for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Don't Forget to "Spring Forward"!
#58221 03/07/21 07:51 PM
OP Offline

A public service announcement: next Sunday, March 14th, most of us in the US will need to move to Daylight Savings Time (DST), ie, spring forward. I suspect there are also many other countries that need to do the same, but there are also some that do it on a different day. For example, it looks like for most places in Europe, it is Sunday, March 28th:

https://www.timeanddate.com/news/time/europe-starts-dst-2021.html#:~:text=Most%20European%20countries%20set%20the,Europe%20on%20March%2028%2C%202021.&text=Most%20countries%20in%20Europe%20will,UTC%20on%20March%2028%2C%202021.

Of course in the US, at least 2 states do not make the switch: Hawaii and Arizona (except for the Navajo Nation in Northeastern Arizona).

I actually can't wait, as the extra hour of sunlight gives me a "rush". Just wish they would have DST all year round.

Last edited by MartyByrde; 03/07/21 07:52 PM.
Re: Don't Forget to "Spring Forward"!
MartyByrde #58226 03/08/21 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by MartyByrde
I actually can't wait, as the extra hour of sunlight gives me a "rush". Just wish they would have DST all year round.
I don't care if it is DST or Standard time, just leave it alone. As far as I am concerned the entire country could go on GMT if it would just stay there.

"All you've got to do is own up to your ignorance
honestly, and you'll find people who are eager to
fill your head with information"
--Walt Disney
MartyByrde #58227 03/08/21 12:09 AM

Sierra

Marty,

When I was a boy in England during the war, we had DDST, i.e. 2 extra hours of daylight. We could play in the parks until about eleven pm.

jaybass

OS 13.6.6 iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2017, 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 24 GB RAM, 2400 MHz DDR4. SuperDuper. 1 TB Lacie HD
jaybass #58230 03/08/21 12:51 AM
OP Offline

Originally Posted by jaybass
Sierra

Marty,

When I was a boy in England during the war, we had DDST, i.e. 2 extra hours of daylight. We could play in the parks until about eleven pm.

jaybass

Sounds real cool! When I was a boy, I distinctly remember playing outside in February, and noticing that it was staying lighter longer. In actuality, our oldest son is living in London. To me, though, it's a bummer they are not moving to DST until 2 weeks later than us.

Also, since you are in Toronto, you are even further north than I am. I definitely notice the real long days in and around the summer solstice. Sun does not set until 9:12 PM Pacific Daylight Time, and as long as it's clear, it stays light until after 10 PM. It is probably later for you. Sure gets me pumped up!

However, when I used to make some business trips down to LA in December, I certainly noticed it stayed lighter longer than in Seattle. Of course the reason for that is that LA is closer to the equator that Seattle is.

Last edited by MartyByrde; 03/08/21 01:01 AM.
joemikeb #58231 03/08/21 12:59 AM
OP Offline

Originally Posted by joemikeb
Originally Posted by MartyByrde
I don't care if it is DST or Standard time, just leave it alone. As far as I am concerned the entire country could go on GMT if it would just stay there.

I agree make it only one. But it needs to be DST, plain and simple. As it is, before COVID arrived, most states had already passed legislation to move to DST all year round. But the eventual decision needs to be made by Congress. I guess they got too "busy" to take up the legislation. (Suspect, though, that Hawaii and Arizona will stay as they are, ie, no DST).

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard