FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
YouTube
#58257 03/11/21 05:03 AM
OP Offline

Today I cannot get on YouTube via Safari no matter what search engine I use. It works fine on Firefox. Any ideas? I disabled extensions but still can't load it up.

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Re: YouTube
plantsower #58260 03/11/21 11:28 AM

You shouldn't need to use a search engine. What happens if you just type www.youtube.com into Safari's search field. Or click on THIS

iMac (19,1, 3.1 GHz i5, 12.7.4, 40 Gb RAM); MacBook Air (1.8 Ghz, 8 Gb RAM, 10.14.6, 256 Gb SSD) Vodafone router and Devolo Wi-Fi Extender, Canon TS8351 printer/scanner.
plantsower #58261 03/11/21 12:20 PM

Two thoughts:

1. Delete YouTube cookie(s)
2. Empty the Safari cache.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #58262 03/11/21 05:02 PM

I'm with Freelance on this. I seldom ever use an external search engine to get into YouTube, I just go directly to YouTube.com and use their site search engine.

Recently, search engine failures, have become more common and very often in the case of sponsored links, (where the search engine has been paid for premium placement of the link) because of
"…too many redirects…"
. Without going into technical details of what this means, suffice it to say, while this is a legitimate practice, Safari objects to it because it is a technique frequently used by scammers to harvest information such as userIDs, passwords, credit card numbers, etc. As far as I know there is no way to stop Safari from blocking links with too many redirects. My work arounds, in order of use, are:
  1. Use DuckDuckGo as my search engine as their links tend to be cleaner
  2. Examine the search engine entry and manually enter the link to the actual site or page and leaving out all the redirects. (not easy with You Tube links that can be pretty baroque.
  3. Go directly to the site and use the site's search engine

There is currently an advertisement on television claiming a new exploit is released every eleven seconds. At that rate it shouldn't be surprising when usability is compromised in the name of security. 🤯

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
freelance #58264 03/11/21 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by freelance
You shouldn't need to use a search engine. What happens if you just type www.youtube.com into Safari's search field. Or click on THIS

Yes, that works. And then make a bookmark from that link, so the next time it is easy to get to. That is what I did a long time ago.

freelance #58266 03/11/21 06:29 PM
OP Offline

Hi: I clicked on your link and it just stalled out like usual.

Originally Posted by freelance

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

jchuzi #58267 03/11/21 06:33 PM
OP Offline

Thanks. Just did that and it made no difference.

Originally Posted by jchuzi
Two thoughts:

1. Delete YouTube cookie(s)
2. Empty the Safari cache.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

joemikeb #58268 03/11/21 06:39 PM
OP Offline

OK. Maybe I am misunderstanding how things work. I thought by typing into my Safari browser it automatically used my search engine of choice such as DuckDuckGo or otherwise. Youtube still stalls out. Help me understand if that's not the case. Everything else loads up. Am I not using a search engine when I type into the Safari window? Isn't google a search engine? Duckduckgo is a search engine, right? Boy have I been misunderstanding all this time. And again, it all works fine in Firefox. I am so confused! confused

Originally Posted by joemikeb
I'm with Freelance on this. I seldom ever use an external search engine to get into YouTube, I just go directly to YouTube.com and use their site search engine.

Recently, search engine failures, have become more common and very often in the case of sponsored links, (where the search engine has been paid for premium placement of the link) because of
"…too many redirects…"
. Without going into technical details of what this means, suffice it to say, while this is a legitimate practice, Safari objects to it because it is a technique frequently used by scammers to harvest information such as userIDs, passwords, credit card numbers, etc. As far as I know there is no way to stop Safari from blocking links with too many redirects. My work arounds, in order of use, are:
  1. Use DuckDuckGo as my search engine as their links tend to be cleaner
  2. Examine the search engine entry and manually enter the link to the actual site or page and leaving out all the redirects. (not easy with You Tube links that can be pretty baroque.
  3. Go directly to the site and use the site's search engine

There is currently an advertisement on television claiming a new exploit is released every eleven seconds. At that rate it shouldn't be surprising when usability is compromised in the name of security. 🤯

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #58269 03/11/21 07:17 PM

DuckDuckGo and Google are both search engines. So is Bing, if you want to try it. You can see Safari's available search engines in Safari > Preferences > Search. New to Safari, as I understand it, is Ecosia. I have not tried it, however.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #58270 03/11/21 08:17 PM
OP Offline

Hi Jon: Yes, I know all about that, but I am missing something in the process. I was told to just type Youtube into the Safari search window. That's what I always do, but it just stalls now. Started two days ago. I haven't added any new apps to my Mac. Lately I have been using Ecosia and before that Duckduckgo, but it also stalls unless I am using Firefox. Something is blocking YouTube in Safari and I can't find it. Disabling my extensions did not good either. Getting rid of YouTube cookies and removing cache did nothing. I even ran Malwarebytes but it showed nothing wrong. I am stumped.

DuckDuckGo and Google are both search engines. So is Bing, if you want to try it. You can see Safari's available search engines in Safari > Preferences > Search. New to Safari, as I understand it, is Ecosia. I have not tried it, however.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #58272 03/11/21 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by plantsower
Hi Jon: Yes, I know all about that, but I am missing something in the process. I was told to just type Youtube into the Safari search window. That's what I always do, but it just stalls now. Started two days ago. I haven't added any new apps to my Mac. Lately I have been using Ecosia and before that Duckduckgo, but it also stalls unless I am using Firefox. Something is blocking YouTube in Safari and I can't find it. Disabling my extensions did not good either. Getting rid of YouTube cookies and removing cache did nothing. I even ran Malwarebytes but it showed nothing wrong. I am stumped.

Usually, that is all you need to do. I just did it for the 4 browsers that I have: Brave, FireFox, Google Chrome, and Opera. For Brave and FireFox, it takes me directly to YouTube. But for Chrome and Opera, it took me to a "links" page, and the first one was a link for YouTube. Clicking on it then led me to the same spot as with Brave and FireFox.

And I just did it with Safari (launched it from my Applications folder (V13.0.3)), and it worked. It took me to YouTube right away. (I did all this while running OS 10.15.7).

MartyByrde #58273 03/11/21 08:51 PM
OP Offline

OK, so I am embarrassed. I quit Safari and tried again and it worked! I should have thought of that before I bugged you guys! So sorry! I usually try quitting, rebooting, etc. before I come here, but this time I neglected to do the simple thing. 🙈🙈 Thanks, Marty.

And I just did it with Safari (launched it from my Applications folder (V13.0.3)), and it worked. It took me to YouTube right away. (I did all this while running OS 10.15.7). [/quote]

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #58275 03/11/21 09:34 PM

OK. Maybe I am misunderstanding how things work. I thought by typing into my Safari browser it automatically used my search engine of choice such as DuckDuckGo or otherwise. Youtube still stalls out. Help me understand if that's not the case. Everything else loads up. Am I not using a search engine when I type into the Safari window? Isn't google a search engine? Duckduckgo is a search engine, right? Boy have I been misunderstanding all this time. And again, it all works fine in Firefox. I am so confused! confused
If you enter a full formed url such as
Code
https://www.youtube.com
or even YouTube.com (where the https://www part is understood) 
you will go directly to YouTube. On the other hand if enter an unformed URL such as
Code
YouTube
or Joe's you tube video
or woodturning
or "how do I view a you tube video"
the request is passed along to to your default search engine to be searched for. Others have already mentioned setting your default search engine. (I haven't tried Ecosia either. In fact this is the first I have heard of it so I will have to look at it.)

Last edited by joemikeb; 03/11/21 09:37 PM. Reason: format error

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #58278 03/11/21 10:03 PM
OP Offline

I did type in youtube.com. It stalled. But like I said, after quitting Safari and restarting it (something I should have done first), it's all good. Ecosia is mentioned in the choices for search engines in Safari Prefs.

Code
you will go directly to YouTube. On the other hand if enter an unformed URL such as
Code
YouTube
or Joe's you tube video
or woodturning
the request is passed along to to your default search engine to be searched for. Others have already mentioned setting your default search engine. (I haven't tried Ecosia either. In fact this is the first I have heard of it so I will have to look at it.)

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #58280 03/11/21 10:14 PM

OK, so I am embarrassed. I quit Safari and tried again and it worked! I should have thought of that before I bugged you guys! So sorry! I usually try quitting, rebooting, etc. before I come here, but this time I neglected to do the simple thing. 🙈🙈 Thanks, Marty.

And I just did it with Safari (launched it from my Applications folder (V13.0.3)), and it worked. It took me to YouTube right away. (I did all this while running OS 10.15.7).

You're welcome. Not sure, though, why you needed to quit Safari, then launch it again to get it to work.

Last edited by MartyByrde; 03/11/21 10:15 PM.
plantsower #58281 03/11/21 10:15 PM

I did type in youtube.com. It stalled.
Don't feel bad, it is the easy fixes that are so often forgotten. The other night I was cussin' and fussin' over a problem when my wife stuck her head and and innocently said, "You always tell me to reboot." blush

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #58282 03/11/21 10:16 PM
OP Offline

LOL!!! We're helpful that way.

Don't feel bad, it is the easy fixes that are so often forgotten. The other night I was cussin' and fussin' over a problem when my wife stuck her head and and innocently said, "You always tell me to reboot." blush

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

MartyByrde #58283 03/11/21 10:17 PM
OP Offline

Me neither but it worked. Maybe a little corruption.

You're welcome. Not sure, though, why you needed to quit Safari, then launch it again to get it to work. [/quote]

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

joemikeb #58284 03/11/21 10:19 PM

Code
Code
YouTube
or Joe's you tube video
or woodturning

Don't think that is 100% accurate. As I mentioned above, and just did it again, when I enter "YouTube" in either Brave or Firefox, it takes me directly to YouTube. But when I enter that in Google Chrome or Opera, it takes me here:

https://www.google.com/search?q=You...268j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

joemikeb #58285 03/11/21 10:21 PM

Man, is that ever so, so accurate! And it happens in everyday life also.

plantsower #58286 03/11/21 10:22 PM

LOL!!! We're helpful that way.

As they always say, "Listen to the woman"!

MartyByrde #58288 03/12/21 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by MartyByrde
Don't think that is 100% accurate. As I mentioned above, and just did it again, when I enter "YouTube" in either Brave or Firefox, it takes me directly to YouTube. But when I enter that in Google Chrome or Opera, it takes me here:

It is reasonably accurate in Safari, but as you noted different browsers respond differently. In the link you cite, it shouldn't be surprising that a Google product, the Chrome browser, would preferentially route as many enquiries as possible through the Google search engine. That way Google, and Chrome, get credit for the "hit" and therefore the benificiary of more advertising $ € ¥ £ ﷼ ₯ ₤…

You would think I had learned that lesson after nearly 62 years of marriage. 🤦🏻‍♂️

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #58290 03/12/21 05:33 PM
OP Offline

Wow, congrats!

You would think I had learned that lesson after nearly 62 years of marriage. 🤦🏻‍♂️ [/quote]

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

joemikeb #58291 03/12/21 06:17 PM

It is reasonably accurate in Safari, but as you noted different browsers respond differently. In the link you cite, it shouldn't be surprising that a Google product, the Chrome browser, would preferentially route as many enquiries as possible through the Google search engine. That way Google, and Chrome, get credit for the "hit" and therefore the benificiary of more advertising $ € ¥ £ ﷼ ₯ ₤…

Not reasonably accurate. I just did it twice with Safari, ie, entered YouTube in the search bar, and also youtube,com, and in both instances, it took me directly to Youtube. (Since I don't regularly use Safari (in fact, rarely, if ever), I did not change its default search engine). But yes, with Chrome and Opera, makes sense what you said.

You would think I had learned that lesson after nearly 62 years of marriage. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Man, and I thought our upcoming 49th anniversary was a lot! I learned a long, long time ago to "Listen to the woman". That of course goes along with the other credo: "Keep the woman happy". That's another one I have always adhered to, even today.

Last edited by MartyByrde; 03/12/21 06:20 PM.
MartyByrde #58292 03/12/21 06:25 PM
OP Offline

Smart man!

Man, and I thought our upcoming 49th anniversary was a lot! I learned a long, long time ago to "Listen to the woman". That of course goes along with the other credo: "Keep the woman happy". That's another one I have always adhered to, even today. [/quote]

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard