in title that Bluetooth or Apple, actually it's Google Maps, my guess... but who knows.. sometimes Apple Maps directions don't say anything. This is independent of the car. I discover it while driving, but really even walking same thing.

Never had that happen with navigation, sound not come on?

As for other issue, probably apps too, you seen Audible go black, any idea why that is? I'll write Audible too. about it.

kevs #59146 07/13/21 02:18 PM

If you look at the App Store's Privacy Report for Audible and Google Maps you will find they both phone home often with a LOT of information about you. Google Maps is particularly scary because of the breadth of data it reveals about you. Without knowing anything about the internal details of either app, it is conceivable that any interruption or breakdown in that chain of communication could cause the app to misbehave. That communications breakdown could originate anywhere from their servers to their app on your iPhone.

I ditched Google Maps a long time ago because of its relentless information gathering, and I would ditch Audible if I could find an alternative with a competitive library.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #59147 07/13/21 05:55 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Joe I just got off the phone with Audible, and guy says this is a known issue, (going off) and you need to delete the app and reinstall it.

I heard of that solution for other iphone apps but not yet intuitive to do that.. I usually wait the the app developer to suggest it.

For Google Maps they have no customer service, maybe I should do that too? No harm..

As for privacy, I'm not as jack up as you are, though I great appreciate all your tips on privacy.. (especially with real bank accounts, hacking issue with my own websites etc.. etc) . But in regards to browser and Google prodcuts,I still use Chrome and the rest, (maybe Tor once in blue moon), and I know that have a dossier on me, etc, and I let it go... and hope for the best.

For Amazon, been shopping there for 20 years or so. Super good service and convenience, great return policies. Prices are not as cheap as used to be and the guy who owns it has a bit too much money; but still a decent company.. PIty they own audible. I just tried Audible for 2 months and great, but going to give it a rest. I only need it if I want to hear a great book I've already read, and the local library does not have the CD version to loan out. I find free podcast have about as much good content..

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard