FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Check your browser's tracking protection
#58664 05/12/21 08:46 AM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) has a tool called Cover Your Tracks that will analyze your browser and add-ons to see how well you are protected against online tracking techniques. It also checks to see if your system is uniquely configured (therefore identifiable) even if you are using privacy protection software. The report is quite comprehensive and includes informative links.

Not directly related to the above, but of interest to those of us who are DuckDuckGo users, the EFF has partnered with Duck to enhance secure browsing and protect user information on the Web.

Last edited by ryck; 05/12/21 08:49 AM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
Re: Check your browser's tracking protection
ryck #58665 05/12/21 09:22 AM

Thanks for the link.

It first said that my browser is "nearly unique," whatever that means relative to the real world, but several retests said "unique."

Multiple retests now say "nearly unique," so I guess that's it.

The details aren't at all consistent, though.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #58666 05/12/21 05:16 PM

In this case, being Unique is NOT a good thing as it means you are uniquely identifiable. As to the variance, the devil is in the details. To quote the report on my browser…
Originally Posted by Cover Your Tracks
Your browser fingerprint appears to be unique among the 255,805 tested in the past 45 days.
which would indicate uniqueness could change from minute to minute or even second to second depending on the other browsers tested.
Note: because tracking techniques are complex, subtle, and constantly evolving, Cover Your Tracks does not measure all forms of tracking and protection.
So there are likely other untested factors that could make you more unique. If you want to be less unique then download every different browser you can find and randomly rotate the one you use each time you go to a different web site and connect to the internet through a VPN and change the VPN connection every few minutes. You may still have some unique characteristic but it would be harder to pinpoint.

Frankly I am more interested in...
Our tests indicate that you have strong protection against Web tracking, though your software isn’t checking for Do Not Track policies.

FOOTNOTE: I just tested the most secure browser and connection I know, TOR using onion routing and it reported…
Originally Posted by TOR Report
Our tests indicate that you have strong protection against Web tracking.
Blocking tracking ads? Yes
Blocking invisible trackers? Yes
Protecting you from fingerprinting? Your browser has a non-unique fingerprint
{Emphasis Mine}

Within our dataset of several hundred thousand visitors tested in the past 45 days, only one in 3657.77 browsers have the same fingerprint as yours.
…and that was at TOR's Safer setting and not its Safest. (The safest setting only works for static sites with basic services.)

Last edited by joemikeb; 05/12/21 05:25 PM. Reason: added detail

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #58667 05/12/21 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by joemikeb
In this case, being Unique is NOT a good thing as it means you are uniquely identifiable. As to the variance, the devil is in the details. To quote the report on my browser…
Your browser fingerprint appears to be unique among the 255,805 tested in the past 45 days.
which would indicate uniqueness could change from minute to minute or even second to second depending on the other browsers tested.
I tested and retested multiple times in quick succession, and my degree of uniqueness changed each time, sometimes by degrees that seem unusual. I wonder how many people are using this tool at any given time?

I still don't understand the significance of uniqueness. I've never seen any targeted ads, and the whole concept seems more oriented towards targeting specific individuals.

Frankly I am more interested in...
Our tests indicate that you have strong protection against Web tracking, though your software isn’t checking for Do Not Track policies.
I see the same thing, and it seems to be self-contradictory.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #58671 05/12/21 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by artie505
I still don't understand the significance of uniqueness. I've never seen any targeted ads, and the whole concept seems more oriented towards targeting specific individuals.
The point of Cover Your Tracks is to let you know how vulnerable you are to tracking and data mining. The more unique your online identity the easier it is to track where you go and what you do on the internet.

Trackers are seldom interested in the result of a single transaction rather the result of putting together many tiny, seemingly insignificant, data points to form a coherent, and frighteningly accurate, picture of you. In order to do that there must be a common factor used to identify which bits belong to which individual person. If your identity is the same as 3000 others and say 100 data points are needed for an accurate match then there 90,000,000,000+ possible combinations out of which only one is an accurate representation of you. If your identity is unique then any set of data linked to that identity contributes to an accurate representation of you. If I am a data miner I want that unique identifier. If I am trying to avoid data mining I want that identifier to be as non-unique as possible.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #58675 05/13/21 01:35 AM

The point of Cover Your Tracks is to let you know how vulnerable you are to tracking and data mining. The more unique your online identity the easier it is to track where you go and what you do on the internet.

.... If I am a data miner I want that unique identifier. If I am trying to avoid data mining I want that identifier to be as non-unique as possible.
I understand all of that.

But as I've said before (when we discussed my password scheme), data mining is only an issue if you've been targeted.

The Internet can generate an awful lot of needless paranoia!

artie505 #58678 05/14/21 01:42 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

The Internet can generate an awful lot of needless paranoia!
I'd like to argue the point but I can't stay and talk right now. I gotta keep moving. I'm being followed. laugh

Last edited by ryck; 05/14/21 01:43 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
2 members like this: David, joemikeb

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard