Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
iphone going off -- apps
#58887 06/13/21 06:21 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Some apps on iphone seem to turn off after a few minutes. This is new and odd. Is there some setting that got toggled? Thanks.

Re: iphone going off -- apps
kevs #58888 06/13/21 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by kevs
Some apps on iphone seem to turn off after a few minutes. This is new and odd. Is there some setting that got toggled? Thanks.
More information would be helpful such as...
  • What model iPhone do you have?
  • What version of iOS are you running?
  • What specific App(s) are turning off?
  • When you say "turn off after a few minutes", what are you observing? Is the screen going dim? is the screen going dark? If you drag up a shot distance from the bottom of the screen is the app there?

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #58889 06/13/21 07:19 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Joe thanks, iphone 7,
apps are Audible and Chant buddy
Both are turning off after about 5 min, screen goes dark, audio off. Then I manually touch home button to get back on.

joemikeb #58891 06/13/21 09:38 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Yes both playing, hearing the book then goes off black; then push home screen and back in action.

kevs #58892 06/13/21 10:26 PM

I realized that was a dumb question, when I re-read your response. blush

The first thing that comes to mind is the new feature Screen Time (Settings > Screen Time): There are a lot of options under Screen time and you will find full details here.
Also take a look at Settings > Display & Brightness > Auto-Lock.

Given the age of your iPhone, you might also take a look at Settings > Battery > Battery Health, If your battery is approaching EOL (End Of Life) your phone might be switching to Low Power mode apps to conserve remaining battery life. (Battery HD+ provides the best and if fully calibrated, most accurate picture of remaining battery life I have found.)

— Albert Einstein
kevs #58894 06/14/21 05:16 PM

Yes both playing, hearing the book then goes off black; then push home screen and back in action.

Also check to see if there are any settings in the apps themselves that might affect this.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #58896 06/14/21 10:33 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks guys.

Joe, screentime, don't think interested in all that. You like any of that stuff?
So weird they put auto lock in display / brightness. That said, I'm at 5 min, but don't think that has anything to do with apps going off, right?
Battery says something is at 85%; all I understand there.
Audible Ira, has cellular data set to green (on?), and Background app refresh off, greyed out, whatever that means.

Some new news:
Verizon plan for 2nd month row got low on data today, with 7 days to go (only 5 GB prepaid), so I upgrade to their 15GB data plan today from 5GB.. I never needed that much, but now I've surrendered to playing more stuff online, books, podcasts etc, so that could be issue / factor?

I did notice at ocean, today, I'm 1/2 hour inland, I have 4 bars, and still was not connecting well.

And finally, says due for update to 14.6

The new phone will come when forced to no problem.

kevs #58897 06/14/21 11:41 PM

Joe, screentime, don't think interested in all that. You like any of that stuff?

So weird they put auto lock in display / brightness. That said, I'm at 5 min, but don't think that has anything to do with apps going off, right?
Screentime is useful for adults with too much time on their hands or children who would rather play that study. I didn't think you would find it appropriate but it might have gotten activated and therefore responsible of Audible cutting off.

Originally Posted by keys
Battery says something is at 85%; all I understand there.
That indicates the current state of charge in your battery. If it gets too low the iPhone automatically dims the screen and starts shutting power consuming apps down to prevent running the battery flat and potentially causing you communications or data loss. The Batteries HD+ app I mentioned gives you a reasonably accurate idea of how long you battery will last at the current rate of discharge.

Audible Ira, has cellular data set to green (on?), and Background app refresh off, greyed out, whatever that means.
That means Audible can stream or download data when you do not have a WiFi connection and Background app refresh means it can download in the background even when the app is not running.

Some new news:
Verizon plan for 2nd month row got low on data today, with 7 days to go (only 5 GB prepaid), so I upgrade to their 15GB data plan today from 5GB.. I never needed that much, but now I've surrendered to playing more stuff online, books, podcasts etc, so that could be issue / factor?
I don't know about Verizon but many providers will dramatically slow your connection when you use up all your time and others just cut you off. So yes that could easily have been part of the problem.

I did notice at ocean, today, I'm 1/2 hour inland, I have 4 bars, and still was not connecting well.
The number of bars indicates the signal strength but gives no indication of the available bandwidth. Bandwidth is a shared resource and there more users accessing a cell at a given point in time the less bandwidth that is available to each individual connection. Near the ocean this time of year, and i would bet the load on those cells is enormous. Part of the buzz about 5G is because it has significantly greater bandwidth. (think of it as adding more lanes on the intersate) You will need a new iPhone to take advantage of that.

And finally, says due for update to 14.6
Recommended, but be aware your phone may run a bit slower for a few days until all the background sorting and rearranging tasks are finished.

The new phone will come when forced to no problem.
It sounds as if you are about at that point, but you might want to hold off until you see what the next generation iPhone options are.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #58898 06/15/21 03:46 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Joe, you know when next generation is coming out? Did not a new batch come out recently?

PS, and tonight: updated IOS at same time: iphone, and ipad. Ipad done quickly, yet iphone taking way way longer. Is that odd?

Last edited by kevs; 06/15/21 05:44 AM.
kevs #58899 06/15/21 12:53 PM

No I don’t know when new iPhones will either be announced or released, MacRumors is a good source of information on what and when.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #58900 06/15/21 01:08 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks, Joe I do visit that great site. Well normally, I use things till the end. I'm driving an early 200s Mercedes I got new and may just keep it forever or until it get totalled or something. But with Mac, yeah, had to replace my Macbook Air after nine years because of OS. Though I would have kept that too!

So with iphone 7, what is the downside of hanging onto it? You would not keep it even if it's it ok with new IOS..... or upgrade when/ why, anyway?

kevs #58907 06/16/21 01:03 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

PS Joe not in loop. So iphone 11 wont to the 5G? Mac Rumours has 12, at Neutral to maybe wait for 13, to hit the streets.......

If 11 did 5G I'd be ok with 11.

kevs #58908 06/16/21 06:21 PM

The iPhone 11 does NOT do 5G. The modem and antennae are incapable of connecting to the 5G bands. Although it may report that it is connected to a 5G cellular network but that is only the cellular provider's marketing hype. (At least that is what I experienced when I was using AT&T, my current provider, T-Mobile, correctly reports the connection as LTE on the iPhone 11 and 5G on the 3rd generation iPad Pro.) Neither is it available on the iPhone 12 SE, you have to go to an iPhone 12 Pro to get actual 5G capability

But before you get too hung up on 5G you need to be aware that 5G is a mixed bag of technologies and protocols ranging in performance from very little more speed than LTE to speeds competitive with some wired or satellite networks and at the upper speed ranges battery life is measured in minutes not hours. And although the major cellular providers claim nation-wide or near nation-wide coverage the high speed wide band coverage is available only in a very few, very major, cities and even there often only in the city center. Even if you had an iPhone capable of 5G Wide band and were in an area where it is available AI in the iPhone analyzes your usage patterns and what you are currently doing and unless there is a need for speed, such as downloading multi-terabyte files will switch your connection to the lower speed networks to conserve battery life.

Based on your description of how you use your iPhone, 5G wide band would not appear to offer any great advantage. In fact the 15% faster processor and twice as much memory in the iPhone 11 would probably yield far more noticeable performance improvement than 5G for around 80% of your use. Even if you went up to the iPhone 12 with 5G, the biggest performance improvement you would be likely to see would still be the result of an even faster processor and more memory, not 5G. That is why I am keeping my iPhone 11 Pro Max, but I will re-evaluate that decision when I see what the iPhone 13 has to offer (my current major decision point is whether the modem in the iPhone 13 is an Apple design or third party — I want to see what Apple can do when the modem is integrated into the processor itself.)

SUGGESTIONS:
  • Settings > Wi-Fi: ON
  • Settings > Wi - Fi > Ask to join Networks: OFF (this can eat battery power)
  • Settings > Wi - Fi > Auto-Join Hotspot: NEVER (huge security risk)
  • Every place you go that has public Wi-Fi that you trust Join it (you phone will remember and join it the next time you are there and will join automatically, generally faster than cellular)
  • Settings > Personal Hotspot: OFF
  • Settings > Personal Hotspot > Allow others to join: OFF (pirates can eat up your cellular data time
  • Settings > Personal Hotspot > Wi-FI Password: set a good password just in case you ever intentionally want to share your hot spot you still want it protected.
  • Settings > Cellular > Wi-Fi Calling; ON (this uses your cellular account but routes the traffic through your WiFi connection and is often faster and more reliable than the cellular network
  • Settings > Cellular > Allow Calls on other devices: This permits you to make phone calls on your Mac or iPad and is often handy
  • Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data: Take a hard look at every app that is asking to use cellular data and fearlessly eliminate any that are unlikely to be needed when you are mobile and/or can wait to be used when you have WiFi connectivity.
  • Settings > Cellular > Wi-FI Assist: ON (allows cellular data to be used automatically when WiFi connection is poor. I used to switch WiFi off and on to get connectivity, but this option has eliminated that.)
  • Settings > Cellular > iCloud Drive: ON (Permits connection to iCloud when not connected to WiFi) Not essential, but I find it very handy and it consumes few resources in normal use.
  • Think of cellular data as something to be used only rarely and only when other options (see pubic wifi networks) are not available or are too slow and overloaded.

NOTE: I just performed a network speed test comparing my iPhone 11 with an LTE connection to my third generation iPad Pro with a 5G connection. The iPad Pro's download speed was 98% faster and its upload 276% faster. The comparison is not Apples to Apples, but the difference is more than i anticipated. I will be taking a more serious look at iPhone 13 than I anticipated 🤔.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #58910 06/16/21 07:34 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Joe great thanks, wow. I was assuming 5G is great thing, kind of like going, waiting for the M1 chip.. just got my first laptop in nine years, the new macbook air.

So that said, I 'm very happy with my iphone 7 and was thinking of waiting for the iphone 13. But based on what saying about 5G, I could then be perfectly happy with 11.

In fact, I went from my first iphone 6 to the current: a refurbished 7 (about $450).. Hence, then just keep then 7, and get a refurbished.. 11, or 10.. or? No rush then?

I did not understand the suggestions part of your post... what suggestions for?

kevs #58911 06/16/21 09:11 PM

I did not understand the suggestions part of your post... what suggestions for?
I wasn't very clear about that was I. At least I know what I was talking about.

Those are suggestions for managing the use of cellular data on your iPhone to get the optimum balance between WiFi and cellular. I went for years with the smallest data plan AT&T offered, used my iPhone constantly, and never got close to my data limit using those settings. Of course YMMV based on your usage pattern, but from your description of how you use your iPhone it might also work for you.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #58913 06/16/21 10:53 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Joe thanks. Well I was on 2GB plan, then went to 5GB plan, and I got notified twice in last three month 2 days to 7 days out I was low. (only cause I'm starting to use Audible and listing to Podcast more...) So I upgraded two days ago to a 15 GB plan, 3x where I was, so then, I don't need to bother/ or read the suggestions do I?

If I was tapping out on a 5GB plan a week out and triple to 15GB plan that a lot of "headroom" I'm totally in the clear?

Back to next iphone: since 5G not issue, why not just stay with 7 until I can't then go to the 8, or... 9.... 10 refurbished, just save money?

kevs #58922 06/17/21 08:33 PM

Joe thanks. Well I was on 2GB plan, then went to 5GB plan, and I got notified twice in last three month 2 days to 7 days out I was low. (only cause I'm starting to use Audible and listing to Podcast more...) So I upgraded two days ago to a 15 GB plan, 3x where I was, so then, I don't need to bother/ or read the suggestions do I?

If I was tapping out on a 5GB plan a week out and triple to 15GB plan that a lot of "headroom" I'm totally in the clear?
What I am saying is I get by with a 2GB plan using the techniques and settings I outlined. I have too many Scottish roots to spend money on unused data transfers. Speaking of that, I forgot the mention I do not allow Audible to use cellular data and download books ONLY when I have a WiFi connection and then play them from storage. Even when I am on a long trip, if I need to download a new book, I do it when logged onto the Motel's or Airport's WiFi internet. Works great for me.

Back to next iphone: since 5G not issue, why not just stay with 7 until I can't then go to the 8, or... 9.... 10 refurbished, just save money?
No reason other than since you are using your phone a lot more you may find a newer iPhone with a significantly faster processor, more memory, more storage, and dramatically better display might be more satisfying to use. (My wife has an iPad, but chooses to use her iPhone 11 instead for those very reasons.) But that is entirely your decision and not a recommendation.

Last edited by joemikeb; 06/17/21 08:35 PM. Reason: D*(&^ spell checker

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #58924 06/17/21 08:46 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Joe good points, thanks. Well I'm walking around town/ streets on workouts listing to podcsts now, so I can't stick to only wifi. And even going a hair over 5gb.. just to add money is huge PITA, as Verizon makes it that way. So on prepaid, had to add another $10 month.....

Yes another point, to get that full Music library (78GB now) So I can just click sync and not do old 2k songs at a time drag over (another pita) . I'd need a 250GB phone. MIght start looking now.

So going from a refurbished 7, which has been working great, for last couple of years or to to a refurbished....? 11 has 250 GB space... or 150 or 200 might do the job...?

kevs #58926 06/17/21 10:05 PM

RULE OF THUMB:

When buying a new computer device, the model that has the most memory, most storage, and fastest processor (ie. the one that is maxed out) will be the last one to become obsolete and will remain satisfactory the longest. I won't say that is 100% true, or is the primary consideration, but it is a good rule of thumb to keep in mind.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #58928 06/17/21 11:19 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Joe. This is how I think: I keep the computer or device as long as I can for maximum value -- or until it breaks, gets stolen or does not work.. in tech usually forced Obsolescence of which Apple is the King.

That said: the iphone 7 will not work with which upgrade ios coming up?

And best price on it's replacement (with 150 GB minimum) would be which iphone?

kevs #58931 06/18/21 01:59 PM

Your iPhone 7 will support iOS 15 when it rolls out this fall. That does not mean your phone will fully support all of the features in iOS 15 as some are based on specific hardware technologies that are not in your iPhone 7.

As to the best price, I have no idea and that can vary from day to day. A better yardstick would be the best VALUE and although there are plenty of pundits who will wax eloquent on that, in my opinion it is something that can only be determined by the purchaser based on their unique needs and desires. For example I place a high value on the latest "gee whiz" technology an others may place a higher value on low cost. Neither is wrong, just different and unique to the individual.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #58934 06/18/21 06:02 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Joe, all I care about is next iphone have 150GB of storage or 200G.

If you don't iknow that ok, but does 11, or 12?

And can you guess time wise how long the 7 will work with IOS.. or when wont?

kevs #58936 06/18/21 06:41 PM

The iPhone 11, 2d generation SE, and 12, come with 64, 128, 256, or 512 GB of storage. 64 GB in these days of big apps is unrealistically small and anyone I know that has one with that storage is sorry they didn't get more. If you look at prices for new iPhone 11, SE, 12, or XR each storage increment bumps the price $100. Because I rely so much on iCloud I could get by with 128 GB — but note that is get by. My sense is you keep far more data on your phone than I tend to do so you would probably be more comfortable with 256 GB, and if you take a LOT of full res images as opposed to optimized images, the 512 GB storage in the top end iPhone 12 might be attractive.

Did I hedge that enough?? 🙄

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #58938 06/18/21 07:13 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank Joe I don't keep too much data, but I will since I'm going to put the full Music library 80GB on.. So 256 is the choice.

Between:

iPhone 11, 2d generation SE, and 12

Just maybe go with 12? Newer.. or 11 2nd. we'll see.....

And 7 could work with IOS for 2 more years, 3? 1? guess?

kevs #58942 06/18/21 10:08 PM

iOS 15 will work with iPhone 7 as long as the phone's battery lasts, whether iOS 16 will work on the iPhone 7 or not I have no idea and neither does anyone else outside of Cupertino or if they do they are under very strict non-disclosure agreements.

Apple sells a new iPhone 11 with 256 GB of memory for $749, A comparable iPhone 12 costs $200 more ($949). The $200 buys a 13% faster CPU, 5G connectivity, and probably an extra year or two of compatibility with the latest version of iOS. Apple will probably give you the same $60 or so as trade-in for your iPhone 7 on either model. You do the decision tree for yourself.

(NOTE: that is an iPhone 11 and an iPhone 12. Neither is the top of the line Pro model with the three lens camera and associated bells and whistles or the larger Max model I prefer for its larger screen that better fits my big hands and elder eyes. If you want the top end three lens camera (good enough to challenge a a decent digital SLR) or the larger form factor, the only new option is the 12 and you are looking at another $200 to $300) I justify the Pro on the basis that if I didn't have it I would spend even a lot more money on a genuine digital SLR that I would never have with me when I wanted/needed it. My wife humors me. 🤦🏻‍♀️

— Albert Einstein
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard