An open community 
of Macintosh users,
for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
New warning message
#58081 02/26/21 02:04 AM
Joined: Sep 2009
Likes: 1
OP Online

Joined: Sep 2009
Likes: 1
Today I started getting the message: Attention required: Browser extensison is not trusted. It's an extension for a survey company I have been using. I've had the extension for quite some time. I don't t think it's been updated too recently. I also haven't updated Catalina for awhile. I know that some extensions have access to some of our info including passwords. I am not happy about that, but I still don't know why I am all of a sudden getting this message on a banner and it's every few minutes.


MacBook Pro - Catalina 10.15.7
Safari 14.0.3
Music 1.0.6.10
iPhone 7 Version 14.1




Re: New warning message
plantsower #58082 02/26/21 02:20 AM
Joined: Aug 2009
Likes: 2
Offline

Joined: Aug 2009
Likes: 2
Hi, Rita,

What's the source of the message...Safari or the extension's provider.

Maybe post a screenshot?

Any similar pop-up I've ever seen offers an "OK" option and doesn't bother you again if you click on it.

Re: New warning message
artie505 #58083 02/26/21 03:04 AM
Offline

Joined: Oct 2020
Since you show that you are using V10.15.7 of Catalina, that is the latest version.

Also, it looks like there is a later version of Safari, V14.0.3 (released on February 1st). Maybe upgrade to it and see if the message goes away.

Have you done any installations at all recently?

And if the extension can be used with another browser, can you try that?

Re: New warning message
MartyByrde #58085 02/26/21 04:56 AM
Joined: Sep 2009
Likes: 1
OP Online

Joined: Sep 2009
Likes: 1
Also, it looks like there is a later version of Safari, V14.0.3 (released on February 1st). Maybe upgrade to it and see if the message goes away.

I couldn't find a later version of Safari when I looked so perhaps the later Version goes with Big Sur which I don't have.


Have you done any installations at all recently? Nope.

And if the extension can be used with another browser, can you try that? [/quote] I may try that at a later date if I need to, thanks.


MacBook Pro - Catalina 10.15.7
Safari 14.0.3
Music 1.0.6.10
iPhone 7 Version 14.1




Re: New warning message
artie505 #58086 02/26/21 04:59 AM
Joined: Sep 2009
Likes: 1
OP Online

Joined: Sep 2009
Likes: 1
Originally Posted by artie505
Hi, Rita,

What's the source of the message...Safari or the extension's provider. I'm guessing Safari. Would the extension provider say such a thing about their extension?

Maybe post a screenshot? I will try, but it shows up for about 3 seconds and then disappears.

Any similar pop-up I've ever seen offers an "OK" option and doesn't bother you again if you click on it.
There is no OK option, and it shows up about every five minutes. It's driving me nuts.


MacBook Pro - Catalina 10.15.7
Safari 14.0.3
Music 1.0.6.10
iPhone 7 Version 14.1




Re: New warning message
artie505 #58087 02/26/21 05:05 AM
Joined: Sep 2009
Likes: 1
OP Online

Joined: Sep 2009
Likes: 1
Here's the screen shot: Warning Banner




Originally Posted by artie505
Hi, Rita,

What's the source of the message...Safari or the extension's provider.

Maybe post a screenshot?

Any similar pop-up I've ever seen offers an "OK" option and doesn't bother you again if you click on it.


MacBook Pro - Catalina 10.15.7
Safari 14.0.3
Music 1.0.6.10
iPhone 7 Version 14.1




Re: New warning message
artie505 #58088 02/26/21 05:14 AM
Joined: Sep 2009
Likes: 1
OP Online

Joined: Sep 2009
Likes: 1
I clicked on the extension and it said there was a problem with my extension in Firefox. I don't even use it in Firefox so I turned it off. I got the message again. I clicked on the extension again and there was a "fix" button. I clicked it and I guess it got fixed in Firefox. I haven't had the warning message since. I just think it's off that the extension originator said it was unsafe. I don't get it. I really thought safari was warning me. Oh well, thanks for your consideration.

Originally Posted by artie505
Hi, Rita,

What's the source of the message...Safari or the extension's provider.

Maybe post a screenshot?

Any similar pop-up I've ever seen offers an "OK" option and doesn't bother you again if you click on it.


MacBook Pro - Catalina 10.15.7
Safari 14.0.3
Music 1.0.6.10
iPhone 7 Version 14.1




Re: New warning message
MartyByrde #58089 02/26/21 05:15 AM
Joined: Sep 2009
Likes: 1
OP Online

Joined: Sep 2009
Likes: 1
I told Artie how I "fixed it" if you want to read it. Thanks of your help.


Originally Posted by MartyByrde
Since you show that you are using V10.15.7 of Catalina, that is the latest version.

Also, it looks like there is a later version of Safari, V14.0.3 (released on February 1st). Maybe upgrade to it and see if the message goes away.

Have you done any installations at all recently?

And if the extension can be used with another browser, can you try that?


MacBook Pro - Catalina 10.15.7
Safari 14.0.3
Music 1.0.6.10
iPhone 7 Version 14.1




Re: New warning message
plantsower #58090 02/26/21 05:24 AM
Joined: Aug 2009
Likes: 2
Offline

Joined: Aug 2009
Likes: 2
According to Safari version history - Wikipedia, Safari 14.0.3 is available Mojave, Catalina, and Big Sur. Software Update should offer it to you, and I can't figure out how to d/l it otherwise.

Are you certain that you're running the latest version of your extension?

Re: New warning message
plantsower #58091 02/26/21 05:33 AM
Joined: Aug 2009
Likes: 2
Offline

Joined: Aug 2009
Likes: 2
Originally Posted by plantsower
Here's the screen shot: Warning Banner
As I suspected, the pop-up is coming from your extension's developer, so it may mean that you're not up to date...either Safari, the extension, or both.

I've got no idea what Firefox may have done to "fix" the problem, but I can reasonably guess that it installed the correct or, as the case may be, appropriate version.

Re: New warning message
artie505 #58092 02/26/21 05:35 AM
Joined: Sep 2009
Likes: 1
OP Online

Joined: Sep 2009
Likes: 1
I looked at my software updates and they only offered Big Sur. I looked at updates on the App Store and it said there are no updates and that all my apps are up to date. I plugged in Safari in the App Store and no updates showed.


Originally Posted by artie505
According to Safari version history - Wikipedia, Safari 14.0.3 is available Mojave, Catalina, and Big Sur. Software Update should offer it to you, and I can't figure out how to d/l it otherwise.

Are you certain that you're running the latest version of your extension?


MacBook Pro - Catalina 10.15.7
Safari 14.0.3
Music 1.0.6.10
iPhone 7 Version 14.1




Re: New warning message
plantsower #58093 02/26/21 05:50 AM
Joined: Aug 2009
Likes: 3
Moderator
Offline
Moderator

Joined: Aug 2009
Likes: 3
Hi Rita, I'm running Catalina 10.15.7 and I recall that the update to Safari 14.0.3 was kinda hidden in the small print beneath the UPGRADE TO BIG SUR info in the top portion of the Software Update PrefPane in System Preferences......it could be easy to overlook.


Freedom is never free....thank a Service member today.
Re: New warning message
MacManiac #58094 02/26/21 06:06 AM
Joined: Sep 2009
Likes: 1
OP Online

Joined: Sep 2009
Likes: 1
Yes, I noticed it about 20 minutes ago and updated it. Thank you. I didn't see it the first time.

Originally Posted by MacManiac
Hi Rita, I'm running Catalina 10.15.7 and I recall that the update to Safari 14.0.3 was kinda hidden in the small print beneath the UPGRADE TO BIG SUR info in the top portion of the Software Update PrefPane in System Preferences......it could be easy to overlook.


MacBook Pro - Catalina 10.15.7
Safari 14.0.3
Music 1.0.6.10
iPhone 7 Version 14.1




Re: New warning message
artie505 #58095 02/26/21 06:07 AM
Joined: Sep 2009
Likes: 1
OP Online

Joined: Sep 2009
Likes: 1
You were right, and now it is fixed. I really didn't think a developer would worry about it being unsafe as they have access to some of my info and I thought they liked it that way. frown


Originally Posted by artie505
Originally Posted by plantsower
Here's the screen shot: Warning Banner
As I suspected, the pop-up is coming from your extension's developer, so it may mean that you're not up to date...either Safari, the extension, or both.

I've got no idea what Firefox may have done to "fix" the problem, but I can reasonably guess that it installed the correct or, as the case may be, appropriate version.


MacBook Pro - Catalina 10.15.7
Safari 14.0.3
Music 1.0.6.10
iPhone 7 Version 14.1




Re: New warning message
plantsower #58096 02/26/21 09:07 AM
Joined: Aug 2009
Likes: 2
Offline

Joined: Aug 2009
Likes: 2
Originally Posted by plantsower
You were right, and now it is fixed. I really didn't think a developer would worry about it being unsafe as they have access to some of my info and I thought they liked it that way. frown
I doubt that whatever you've done affected the dev's access to your info.

I can't begin to guess what it might have actually fixed, but it was apparently something that left you at risk of something other than info disclosure.

Re: New warning message
artie505 #58101 02/27/21 12:39 AM
Joined: Sep 2009
Likes: 1
OP Online

Joined: Sep 2009
Likes: 1
You're probably right.


Originally Posted by artie505
Originally Posted by plantsower
You were right, and now it is fixed. I really didn't think a developer would worry about it being unsafe as they have access to some of my info and I thought they liked it that way. frown
I doubt that whatever you've done affected the dev's access to your info.

I can't begin to guess what it might have actually fixed, but it was apparently something that left you at risk of something other than info disclosure.


MacBook Pro - Catalina 10.15.7
Safari 14.0.3
Music 1.0.6.10
iPhone 7 Version 14.1




Re: New warning message
plantsower #58102 02/27/21 01:14 AM
Joined: Aug 2009
Likes: 2
Offline

Joined: Aug 2009
Likes: 2
Just to set my mind straight, it sounds as if it was the Safari update that fixed your issue. Is that correct?

Re: New warning message
artie505 #58103 02/27/21 01:48 AM
Joined: Sep 2009
Likes: 1
OP Online

Joined: Sep 2009
Likes: 1
No, it was checking with the app again and it said the app needs a fix. It had something to click on for it and I did. That took care of it.


Originally Posted by artie505
Just to set my mind straight, it sounds as if it was the Safari update that fixed your issue. Is that correct?


MacBook Pro - Catalina 10.15.7
Safari 14.0.3
Music 1.0.6.10
iPhone 7 Version 14.1




Re: New warning message
plantsower #58104 02/27/21 02:12 AM
Joined: Aug 2009
Likes: 2
Offline

Joined: Aug 2009
Likes: 2
Originally Posted by plantsower
No, it was checking with the app again and it said the app needs a fix. It had something to click on for it and I did. That took care of it.


Originally Posted by artie505
Just to set my mind straight, it sounds as if it was the Safari update that fixed your issue. Is that correct?
OK, thanks. You confused me.

I though you were talking about Firefox when you said that.
Quote
I clicked on the extension and it said there was a problem with my extension in Firefox. I don't even use it in Firefox so I turned it off. I got the message again. I clicked on the extension again and there was a "fix" button. I clicked it and I guess it got fixed in Firefox.
That final "Firefox" should have been "Safari," but I missed it.

Re: New warning message
artie505 #58105 02/27/21 06:02 PM
Joined: Sep 2009
Likes: 1
OP Online

Joined: Sep 2009
Likes: 1
I thought you were talking about Firefox when you said that.

I was. It's hard to explain. A big window popped up on my screen and said there is a problem with the app on firefox. Then there was a box that said "fix". So, I clicked on the box and it got fixed. That's all I know. LOL!


MacBook Pro - Catalina 10.15.7
Safari 14.0.3
Music 1.0.6.10
iPhone 7 Version 14.1




Re: New warning message
plantsower #58108 02/27/21 09:15 PM
Joined: Aug 2009
Likes: 2
Offline

Joined: Aug 2009
Likes: 2
Originally Posted by plantsower
I was. It's hard to explain. A big window popped up on my screen and said there is a problem with the app on firefox. Then there was a box that said "fix". So, I clicked on the box and it got fixed. That's all I know. LOL!
So the Firefox fix fixed the Safari issue?

Totally confusing, including the fact that you've referred to "it" as both an app and an extension.

Oh, well, no use beating the horse any longer now that it's come back to life.

Case closed!

(In retrospect, I'd love to have experienced this myself.)

Re: New warning message
artie505 #58116 02/28/21 12:35 AM
Joined: Sep 2009
Likes: 1
OP Online

Joined: Sep 2009
Likes: 1
The case may be closed but I think of extensions as apps. I didn't know that would throw a monkey wrench into the conversation. Semantics I guess. The window that popped up on my screen was from the app (extension) itself letting me know that there was something wrong with it in Firefox. It was fine in Safari. So I believed it and clicked "fix" and it did. Whew!



Originally Posted by artie505
Originally Posted by plantsower
I was. It's hard to explain. A big window popped up on my screen and said there is a problem with the app on firefox. Then there was a box that said "fix". So, I clicked on the box and it got fixed. That's all I know. LOL!
So the Firefox fix fixed the Safari issue?

Totally confusing, including the fact that you've referred to "it" as both an app and an extension.

Oh, well, no use beating the horse any longer now that it's come back to life.

Case closed!

(In retrospect, I'd love to have experienced this myself.)


MacBook Pro - Catalina 10.15.7
Safari 14.0.3
Music 1.0.6.10
iPhone 7 Version 14.1




Re: New warning message
plantsower #58119 02/28/21 01:12 AM
Joined: Aug 2009
Likes: 2
Offline

Joined: Aug 2009
Likes: 2
Originally Posted by plantsower
The window that popped up on my screen was from the app (extension) itself letting me know that there was something wrong with it in Firefox. It was fine in Safari. So I believed it and clicked "fix" and it did. Whew!

The final piece of the puzzle...my puzzle, anyhow:
Quote
I clicked on the extension and it said there was a problem with my extension in Firefox. I don't even use it in Firefox so I turned it off. (Emphasis added)
I assumed that the pop-up popped up within your browser...Safari, since you don't use the extension in Firefox, but it apparently just popped up...independently of either browser.

Have you got the both the Safari and Firefox versions of the extension?

Re: New warning message
artie505 #58120 02/28/21 02:45 AM
Joined: Sep 2009
Likes: 1
OP Online

Joined: Sep 2009
Likes: 1
Have you got the both the Safari and Firefox versions of the extension? [/quote]

Yes, but I rarely use the Firefox one. I forgot I had it there. The window did pop up independently of either browser and threw me a little.


MacBook Pro - Catalina 10.15.7
Safari 14.0.3
Music 1.0.6.10
iPhone 7 Version 14.1




Re: New warning message
plantsower #58121 02/28/21 02:58 AM
Joined: Aug 2009
Likes: 2
Offline

Joined: Aug 2009
Likes: 2
Originally Posted by plantsower
Have you got the both the Safari and Firefox versions of the extension?

Yes, but I rarely use the Firefox one. I forgot I had it there. The window did pop up independently of either browser and threw me a little.
OK, I think we've now reached the end of this tale.
In the end, the extension was taking good care of you.


Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.4
(Release build 20200307)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 7.3.24 Page Time: 0.028s Queries: 64 (0.015s) Memory: 0.8342 MB (Peak: 0.9928 MB) Data Comp: Zlib Server Time: 2021-04-18 05:06:13 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS