FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
iphone nuisance back, wierd screen comes up
#58455 03/28/21 11:41 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

I had this super nuisance a year ago and so how got rid of it but its back, but can't remember what to do.

Normally, when I call comes in I pick up the phone, but now annoying choice screen, thanks.

speaker, macbook air... I do have a brand new macbook air, is that triggering this, if so how shut off thanks.

https://imgur.com/6NGrrwn

Re: iphone nuisance back, wierd screen comes up
kevs #58456 03/29/21 12:24 AM

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #58457 03/29/21 01:09 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Joe,

Looking at the informative article.

iphone allow calls from other devices is already off. And on the new Macbook Air, Facetime, calls from iphone is also unchecked.

kevs #58458 03/29/21 01:51 PM

FYI, I found that by asking Siri, "hey Siri, how do I stop the phone from ringing on my Mac?" Siri is good at answering those kinds of questions.

— Albert Einstein
kevs #58461 03/29/21 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by kevs
Thanks Joe,

Looking at the informative article.

iphone allow calls from other devices is already off. And on the new Macbook Air, Facetime, calls from iphone is also unchecked.

Do you have an external Bluetooth speaker? Some of them allow two-way communication when a phone call comes in.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #58462 03/29/21 06:17 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks guys, Joe, don't use Siri, can't stand it, so I turn it off.

Ira, yes, but Bluetooth is in car right now only not at home.

bTW, this was a super nuisance and Joe others posted about it. Bluetooth was culprit back then. Still not sure after pages of reviewing notes from JOe and senior Apple tech, how I got rid of that annoying dropdown screen that comes up when Bluetooth was the culprit..

Now, seems culprit would be new macbook air, and it's on that list no? Has to be culprit. look at screenshot. just iphone and macbook air, and macbook is brand new.

That said, this morning the issue has gone away. But sure come back.

kevs #58463 03/29/21 07:16 PM

Thanks guys, Joe, don't use Siri, can't stand it, so I turn it off.
Personally I find Siri invaluable (on the Apple watch absolutely essential) but it can be very annoying when it picks up words from background noise. Since Siri can be a very useful tool, especially when you have questions like this, may I suggest that on your iPhone in Settings > Siri & Search turning "Listen for 'Hey Siri'" off and "Press Side Button for Siri" on? That way you can still have access to Siri, but only when you specifically need it.

As to the menu on your phone: in Settings Bluetooth...:
  1. either turn bluetooth off or
  2. under My devices go to MacBook Air touch the info icon ⌽ and then forget this device then repeat that with Speaker.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #58464 03/29/21 07:56 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Joe:

Hey Siri is off, don't see press sidebar, but do see press Home. I think either would drive me nuts and I press side bar and home all time for other things. Control center would be perfect, can get Siri on in control center?

Bluetooth I could do maybe, I only use it in car I think rarely.

ON macbook Air, I don't touch anything ever. Clamshell is always closed and use with keyboard and display all time. Do I need to open it up to get to info ? Never gone to info before. Did not even know it's touch sensitive, Think my last Air was not.

kevs #58465 03/29/21 11:27 PM

Hey Siri is off, don't see press sidebar, but do see press Home. I think either would drive me nuts and I press side bar and home all time for other things. Control center would be perfect, can get Siri on in control center?
Sidebar/home same thing just different iPhone and/or iOS versions. When you have Listen for "hey Siri…" off and "Press Sidebar for Siri" on you have to type the Siri query rather than speaking it and the phone knows the difference between clicking the sidebar and pressing it. It might not work for you, but I thought I should suggest the possibility.

— Albert Einstein
kevs #58466 03/30/21 12:06 AM

New versions of iOS don't have the options mentioned in the second post. It seems that if iOS has some useful feature, it's guaranteed that Apple will remove it. frown

A few days ago I was in the middle of a phone call when the audio went dead. I thought I'd been disconnected, but then I could hear the caller talking in another room. The phone had automatically switched, mid-conversation, to a set of bluetooth speakers in the other room. So, it seems now that the only way to make sure this doesn't happen again, is to have the iPhone forget the bluetooth device whenever I'm finished using the device. What a stupid thing to have to do!

MacBook Pro 15" (2015)
Sierra 10.12.6
joemikeb #58467 03/30/21 03:02 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

asking Siri, "hey Siri, how do I stop the phone from ringing on my Mac"

btrw Joe, phone is not ringing on imac.... you saw screenshot in my first text? If that window that comes up right on the iphone screen. Not even sure how I would describe that to Siri.

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard