Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
10.14.6 Combo won't install over existing 10.14.6
#57102 11/28/20 02:29 AM
ryck Online OP
OP Online

I am running OS 10.14.6 on an iMac (Retina 5K, 27 inch, 2017). I have a slowness issue that comes and goes although I have found that reinstalling the system, and then installing the updates, seems to fend things off for a while. So, having read often about the efficacy of installing system updates that are combo, I thought I'd give that a try and downloaded a DMG of macOSUpdCombo10.14.6

Despite the fact that I am already running 10.14.6, when I try to install the combo I get a dialogue box that says: "macOS10.14.6 Update can't be installed on this disk. This volume does not meet the requirements for this update."

Huh??

Last edited by ryck; 11/28/20 02:36 AM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
Re: 10.14.6 Combo won't install over existing 10.14.6
ryck #57103 11/28/20 04:28 AM

That's been an ongoing, albeit inconsistent, problem for, literally, years.

I've run into it myself on any number of occasions, and it's been posted here more than once.

Sometimes I"ve been "permitted" to run/rerun the Combo, and other times, inexplicably, I've been stymied by the same pop-up you've run into.

Sometimes I think it's a matter of "you've run it already, so you don't need to run it again," but other times that logic falls by the wayside.

I didn't get into your exchange with Ira in depth, but I wonder if it's pertinent?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited by artie505; 11/28/20 12:10 PM.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #57109 11/28/20 03:32 PM
ryck Online OP
OP Online

Originally Posted by artie505
I didn't get into your exchange with Ira in depth, but I wonder if it's pertinent?
It may well be, particularly that business about the MRT V1.68 versus V1.67 and the sluggishness issues caused on 'some' machines. The article Ira provided cautions that it may be difficult to get back to V1.67. which is why I thought a Combo Update might be the answer.

I don't recall the previous postings on the Combo Update failure to install. Did anyone ever find a solution? e.g. just keep trying until it works? Download a fresh version of the DMG?

Last edited by ryck; 11/28/20 03:34 PM.

ryck

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #57120 11/29/20 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by ryck
I don't recall the previous postings on the Combo Update failure to install. Did anyone ever find a solution? e.g. just keep trying until it works? Download a fresh version of the DMG?
I don't recall anyone ever posting a solution, I've tried more than once on any number of occasions, even going so far as to d/l a new .dmg, but with no joy.

It may just be time for you to try re-installing Mojave. Can't hurt...may help.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #57130 11/30/20 03:42 PM
ryck Online OP
OP Online

It may just be time for you to try re-installing Mojave. Can't hurt...may help.
I've done that a couple of times, using the Recovery Disk, to have only temporary respite. I thought the Combo might catch something a regular update might miss but, given this hiccup, I guess that's out. I'll press on in the other thread.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #57131 11/30/20 03:52 PM

Oops! I forgot about your other thread.

I think you've logged in to a test account, but have you ever tried a safe boot?

artie505 #57135 11/30/20 09:34 PM
ryck Online OP
OP Online

....but have you ever tried a safe boot?
No. Are you thinking as a way to make the Combo Update install without a hitch?

Last edited by ryck; 11/30/20 09:35 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #57136 11/30/20 09:41 PM

....but have you ever tried a safe boot?
No. Are you thinking as a way to make the Combo Update install without a hitch?
I've tried that myself with no success, but it's always worth another try.

I'm really interested in learning if your problems are perpetuated in safe mode.

A safe boot is a standard troubleshooting technique, and I"m surprised that it's never been suggested.

artie505 #57162 12/03/20 04:25 PM
ryck Online OP
OP Online

Right now, things are working fine so I'll stick with the "...if it ain't broke..." philosophy for now. If the slowness starts up again I'll do two things. 1) Try Safe Boot as a way to install the Combo Update and report in this thread. 2) If the slowness issue is not there in Safe Mode, I'll report in the 'slowness issue' thrad.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #57163 12/03/20 06:14 PM

I have been consistently satisfied with the incremental updates and haven't bothered with downloading the combo up[daters in years so it just dawned me the easiest way to perform a combo update of MacOS since Sierra (macOS 10.12) is booting the Recovery Assistant (cold boot either holding ⌘R keys on Intel Macs or pressing and holding the power button on Macs with Apple silicon) and running Reinstall MacOS. That will always be a full install of the MacOS version that is currently installed on your Mac and should take care of any re-installation glitches you may encounter. UpGRADES installed from System Preferences > Software Update are FULL installs, upDATES are incremental.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #57170 12/03/20 10:59 PM
ryck Online OP
OP Online

Originally Posted by joemikeb
.... the easiest way to perform a combo update of MacOS since Sierra (macOS 10.12) is booting the Recovery Assistant (cold boot either holding ⌘R keys on Intel Macs or pressing and holding the power button on Macs with Apple silicon) and running Reinstall MacOS. That will always be a full install of the MacOS version that is currently installed on your Mac and should take care of any re-installation glitches you may encounter.
I have been reinstalling the system from the Recovery Drive but I don't get there with ⌘R keys. I boot while holding down the Option key. Just to be sure I understand - are those key selections the difference between installing just the system or installing the Combo Update? I note that, after doing an install by getting to the Recovery Drive with the Option key, I am then required to do the updates separately.

Last edited by ryck; 12/03/20 11:02 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #57172 12/04/20 02:14 AM

I have been reinstalling the system from the Recovery Drive but I don't get there with ⌘R keys. I boot while holding down the Option key. Just to be sure I understand - are those key selections the difference between installing just the system or installing the Combo Update? I note that, after doing an install by getting to the Recovery Drive with the Option key, I am then required to do the updates separately.
This Apple support document is the latest, and best, explanation of the options I can find. Be sure and read all the way down, including the part entitled Other macOS installation options. NOTE: Nowhere does this document even mention an Option Boot option. Is it possible there is another drive attached to your system with a Recovery Drive partition/volume on it? Go to System Preferences > Startup Disk and if a Recovery Drive shows up, that is a problem.

The necessity to perform the updates after a re-install would seem to indicate your Recovery Drive is not being updated for some reason. Assuming you have a good backup, you might consider using Disk Utility from the Recovery Drive to erase your drive and start over with a clean install, which would include re-creating the appropriate Recovery Drive.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #57175 12/04/20 10:58 AM
ryck Online OP
OP Online

This Apple support document is the latest, and best, explanation of the options I can find. Be sure and read all the way down, including the part entitled Other macOS installation options.
Thanks for the link. It is wise to read all the way to the bottom because of the caveat in this:

“Reinstall macOS from the App Store instead of using macOS Recovery. If you can't install the latest macOS, you might be able to install an earlier macOS."

If the reinstall replaced with the latest system (Big Sur), I’d be mighty unhappy as It’s way too soon for me. And, it appears that getting what I want (Mojave 10.14.6) is only a maybe.

NOTE: Nowhere does this document even mention an Option Boot option. Is it possible there is another drive attached to your system with a Recovery Drive partition/volume on it? Go to System Preferences > Startup Disk and if a Recovery Drive shows up, that is a problem.
That would explain why I see two Recovery Drives using Option Boot - I assume they are one apiece on each of my two backup drives. When I go to System Preferences > Startup Disk there is no Recovery Drive shown.

The necessity to perform the updates after a re-install would seem to indicate your Recovery Drive is not being updated for some reason.
Which probably brings us full circle with needing to get a complete reinstall on my main drive, as the two recovery drives should be identical to it. Both are Carbon Copy Clones - one daily, one weekly.

So, it seems to me, the best bet might be to do the “….hold the ⌘R keys (I have an Intel Mac) and run Reinstall MacOS…”

Last edited by ryck; 12/04/20 11:01 AM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #57180 12/04/20 07:11 PM

So, it seems to me, the best bet might be to do the “….hold the ⌘R keys (I have an Intel Mac) and run Reinstall MacOS…”
That is what I would do in your situation. A few thoughts:
  • When you invoke "Reinstall MacOS" in the Recovery drive, you will see exactly what MacOS version you are installing and have plenty of opportunities to abort the install if it is the wrong one. 👍
  • Assuming your clone is on an external drive, you could disconnect it before installing/reinstalling to prevent any miscues on your part. (I name my clone Drive/Volume "Clone" for that very reason. (On one occasion, I was presented with five "Macintosh HD" boot volumes with no way to tell which was which and had to back out, disconnect all the external volumes, then start over. 😳)
  • Since you have a viable clone, I urge you to consider erasing your internal drive from the Recovery Drive, then install a clean copy of the OS and let Migration Assistant copy all your settings, apps, accounts, etc. from the clone volume. That should shortstop any "cannot install" complaints. 😉 To be sure you could start the install first to be sure it is an acceptable version, and if it is, about the install, erase the drive, then reinitiate the install. All without leaving the Recovery Drive

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #57182 12/04/20 09:04 PM
ryck Online OP
OP Online

Before your post I went through the ⌘R keys process and macOS Mojave Version 10.14.6 was installed. However, after the install, I checked System Preferences>Software updates and found that the same 3 still need to be done separately. They are:

• Security Update 10.14.6
• macOS Supplemental Update 10.14.6
• Safari 14.0.1

Any idea what this need for after-install updates might indicate?

Last edited by ryck; 12/04/20 09:04 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #57183 12/04/20 10:34 PM

Any idea what this need for after-install updates might indicate?
It indicates that each was a separate patch created after all development ceased on macOS 10.15.x, so Apple never included them in the final Mojave installation package as that would have de. facto created an entirely new Mojave release, macOS 10.15.7.

Last edited by joemikeb; 12/04/20 10:35 PM. Reason: clarification

— Albert Einstein
artie505 #57184 12/05/20 01:07 AM
ryck Online OP
OP Online

I'm really interested in learning if your problems are perpetuated in safe mode.

A safe boot is a standard troubleshooting technique, and I"m surprised that it's never been suggested.
We now have the answer. After my re-install of Mojave, everything worked fine. However, after I installed all the updates (which included one more security update than in the list of three updates above), things slowed to a crawl....and I mean excruciatingly slow. I booted in Safe Mode and things are back to being quick.

What does that say?

EDIT: Does Safe Boot affect the issue raised in this link, which suggests that the slowness is caused by the order of update installs? If so, does it make sense that I:

1. Reinstall the system using ⌘R

2. Then install the updates separately, with the Security Update first

Last edited by ryck; 12/05/20 01:48 AM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #57186 12/05/20 10:03 AM

Tough one!

Ordinarily, when an issue clears up in safe mode I expect it to indicate that a startup app or extension is causing a conflict, but I've got no idea what's going on in your situation.

I've run into the "which update to install first" question more than once in the past, and if my memory serves me, I've always allowed Software Update to install the smorgasbord in whatever order it saw fit, and I"ve never run into any issues.

It'll be a bunch of work, but the logical approach appears to be installing the updates one at a time to see which one breaks your system. (I'd be inclined to install the security updates before the supplemental.)

Afterthought after rolling around my bed for a few hours: After installation, I'd first try to run the Combo, and if that's a go, I"d then run the security updates in chrono order, one at a time, to see where that leaves me.

Last edited by artie505; 12/05/20 03:16 PM. Reason: Afterthought

ryck #57190 12/05/20 07:52 PM

We now have the answer. After my re-install of Mojave, everything worked fine. However, after I installed all the updates (which included one more security update than in the list of three updates above), things slowed to a crawl....and I mean excruciatingly slow. I booted in Safe Mode and things are back to being quick.

What does that say?
What that says to me is you have a third party kernel extension installed on your system that does not play nice with either the supplemental update or the security update or possibly the combination of the two. I seriously doubt the Safari update would be the culprit unless the slowdown is limited strictly to internet browsing. The order of installation "suggestion" sounds more like a coincidental occurence than anything substantial. (But, that is just my opinion.)

Based on, my suspicions, I would do the ⌘R erase and install, but NOT migrate any applications. Then test performance. Install the updates one at a time -- prefereably in their order of initial release -- testing after each update. If yoyu have not hit a slowdown at that point you can begin to reinstall your third party apps -- one at a time beginning with those having kernel extensions -- testing after each until the slowdown occurs. At which point you will have identified the culprit. For this to work you must be methodical and patient. Biting the bullet and upgrading to Catalina might save a lot of time.

— Albert Einstein
ryck #57214 12/06/20 07:20 PM

1. Have you ever opened Activity Monitor during a slowdown to see if there was anything to see as respects CPU usage?

2. Before you go through another reinstall, if you look in /Library/Extensions and, possibly, /System/Library/Extensions you should recognize anything that you installed on your own, and either delete the kext if it was placed by an app you no longer use or quit the apps that placed them. one at a a time, to see if you can pin your error down.

artie505 #57230 12/07/20 08:47 PM
ryck Online OP
OP Online

Afterthought after rolling around my bed for a few hours: After installation, I'd first try to run the Combo, and if that's a go, I"d then run the security updates in chrono order, one at a time, to see where that leaves me.
I did that, doing the Update using the ⌘R approach. I started with the Security Update 005, restarted, and found there was a Security update 006 - so I installed it.

After another restart I did the Supplemental Update which upgraded Safari to 14.0.1

I found that everything was very slow between every install. Then something weird occurred. After a few restarts, things cleared up and I was back to reasonable speeds. It was almost as though Oral Roberts dropped by and placed his hand on my computer. laugh

What does that say?
What that says to me is you have a third party kernel extension installed on your system that does not play nice with either the supplemental update or the security update or possibly the combination of the two.
Before you go through another reinstall, if you look in /Library/Extensions and, possibly, /System/Library/Extensions you should recognize anything that you installed on your own, and either delete the kext if it was placed by an app you no longer use or quit the apps that placed them. one at a a time, to see if you can pin your error down.
Athough things are running well, I am removing Extensions I don’t recognize (from /System/Library/Extensions) and, unless I’m just starting to lose my mind, I believe I am getting small increases in speed. There are some Extensions with absolutely arcane names so, until I know what they are, I’ll just leave them alone.

Curious observation: Throughout all of this, some apps could be counted on always to load quickly - my 32 bit apps.

Last edited by ryck; 12/07/20 08:52 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #57232 12/07/20 11:40 PM

[
I found that everything was very slow between every install. Then something weird occurred. After a few restarts, things cleared up and I was back to reasonable speeds. It was almost as though Oral Roberts dropped by and placed his hand on my computer. laugh
There are lots of caches, etc. needing to be rebuilt after an install so your CPU was working hard to rebuild everything and finally caught up.

Curious observation: Throughout all of this, some apps could be counted on always to load quickly - my 32 bit apps.
It is highly probable there are still legacy thirty-two bit data paths remaining in your Intel processor and even the overall system, so when dealing with sixty-four bit words and instructions, twice as many fetch operations are required for each data movement thereby significantly slowing load times. Upgrade to Apple SoC, which is sixty-for bits from the get-go, and the sixty-four bit apps will load a lot faster.

Last edited by joemikeb; 12/07/20 11:54 PM.

— Albert Einstein
ryck #57233 12/08/20 02:38 AM

Athough things are running well, I am removing Extensions I don’t recognize (from /System/Library/Extensions) and, unless I’m just starting to lose my mind, I believe I am getting small increases in speed. There are some Extensions with absolutely arcane names so, until I know what they are, I’ll just leave them alone.
As a general rule, you shouldn't delete anything from /System/Library/Extensions unless you're 100% CERTAIN of what you're doing. I mentioned that location only as a very outside chance.

The extensions you're interested in should be in /Library/Extensions.

joemikeb #57237 12/08/20 03:56 PM
ryck Online OP
OP Online

It is highly probable there are still legacy thirty-two bit data paths remaining in your Intel processor and even the overall system, so when dealing with sixty-four bit words and instructions, twice as many fetch operations are required for each data movement thereby significantly slowing load times.
Good to know. It means I need to accept that my wish to retain certain 32 bit apps, for which I have not found suitable 64 bit replacements, means I need to bite the bullet on performance.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
artie505 #57238 12/08/20 04:01 PM
ryck Online OP
OP Online

As a general rule, you shouldn't delete anything from /System/Library/Extensions unless you're 100% CERTAIN of what you're doing.
I only removed those which included the software names and for which the original software no longer resides on my computer. I have now stopped any further removals.

The extensions you're interested in should be in /Library/Extensions.
Where do I find that folder? I assumed it meant my User Library but, on my drive, that User library does not have an Extensions folder.

Last edited by ryck; 12/08/20 04:02 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard