for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Can't activate email on iPhone
#57767 02/04/21 05:06 AM
OP Offline

I added an email to my iPhone and it looks like it worked but when I click on the mail icon the use it, there are no inbox, trash, sent, folders at all and no way to compose an email.

Any ideas?

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Re: Can't activate email on iPhone
plantsower #57769 02/04/21 09:41 AM

I'm confused by your question, Rita.

Did you add a new/3rd party email app, and if so, which one?

And if not, what, exactly, did you do?

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #57770 02/04/21 06:06 PM
OP Offline

No. I just added my email to the email area on the iPhone. I put all the info in and it's in there as active but there is no way to compose, etc., like I mentioned. The insurance company is still waiting on me to send a pic of my bill but I can't. I'm so angry. I'm going to try to send a text to myself from my iPhone with the pic and go from there though the iPhone pic isn't real clear. Not sure how to fix that.

Originally Posted by artie505
I'm confused by your question, Rita.

Did you add a new/3rd party email app, and if so, which one?

And if not, what, exactly, did you do?

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #57771 02/04/21 06:25 PM

Apple was having some extensive server outages. This could have affected your efforts here and in the other thread in which you posted.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #57772 02/04/21 07:09 PM
OP Offline

Thanks, Ira. But would that cause my iPhone mail program not to have the usual provisions to even try to email something like a way to compose and a way to send?

Originally Posted by Ira L
Apple was having some extensive server outages. This could have affected your efforts here and in the other thread in which you posted.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #57775 02/05/21 12:33 AM

But would that cause my iPhone mail program not to have the usual provisions to even try to email something like a way to compose and a way to send?
  • Unless the new email account is on Apples servers (ie. @Mac.com, @me.com or @iCloud.com) it would not be affected by anything relating to Apple' email servers.
  • If the account is an IMAP account, what you see on your computer is a mirror of the IMAP server. So If the provider's IMAP servers went down at just the right critical moment, you might not see the various mailboxes in a new account because they had not yet been populated on your computer yet and won't be until the remote server comes back on line. That would be an extremely rare situation however because the timing of the failure would be an extremely narrow window. NOTE: Apple email accounts are IMAP.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #57777 02/05/21 01:55 AM
OP Offline

It's definitely IMAP and, as I said, it's working now on my Mac. I used to be able to get email on my iPhone, no problem. I remember when I tried to set it up this time, it said something about SSL something or other and that it couldn't send or receive with or without it, I can't remember which. I wonder if I should just start over. Since my iPhone and Mac are synched I am afraid to try in case it screws up my email account again on my Mac. What to do, what to do? 🤷‍♀️

Originally Posted by joemikeb
But would that cause my iPhone mail program not to have the usual provisions to even try to email something like a way to compose and a way to send?
  • Unless the new email account is on Apples servers (ie. @Mac.com, @me.com or @iCloud.com) it would not be affected by anything relating to Apple' email servers.
  • If the account is an IMAP account, what you see on your computer is a mirror of the IMAP server. So If the provider's IMAP servers went down at just the right critical moment, you might not see the various mailboxes in a new account because they had not yet been populated on your computer yet and won't be until the remote server comes back on line. That would be an extremely rare situation however because the timing of the failure would be an extremely narrow window. NOTE: Apple email accounts are IMAP.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #57778 02/05/21 02:00 PM

Since your phone is synched via iCloud and is working, then it follows that you phone should have synched by now and should also be working. Try again on your Mac and see if the account hasn't already been set up. If you get another warning or error message, either grab a screenshot or copy it in detail and post it back here otherwise we are left attempting to guess what is happening from a virtually limitless list of possibilities.

Last edited by joemikeb; 02/05/21 02:01 PM.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #57782 02/05/21 07:04 PM

The original post here and in the other thread I mentioned said there were problems with Messages and other iApps. The outage would have affected those. However, it is a moot point now since the problem was corrected by Apple. The current issue is another matter.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
joemikeb #57783 02/05/21 07:28 PM
OP Offline

I'm not quite understanding. Try what on my Mac? My email is working like I mentioned. It's just not working on my iPhone. ????

Since your phone is synched via iCloud and is working, then it follows that you phone should have synched by now and should also be working. Try again on your Mac and see if the account hasn't already been set up. If you get another warning or error message, either grab a screenshot or copy it in detail and post it back here otherwise we are left attempting to guess what is happening from a virtually limitless list of possibilities.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Ira L #57785 02/05/21 08:02 PM
OP Offline

Well, I looked at my email program again on my iPhone and it's working for some reason. Thank you.

The original post here and in the other thread I mentioned said there were problems with Messages and other iApps. The outage would have affected those. However, it is a moot point now since the problem was corrected by Apple. The current issue is another matter.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

joemikeb #57786 02/05/21 08:02 PM
OP Offline

Well, I looked at my email program again on my iPhone and it's working for some reason. Thank you.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #57788 02/05/21 08:48 PM

Great! Just be aware. that your phone and you Mac may not be connecting to the same servers, although they are using the same address (telephone number). So it is possible that one server or the other might be down and the other still operating normally. That could account for your situation being as frustrating and confusing as it was.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #57791 02/05/21 10:04 PM
OP Offline

OK. Thanks for the heads up!

Great! Just be aware. that your phone and you Mac may not be connecting to the same servers, although they are using the same address (telephone number). So it is possible that one server or the other might be down and the other still operating normally. That could account for your situation being as frustrating and confusing as it was.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard