FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Screen Shot of Whole Page
#58858 06/11/21 04:44 PM
OP Offline

Usually when I take a screen shot it shows up on my desktop. Today I learned how to take a screen shot of the whole page by pressing Command+Control+Shift+3. It sounds like it's taking a screen shot but I can't find it.

I looked it up and some places it said to use the Screen Shot App. I don't have one. Where did it go? I've got some business to take care of and need a screen shot of a whole page.

Thanks.

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Re: Screen Shot of Whole Page
plantsower #58859 06/11/21 05:06 PM

Hi, Rita,

command+control+shift+3 copies the screenshot to your clipboard.

command+shift+3 copies it to your desktop.

And the same commands, but with "4" rather than "3" take partial screenshots.

More: Screenshot.app is in /Apps/Utilities.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
plantsower #58860 06/11/21 05:20 PM

You should be able to do just Command-Shift-5 and bring up the entire screen capture overlay. If you hover over each of the screen images in the overlay, a description pops up. Also note the small "x" on the left end of the overlay to cancel the process. Once you capture your image (the Return/Enter key will do it, along with the "Capture" button in the overlay), the image briefly appears in the lower right corner of your Desktop. If you click on it before it vanishes, you can preview your image, edit it, trash it, etc. If you do not click on it at this time, the lower right corner image will vanish and the screen shot file will appear on your Desktop.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
plantsower #58861 06/11/21 05:31 PM

For complete instructions, go to the Help menu in Finder, select macOS Help, and type screenshots

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
Ira L #58862 06/11/21 05:34 PM

New one! Thanks.

From where is that command sourced?

Ah, it looks like it's QuickTime based.

After I clicked on "Capture," I got a new icon in my menu bar, and my screenshot didn't show up on my desktop - at all - until I clicked on it....no preview. (macOS 13.15.7)

I looked again, and it's the QuickTime keyboard command to capture your screen as a movie...not at all meant for stills.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
jchuzi #58863 06/11/21 05:36 PM

Wasted effort, Jon.

Other than possibly in some specific circumstances, the command-shift keyboard combos are the quickest, most efficient way to capture screenshots.

plantsower #58864 06/11/21 05:55 PM

Look in ~/Pictures/Screenshots where ~/ represents your user home folder.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
Ira L #58865 06/11/21 06:04 PM
OP Offline

Thanks everyone. The Command+Shift+5 worked. I couldn't send them to the recipient I think because the files were too big. Is there a way to compress the Quicktime files? It wanted me to use mail drop but that's only for macs, right? This is a business I am sending to and I doubt they use a Mac.

Thanks.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #58866 06/11/21 07:25 PM

Forget that command, Rita. It makes big files because they're movies.

Use command-shift-3 to copy just what you see on your screen.

And if the page you want to copy is bigger than your screen, use command-P > Save as PDF.

artie505 #58867 06/11/21 07:30 PM
OP Offline

Thanks. I just ended up sending the url of a webpage they wanted to see. So much easier than the rolling screen shot they asked for.

Originally Posted by artie505

Use command-shift-3.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #58868 06/11/21 07:31 PM

That works! laugh

Rolling screenshot?

artie505 #58869 06/11/21 07:35 PM
OP Offline

That's what it was called when I looked up how to take a screen shot of a whole webpage.

That works! laugh

Rolling screenshot?

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #58870 06/11/21 07:55 PM

That was my guess.

In that case, the way to go is command-P > PDF > Save as PDF (which will give you multiple pages).

All the other commands deal only with what you see on your screen.

My first post lists the easiest ways to take shots of all or part of what you see on your screen.

artie505 #58871 06/11/21 08:06 PM
OP Offline

I've tried all your commands but none show the whole page. The keyboard combo I used also opens the screen shot app I guess because when I just tried it in utilities it showed exactly what I saw before. It comes out using Quicktime which was too big as I stated. I didn't know about the PDF command either. Thanks. laugh
I think I will try this when I have a chance. Pic of Whole Webpage

Hi, Rita,

command+control+shift+3 copies the screenshot to your clipboard.

command+shift+3 copies it to your desktop.

And the same commands, but with "4" rather than "3" take partial screenshots.

More: Screenshot.app is in /Apps/Utilities.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

artie505 #58872 06/11/21 08:12 PM

Rolling screenshot?
or perhaps Scrollong Screenshot?

— Albert Einstein
plantsower #58873 06/11/21 08:19 PM

As I said, all commands other than command-P... show ONLY what you see on your screen, NOT any part of the page that's above the top or below the bottom.

Your link points to "How to Turn Off Acceleration on a Mac Mouse."

Forget my ranting about movies. I was looking at the wrong part of the interface. blush

artie505 #58874 06/11/21 08:34 PM
OP Offline

No problem re: ranting. The Acceleration on the mac mouse is the second article on the same webpage. Not sure how that happened. I tried it again and it still shows the url for the second article on the page. Oh well. I will try this though I don't understand why I have to open the website in full screen in order to make the letters smaller so they can hopefully fit into a screen shot.

How to Take a Full Web Page Screen Shot on a Mac
Navigate to the Web page you want to capture. If the entire page isn't visible without scrolling, put the browser window into full-screen mode by clicking the double arrow in the upper right corner. This feature is available in Safari, Chrome and Firefox.

Hold down the "Command" key and press the "-" (minus) key to reduce the page size until you can see everything you want to capture without scrolling.

Press "Command-Shift-4" on the keyboard. The cursor changes to a crosshair pointer. Move the cursor to one corner of the web page, then press the mouse button and drag it to the opposite corner. The highlighted area indicates what will be copied. Release the mouse button. The Mac makes a camera shutter sound, and the highlighted area is saved to your desktop as a PNG image.

Move the cursor to the top of the screen. The Apple desktop menu appears. Click the blue double arrow icon in the upper right corner to exit the browser's full-screen mode. Press "Command-0" to return the browser magnification level to zero.

Double-click the screenshot image on the desktop to open it in Preview. Select "Export" from the File menu if you want to change it from PNG to another format like JPG or GIF. As I tried to follow their directions using the blue arrows in the upper right hand corner of the screen I noticed they are not there anymore. I guess just going into full screen using the green button on the left would work. Though if all I am doing is making the letters smaller on a webpage to fit it all in, I don't see why I would want to start with a full screen anyway.

I know none of your commands was talking about the full webpage, but that was what I was after.

As I said, all commands other than command-P... show ONLY what you see on your screen, NOT any part of the page that's above the top or below the bottom.

Your link points to "How to Turn Off Acceleration on a Mac Mouse."

Forget my ranting about movies. I was looking at the wrong part of the interface. blush

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #58875 06/12/21 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by plantsower
...if all I am doing is making the letters smaller on a webpage to fit it all in, I don't see why I would want to start with a full screen anyway.

I know none of your commands was talking about the full webpage, but that was what I was after.
And depending upon how big the page is, the print size could get ridiculously small.

I"m not aware of any really viable way to get a full page screenshot in just one image. Multiple command-shift-3 images or command-P with multiple images is the best I can do.

You were right on the mark sending the URL.

artie505 #58877 06/12/21 01:03 PM

Actually it is pretty easy to take a scrolling screen shot following these instructions The result is a Quicktime Movie that you can scroll to your hearts content but everything is full resolution and full size. It is even easier to accomplish in iOS, where you have the ability to markup the resulting image. Maybe that will show up in MacOS 12.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #58879 06/12/21 04:55 PM

True about QuickTime movies, but they generate extremely large sized files which can't be transmitted easily (as was Rita's intent).

artie505 #58880 06/12/21 07:18 PM

Use command-shift-3 to copy just what you see on your screen.

And if the page you want to copy is bigger than your screen, use command-P > Save as PDF.

Unless I'm missing something, Command-Shift-5 is the default keyboard shortcut (System Preferences>Keyboard>Shortcuts) that brings up all screen recording options, not just movies. One of the options is a movie, but there are others as I described in my post above. Remember one keyboard shortcut and get all of the options, plus the ability to edit them directly. smirk

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #58881 06/12/21 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Ira L
Unless I'm missing something, Command-Shift-5 is the default keyboard shortcut (System Preferences>Keyboard>Shortcuts) that brings up all screen recording options, not just movies. One of the options is a movie, but there are others as I described in my post above. Remember one keyboard shortcut and get all of the options, plus the ability to edit them directly. smirk
You're correct, Ira. What you missed was my post in which I told Rita to forget what I'd said about your command (because I'd realized that it wasn't exclusively for movies.)

In Catalina, though, I don't see any editing options...just pngs that appears on my desktop, so command-shift-3 & 4, which require only one action, are best if all you want is a screenshot.

artie505 #58882 06/12/21 10:28 PM
OP Offline

I just tried the PDF thing you mentioned and it gives one a choice to send in mail. That would have been perfect! Next time. smile

Originally Posted by Ira L
You're correct, Ira. What you missed was my post in which I told Rita to forget what I'd said about your command (because I'd realized that it wasn't exclusively for movies.)

In Catalina, though, I don't see any editing options...just pngs that appears on my desktop, so command-shift-3 & 4, which require only one action, are best if all you want is a screenshot.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #58883 06/12/21 10:38 PM

I just tried the PDF thing you mentioned and it gives one a choice to send in mail. That would have been perfect! Next time. smile

That doesn't necessarily work, Rita, because the PDF can turn out to be a whole bunch of pages, i.e. awfully unwieldy. This page, for instance, yields a 14 page PDF.

artie505 #58884 06/12/21 11:12 PM
OP Offline

Yes, but in my case, they wanted a picture of a receipt that I had online. I checked with the PDF way of doing it and it was only two pages. When I checked FTM here, there were a lot of pages, but if I saved them to PDF I found I could pick and choose which ones I wanted to put into the email. So, again, I thank you for a great solution to my problem for in the future.

That doesn't necessarily work, Rita, because the PDF can turn out to be a whole bunch of pages, i.e. awfully unwieldy. This page, for instance, yields a 14 page PDF.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard