FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Boxing
#58312 03/14/21 02:14 PM
OP Offline

Marvelous Marvin Hagler. Only 66. The man was robbed twice.

cyn note: Originally posted in Ad astra: another passing.

Last edited by cyn; 03/16/21 12:59 AM. Reason: Move branch of posts to separate thread.

iMac (19,1, 3.1 GHz i5, 12.7.4, 40 Gb RAM); MacBook Air (1.8 Ghz, 8 Gb RAM, 10.14.6, 256 Gb SSD) Vodafone router and Devolo Wi-Fi Extender, Canon TS8351 printer/scanner.
Re: Boxing
freelance #58314 03/14/21 04:35 PM

I don't follow boxing enough to know about the second time, but the Leonard decision was a TRAVESTY!

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #58316 03/14/21 04:46 PM
OP Offline

The second time was yesterday...

I lived in Boston when Hagler was in his prime and I was a fan. Went to three of his fights. He wasn't a pretty fighter, which was his disadvantage against Leonard, who spent the fight keeping out of reach.

There is a clip on YouTube of the first round of the Thomas Hearns v Marvin Hagler fight, which only lasted three rounds. Awesome.

iMac (19,1, 3.1 GHz i5, 12.7.4, 40 Gb RAM); MacBook Air (1.8 Ghz, 8 Gb RAM, 10.14.6, 256 Gb SSD) Vodafone router and Devolo Wi-Fi Extender, Canon TS8351 printer/scanner.
freelance #58318 03/14/21 05:58 PM

Ouch! ...slow on the uptake. Yeah, he was a young man.

I've always felt that the Leonard fight fell into "you don't decision a champ unless he got the bejeezus kicked out of him" territory, and that Leonard, as part of his fight strategy, because he guessed that it might be that close, actively conned the scorers into thinking that he, not Hagler, was the champ with his Ali impression, right down to dropping his hands.

And indeed, next to Leonard, it really was hard to remember that Hagler was the champ; he was an awfully non-flashy champ, particularly by comparison to Leonard.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
freelance #58319 03/14/21 06:16 PM

Boxing is barbaric and has no place in a civilized world, IMHO. Someday, hopefully, the "sport" - seriously (?) - will become history, and future generations will look back and wonder: What were they thinking? (At one time, we used to burn "witches" at the stake! Just saying.)

MG2009 #58325 03/14/21 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by MG2009
Boxing is barbaric and has no place in a civilized world, IMHO. Someday, hopefully, the "sport" - seriously (?) - will become history, and future generations will look back and wonder: What were they thinking? (At one time, we used to burn "witches" at the stake! Just saying.)

Boxing (or some form of) has been going on for ages, and it is world wide. Doubt if it will ever go away.

MartyByrde #58326 03/14/21 08:26 PM

Witch burning did (at least in North America) . . . so there is reason to hope we will evolve and progress will be achieved.

MG2009 #58327 03/14/21 08:41 PM

Witch burning did (at least in North America) . . . so there is reason to hope we will evolve and progress will be achieved.

Witch burning typically led to deaths. Does not happen in boxing. And again, boxing is world wide, ie, not confined to one country/continent.

Last edited by MartyByrde; 03/14/21 08:42 PM.
MartyByrde #58328 03/14/21 08:51 PM

RE: Witch burning typically led to deaths. Does not happen in boxing.

Huh?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_deaths_due_to_injuries_sustained_in_boxing

Says it all, really. Multiple articles in a Google Search. I have nothing more to add to this thread.

smirk

MG2009 #58330 03/15/21 03:24 AM

RE: Witch burning typically led to deaths. Does not happen in boxing.

Huh?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_deaths_due_to_injuries_sustained_in_boxing

Says it all, really. Multiple articles in a Google Search. I have nothing more to add to this thread.

smirk

OK, I was mistaken! Surprised there were so, so many.

MartyByrde #58332 03/15/21 03:53 AM

grin

Tip of the iceberg, as it were.

P.S. American football is discovering much about head injuries, too . . . but I digress.

MG2009 #58338 03/15/21 05:56 PM

grin

P.S. American football is discovering much about head injuries, too . . . but I digress.

Re: football. Yes, I agree. Have you ever watched the excellent movie "Concussion"? Really an eye opener!

MartyByrde #58340 03/15/21 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by MartyByrde
grin

Re: football. Yes, I agree. Have you ever watched the excellent movie "Concussion"? Really an eye opener!

In case you haven't been following closely you can add European football (Soccer) ⚽️ to the list of sports causing brain injury. "Heading" is the culprit there. Of course there is the infamous "beanball" in Baseball. 🥎 I guess that leaves Cricket 🏏 as a safe sport, but I don't think anyone not born and raised in Great Britain has a prayer of understanding it. 🤔

Maybe "Coach" had it wrong and you have to get your head OUT of the game in order to survive.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #58344 03/15/21 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by joemikeb
Originally Posted by MartyByrde
grin

In case you haven't been following closely you can add European football (Soccer) ⚽️ to the list of sports causing brain injury. "Heading" is the culprit there. Of course there is the infamous "beanball" in Baseball. 🥎 I guess that leaves Cricket 🏏 as a safe sport, but I don't think anyone not born and raised in Great Britain has a prayer of understanding it. 🤔

Maybe "Coach" had it wrong and you have to get your head OUT of the game in order to survive.

Don't forget Ice Hockey, especially in the NHL.

joemikeb #58345 03/15/21 07:58 PM
OP Offline

Cricket is as safe as any "non-contact" sport, yet all batters must wear helmets now, largely because of balls being directed at their heads by bowlers (beanball equivalent, a body-line bouncer).

Boxing: no one ever wants to see a fighter die in the ring, least of all his opponent. But, it happens. No boxer has ever entered the ring against his or her will.

Boxing has been an Olympic sport since the 7th century BC. Um, with the odd interruption.

I can't imagine a boy who has not been given advice about how to defend himself against bullies at school. "Keep your hands up!" "Kick him in the balls and run like heck!" When it gets organized, it's boxing and called sport.

I've been in a boxing ring. I was 12. I won. I've lost every single fight I've ever been in since then. (Two, ending with bloody noses.) I like to see guys who can handle themselves get in the ring. I had to grow to love Muhammad Ali after he denied Cassius Clay. He was class all the way. Joe Calzaghi was more recent and undefeated, and a local boy. Marvin Hagler was a thug in the ring and a gentleman out of it, another local boy. Mike Tyson/Sonny Liston were just thugs. It's a sport with many personalities. They all chose to get in the ring. All the guys they beat chose to get in the ring.

You can choose to watch a boxing match or not.

Should we start another thread? smile

freelance #58346 03/15/21 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by freelance
Sounds like a good idea...and maybe the Moderator can move the discussion to date over to it.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #58348 03/15/21 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by ryck
Sounds like a good idea...and maybe the Moderator can move the discussion to date over to it.

Agree 100%.

joemikeb #58351 03/15/21 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by joemikeb
In case you haven't been following closely you can add European football (Soccer) ⚽️ to the list of sports causing brain injury. "Heading" is the culprit there. Of course there is the infamous "beanball" in Baseball. 🥎
You can add volleyball to the list.

I recently read about a college volleyballer who, after only two hits, has claimed that she suffers from an assortment of issues.

I never realized that a volleyball was that hard.

freelance #58352 03/15/21 11:53 PM

Boxing: no one ever wants to see a fighter die in the ring, least of all his opponent. But, it happens. No boxer has ever entered the ring against his or her will.

Boxing has been an Olympic sport since the 7th century BC.

I like to see guys who can handle themselves get in the ring. They all chose to get in the ring. All the guys they beat chose to get in the ring.

You can choose to watch a boxing match or not.
And since you haven't said it, I'll stick my neck out and say that there is indeed beauty in a really well-fought match...not that they come up all that often.

It's similar in a sense to wrestling, which I used to watch every Saturday night (in the early 80s) regardless of the fact that the matches were pretty much invariably awful, because every once in a rare while they'd show one that was such a stunning display of 250 pound guys doing incredible gymnastics that it was almost breathtaking.

artie505 #58353 03/16/21 01:00 AM

Re: " . . . beauty in a really well-fought match."

-------

Seriously? I cannot grasp the concept even as sport or entertainment, let alone a thing of beauty! Geez.

MG2009 #58355 03/16/21 02:09 AM

Re: " . . . beauty in a really well-fought match."

-------

Seriously? I cannot grasp the concept even as sport or entertainment, let alone a thing of beauty! Geez.

You are looking at the world through a very narrow window if you allow your aesthetic sensibilities to be constrained by your ethical/moral/? (not sure of the correct word) sensibilities.

artie505 #58361 03/16/21 04:26 AM

Sensibilities?

Living in the USA's closest neighbour to the North, I still am perplexed by the thirst for violence in the psyche of some folks. A family can sit around at mealtime eating their grilled cheese sandwiches and apple pie while watching people get beaten, pounded, kneed, pummelled, and kicked on TV news coverage. Yet, show two men kissing or - clutch my pearls - a bare breast exposed on the same broadcast, and there would be a public outcry of indecency on television. Go figure.

Disclaimer: This is just how it currently looks to me from this side of the border. This is neither a moral nor ethical position. Just my innate aversion to physical violence. This, naturally, extends to my view on boxing i.e. violence by choice. (I am well aware that you - and others - may not share this view. I don't expect to change your mind; I know I won't change mine. So let's just agree to disagree and leave it at that.)

Respectfully submitted . . .

MG2009 #58362 03/16/21 05:33 AM

Living in the USA's closest neighbour to the North, I still am perplexed by the thirst for violence in the psyche of some folks.
Thirst for violence? Hardly. My father, long since passed, was a brilliant man who graduated from high school with honours when he was 15. He was also the gentlest person anyone could hope to meet.... a quality of his about which my wife often commented. And, at 18 years old, he was welterweight boxing champion of western Canada. Boxing was nothing more or less than a sport in which he chose to participate and which required considerable training and skill.

ryck

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
MG2009 #58363 03/16/21 10:07 AM
OP Offline

1. What do Lennox Lewis, George Chuvalo, Adonis Stevenson, Trevor Berbick, Donovan Ruddock and Donny Lalonde have in common?

2. More boxers die in road accidents than die in the ring. Okay, I suppose you could say that about any occupation. Well, maybe not a demolitions expert.

The Anthony Joshua v Tyson Fury fight is about to become the richest purse in British boxing history. An Olympic boxing hero and a gypsy street fighter. £200,000,000.00. It's gladiatorial combat with rules. I can't afford to watch it, but I'll be curious to see who wins. My (mind bet) money's on Fury, because I don't think Joshua's jaw will hold up, but I would be thrilled to be wrong. Joshua is such a nice kid.

Now, I don't much care for cage fighting or kick boxing. Wrestling would be better if you didn't know who was going to win when they stepped in the ring. I did like The Wrestler with Mickey Rourke and Marisa Tomei.

Anyway, I would never try to convince anyone to like or understand boxing. You do or you don't. You grow up with it or you don't.

Also, I do not get upset by sex or nudity. In fact, I quite like both.

Having said that, I had to reach for the remote every time that ex-president came on the telly.

MG2009 #58364 03/16/21 01:45 PM

In my opinion, 71 fatalities from around the world, spread over 93 years, doesn't say much without the third number. How many fights were held during the same time-frame in all those countries?

To be clear, I hate the idea of any person dying as a result of participating in their chosen sport, whether it be boxing, football, soccer, whatever. However, various sports are learning from their experiences and continue to develop rules and equipment to make the sports safer. Even boxers now wear helmets. It is absurd to suggest that the answer to any accidental death is: "Oh, oh, people are getting killed while they _________, so, instead of making it safer, let's ban it." The list of non-sports activities, which would also then cease, is endless.

Last edited by ryck; 03/16/21 01:50 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard