FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
DuckDuckGo search results in tiny font
#58420 03/23/21 05:13 PM
ryck Online OP
OP Online

Today my Safari DuckDuckGo search results are being returned in a tiny font. I have run test searches in Google, Yahoo and Bing and they all yield normal results. How do I tweak DuckDuckGo (or Safari) to get fonts in a readable size?

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
Re: DuckDuckGo search results in tiny font
ryck #58421 03/23/21 06:03 PM

I haven't a clue, but the first thing that I would try is to quit and relaunch Safari, and if that doesn't work, restart.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
ryck #58422 03/23/21 06:45 PM

Try Preferences/Advanced/Accessibility/check the box, insert a size.

Any good?

iMac (19,1, 3.1 GHz i5, 12.7.4, 40 Gb RAM); MacBook Air (1.8 Ghz, 8 Gb RAM, 10.14.6, 256 Gb SSD) Vodafone router and Devolo Wi-Fi Extender, Canon TS8351 printer/scanner.
freelance #58425 03/23/21 08:41 PM

The problem is the zoom settings specific to the DuckDuckGo site. The zoom level may be set between 50 and 300%. I would venture it is currently closer to 50%. You can access the Site Settings menu by:

While viewing the DuckDuckGo results page either...
  • click on the "Site Preferences" icon (a gear wheel] or
  • on the menu bar select Safari > Settings for this website…

…then click on the number immediately to the right of Page Zoom and select a comfortable zoom level for the specific site. That will not change the zoom level for any other website.

You can change the default zoom level for all web sites by going to Safari > Preferences > Websites and clicking on the Page Zoom icon

If you have problems with a particular web site, such as DuckDuckGO, in Safari > Preferences > Privacy you can find the problematic site and Remove it from the list which will automatically set it to the default values specified in Safari > Preferences > Websites.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #58427 03/24/21 04:17 AM

One more option, use cmd-0 (command-zero) to restore 100% with a quick keystroke. I use it often after zooming in to see something.

joemikeb #58428 03/24/21 01:46 PM
ryck Online OP
OP Online

Originally Posted by joemikeb
The problem is the zoom settings specific to the DuckDuckGo site. The zoom level may be set between 50 and 300%. I would venture it is currently closer to 50%. You can access the Site Settings menu by.......

You can change the default zoom level for all web sites by going to Safari > Preferences > Websites and clicking on the Page Zoom icon
I tried all the suggestions....this one was the cure. Thanks folks.

It was interesting that, at the Page Zoom window in preferences, a large number of sites had various zoom settings....which I don't recall doing. (Caveat: in my case, non-recollection doesn't necessarily mean I didn't do it) So, I set everything to 100%

Thanks again, all.

Last edited by ryck; 03/24/21 01:47 PM.

ryck

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #58429 03/24/21 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by ryck
It was interesting that, at the Page Zoom window in preferences, a large number of sites had various zoom settings....which I don't recall doing. (Caveat: in my case, non-recollection doesn't necessarily mean I didn't do it) So, I set everything to 100%.
JUST TO BE SURE NO ONE MISUNDERSTANDS:

Setting the default zoom level at 100%, or whatever level you choose, does not change any site specific settings, unless you go to Safari > Preferences > Privacy > Manage Website data… and either remove the settings for a specific site(s) so it reverts to the default, or you click "Remove All", which sets every website to the default values. (Given I have hundreds of sites with carefully curated settings, that option makes me more than a little nervous 😱)

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #58432 03/24/21 04:30 PM
ryck Online OP
OP Online

Originally Posted by joemikeb
Originally Posted by ryck
It was interesting that, at the Page Zoom window in preferences, a large number of sites had various zoom settings....which I don't recall doing. (Caveat: in my case, non-recollection doesn't necessarily mean I didn't do it) So, I set everything to 100%.
Setting the default zoom level at 100%, or whatever level you choose, does not change any site specific settings, unless you go to Safari > Preferences > Privacy > Manage Website data… and either remove the settings for a specific site(s) so it reverts to the default, or you click "Remove All", which sets every website to the default values.
So, now I am sure that I did not intentionally reset the sites I saw in the Zoom window this morning because I definitely have never gone through the process you describe. I went back to the Zoom window after my last posting and note that all the sites I set to 100% are no longer listed, so I assume the software has decided I prefer the default value.

Anyway.....good to learn something new.

Last edited by ryck; 03/24/21 04:32 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #58433 03/24/21 06:11 PM

I don't want to beat this to death, but in the interest of complete clarity and accuracy for anyone reading this thread:
  • A site appears in Safari > Preferences > Privacy > Manage Website data IF, AND ONLY IF one, or more, of the following parameters differs from the default values specified in Safari > Preferences > Websites.

Those parameters are:
  • Automatically use Reader mode on the website
  • Allow Content Blockers (Safari extensions using the content blocker API) on the website
  • Auto-Play media
  • Page Zoom level
  • Camera Access
  • Microphone Access
  • Access to Screen Sharing
  • Access to Location Data
  • Allow Downloads from the site
  • Allow the site to send Notifications
  • Allow the site to use Pop-up windows

— Albert Einstein

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard