for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
How to change default email
#57248 12/08/20 09:08 PM
OP Offline

When I send something to someone via the share button to their email, it doesn't use the email I want it to. I can't find a way to change the default email. I have three email accounts. This is what I found on a discussion board regarding this issue on Catalina: If you haven’t installed a new email app on your Mac, only “Mail.app” will show up. I don't see an email app under Applications for any of my email accounts. Is there a way around this? I'm not sure what to do. Thanks.

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Re: How to change default email
plantsower #57251 12/08/20 11:34 PM

Try Mail > Preferences > General and change the setting for Default email reader. Also, see if there is a similar preference in your other email apps.

Last edited by jchuzi; 12/09/20 12:28 AM.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
plantsower #57254 12/09/20 01:04 AM

If I'm following you, Rita, Mail > Prefs > Composing > Send new messages from:"xyz" may be the setting you need.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
jchuzi #57256 12/09/20 01:58 AM
OP Offline

Hi: That's what I tried before but it didn't work. I just now tried what Artie said to do, and it worked. But, thank you!

Originally Posted by jchuzi
Try Mail > Preferences > General and change the setting for Default email reader. Also, see if there is a similar preference in your other email apps.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

artie505 #57257 12/09/20 01:58 AM
OP Offline

Worked like a champ! Thanks, Artie. Funny, that never came up in all my searches online.

Originally Posted by artie505
If I'm following you, Rita, Mail > Prefs > Composing > Send new messages from:"xyz" may be the setting you need.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #57258 12/09/20 02:10 AM

Glad it worked!

Depending upon how you use your three accounts, you may want to try "Automatically select best account." I've found that Mail does a pretty good job of learning.

(I've often had to ask Google the same question in many different formats before it's found my answer. It can get awfully frustrating.)

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #57262 12/10/20 12:27 AM
OP Offline

I don't see that option, but I'd rather pick the email because one is for family, one is for friends and one is for everything else.

Depending upon how you use your three accounts, you may want to try "Automatically select best account." I've found that Mail does a pretty good job of learning.

(I've often had to ask Google the same question in many different formats before it's found my answer. It can get awfully frustrating.) [/quote]

For sure!

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #57263 12/10/20 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by plantsower
I don't see that option, but I'd rather pick the email because one is for family, one is for friends and one is for everything else.

Don't you see "Automatically select best account" as in the top screenshot here?

If you select it, and then select the email address you want to use (as per the bottom screenshot) for each recipient, Mail remembers and uses the same address each subsequent time you email that recipient.

It's what I do, and I've never noticed Mail not getting it right (but take a look every once in a while in the beginning to be certain).

artie505 #57264 12/10/20 05:48 PM
OP Offline

OK, now I see it. I find that true when I send an email from my Apple mail. I'll start looking to see if it's doing it when I use the share button. Thanks again, Artie (to the rescue)!

Don't you see "Automatically select best account" as in the top screenshot here?

If you select it, and then select the email address you want to use (as per the bottom screenshot) for each recipient, Mail remembers and uses the same address each subsequent time you email that recipient.

It's what I do, and I've never noticed Mail not getting it right (but take a look every once in a while in the beginning to be certain).

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #57265 12/10/20 06:07 PM

OK, now I see it. I find that true when I send an email from my Apple mail. I'll start looking to see if it's doing it when I use the share button.
I'll guess that it will default to your main email address but change to the one you want when you enter the recipient.

artie505 #57268 12/11/20 12:39 AM
OP Offline

I just pretended to send someone an email via share off of my Safari Browser. It showed my default email. When I put in the recipient it just stayed on the default email. When I email this person from my mail program, it defaults to the one I usually use with that person. Oh well. I can always change it as I go.

OK, now I see it. I find that true when I send an email from my Apple mail. I'll start looking to see if it's doing it when I use the share button.
I'll guess that it will default to your main email address but change to the one you want when you enter the recipient.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #57269 12/11/20 01:15 AM

I just pretended to send someone an email via share off of my Safari Browser. It showed my default email. When I put in the recipient it just stayed on the default email. When I email this person from my mail program, it defaults to the one I usually use with that person. Oh well. I can always change it as I go.
What if when you put in the recipient you then change to the right account?

Does it perpetuate?

artie505 #57271 12/11/20 02:03 AM
OP Offline

I tried it and all it does is give me drop down choices of my emails.

What if when you put in the recipient you then change to the right account?

Does it perpetuate?

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #57273 12/11/20 02:28 AM

I guess it can't handle that second level.

Seems strange.

I'll play with it and see if I can finagle something.

Update: I just clicked on the share icon in the App Store, and the unaddressed email that came up used, as I expected it would, my main account, and when I entered a recipient, the account changed to the one that I use for him.

More: Don't forget that if this is a new setting it won't work the first time for a particular recipient, because it takes Mail that first time to "learn.

Last edited by artie505; 12/11/20 03:43 AM. Reason: Update

artie505 #57275 12/11/20 05:10 AM
OP Offline

OK, got it. I'll keep an eye out. Thanks, Artie.

I guess it can't handle that second level.

Seems strange.

I'll play with it and see if I can finagle something.

Update: I just clicked on the share icon in the App Store, and the unaddressed email that came up used, as I expected it would, my main account, and when I entered a recipient, the account changed to the one that I use for him.

More: Don't forget that if this is a new setting it won't work the first time for a particular recipient, because it takes Mail that first time to "learn.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard