for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
iPhone keyboard?
#57052 11/23/20 08:52 AM
OP Online

The down-side of complicated passwords is that they're a giant PIA to enter on my iPhone 5S's tiny keyboard, so I'm wondering if there's a way to see the entire keyboard on a single screen in iOS? I searched the app store, but with no joy.

Thanks.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: iPhone keyboard?
artie505 #57056 11/23/20 06:08 PM

I don't know what will happen on your 5S, but on the XR if you rotate the phone to landscape position you will at least get a wider, larger keyboard. It does not occupy the entire screen, but it is more keyboard.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #57065 11/23/20 08:48 PM
OP Online

Thanks, Ira. Sometimes it rotates, but last night when I was trying to enter a PIA password, it wouldn't.

And it's not so much the small keyboard that's the problem, rather it's the number of shifts necessary to enter a really secure p/w.

It seems as if someone would have thought to create an app that, if only for password purposes, puts the entire keyboard on the screen at once.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #57066 11/23/20 10:22 PM

A couple of suggestions:
  • If there is not a lot of noise in the area, and no listening ears, you can touch the microphone icon and verbally spell out the password.
  • I look the password up in my password manager (1 Password) copy it to the clipboard then paste it into the password field in the app. (I can verbalize the search argument.)
  • Contact the app developer and ask they add biometric identification as an alternative to a password

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #57068 11/24/20 03:53 AM
OP Online

Originally Posted by joemikeb
A couple of suggestions:
  • If there is not a lot of noise in the area, and no listening ears, you can touch the microphone icon and verbally spell out the password.
  • I look the password up in my password manager (1 Password) copy it to the clipboard then paste it into the password field in the app. (I can verbalize the search argument.)
  • Contact the app developer and ask they add biometric identification as an alternative to a password
Thanks for the suggestions, but I'm sorry to say that they're a no-go.
  • I cant get the mic icon to come up, because neither app has requested it.
  • I don't use a password manager, but even if I did, I'd be back to square one, having to enter a very secure p/w to access it. (Hmmm... Does 1 Password grant mic access?)
  • The apps causing my problem are Chase Bank and PayPal, and I've got zero inclination to be Don Quixote.

artie505 #57069 11/24/20 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by artie505
Thanks for the suggestions, but I'm sorry to say that they're a no-go.
  • I cant get the mic icon to come up, because neither app has requested it.
  • I don't use a password manager, but even if I did, I'd be back to square one, having to enter a very secure p/w to access it. (Hmmm... Does 1 Password grant mic access?)
  • The apps causing my problem are Chase Bank and PayPal, and I've got zero inclination to be Don Quixote.
1Password accepts biometric access (facial ID, Fingerprint) and yes it does accept verbal input via the Microphone as seen here.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #57071 11/24/20 04:40 PM
OP Online

1Password accepts biometric access (facial ID, Fingerprint) and yes it does accept verbal input via the Microphone as seen here.
Thanks for that.

It's a viable solution but for the cost. Not that it's prohibitively expensive in general, but for my extremely limited need, it's over the top.

I will remember it against future real need, though

artie505 #57099 11/27/20 06:12 AM
OP Online

Originally Posted by artie505
And it's not so much the small keyboard that's the problem, rather it's the number of shifts necessary to enter a really secure p/w.
I left out that when I"m on my iPhone, beyond the shifting I've got absolutely zero idea which keys to hit when I get to "upper case numbers." frown

It would have been thoughtful of Apple to have placed the symbols immediately above or below the numbers of which they're the "capitals."

artie505 #57100 11/27/20 04:12 PM

Have you tried turning Settings > Accessibility > Keyboards > Show Lowercase Keys on and off?

Many men my age, including me, use an iPhone Max because the larger screen size is easier to see with our elder eyes, and the larger keys are easier to hit with our fat fingers. One man I know often uses his iPad mini instead of his iPhone for the same reason. That said, I know that Apple spent a LOT of time and money on a variety of experts to+ come up with their keyboards, but no one can please all of the people all of the time. As a result there is a plethora of keyboards available on the App Store, the majority feature emoji or fancy fonts, but there are those intended to make the keyboard easier to use, even apps to create your own custom keyboard. You might browse through them and see if there is something that might be helpful.

— Albert Einstein
Ira L #57152 12/02/20 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Ira L
I don't know what will happen on your 5S, but on the XR if you rotate the phone to landscape position you will at least get a wider, larger keyboard. It does not occupy the entire screen, but it is more keyboard.
I have often lamented the tiny keys on my iPhone 6 and it never dawned on me simply to rotate the device. It ain't perfect but it's much better than before. Thanks.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
joemikeb #57201 12/06/20 11:45 AM
OP Online

Many men my age, including me, use an iPhone Max because the larger screen size is easier to see with our elder eyes, and the larger keys are easier to hit with our fat fingers. One man I know often uses his iPad mini instead of his iPhone for the same reason. That said, I know that Apple spent a LOT of time and money on a variety of experts to+ come up with their keyboards, but no one can please all of the people all of the time. As a result there is a plethora of keyboards available on the App Store, the majority feature emoji or fancy fonts, but there are those intended to make the keyboard easier to use, even apps to create your own custom keyboard. You might browse through them and see if there is something that might be helpful.
I took a look in the App Store and didn't find anything that appears to suit my needs, which I might have made more clear...

Over the years, I've developed complicated passwords which are, nonetheless, easily entered on my MBP's keyboard, but which are a giant PIA on my iPhone.

To get into PayPal, for instance, I"ve got to go through this routine (with "s" for shift, "l" for letter, "n" for number, and "# for symbol"):

s-n-n-#-#-#-#-s-l-l-s-s-#-#-#-s-n-n-n-n-s-s-l-s-l

And further complicating things is the fact that I've got those symbols burned into my brain as, for instance, "u.c. 6" rather than as "^," so to access PayPal from my phone I"ve got to either remember a second password or "replace" my original with a more cumbersome one.

So you can see that i'm not the least bit inclined to ever access PayPal from my phone.

What I'd love to see is an option to call up a password keyboard with a tiny entry field and a large keyboard with all characters appearing as they do on my MBP's keyboard.

If anybody is aware of such an app, I"d apreciate their posting it.

ryck #57202 12/06/20 11:52 AM
OP Online

Originally Posted by ryck
Originally Posted by Ira L
I have often lamented the tiny keys on my iPhone 6 and it never dawned on me simply to rotate the device. It ain't perfect but it's much better than before. Thanks.
I've learned how to place my skinny fingers to successfully use the small keyboard, and I've had a problem with rotating it to large mode: Maybe I don't wait long enough, but I frequently can't get it to happen or, if it does, revert, which always gives me a problem with quitting the app.

artie505 #57211 12/06/20 03:37 PM

You aren't the only one with complex and difficult to enter passwords. I have my iPhone, iPad, and Mac keychains synched through iCloud (which is convenient but not essential) and biometric identification enabled. When I open the Paypal app or go to Paypal in Safari; the keychain automatically offers to fill in the password and I authenticate by touching the button, or looking at the device and the password is automatically entered. I don't have to remember it or enter it. That feature is enabled on my iPhone simply by setting an initial logon passcode (a six-digit number) and logging on after each reboot. After that the biometric ID works for almost everything else. Just in case, my wife and I each have the other's biometric ID on one another's devices. Biometric identification is simple and arguably safer than a password. There are only two problems...
  1. ...in these days of Pandemic my face is not recognized when I am wearing the required mask so I have to enter the passcode.
  2. ...there is no way around entering the Apple ID password, keychain won't fill it in.

This works for a wide variety of apps and websites. My bank, USAA, doesn't accept just fingerprint and facial recognition, it also accepts voice recognition.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #57223 12/07/20 04:25 AM
OP Online

Hah! Since there's no way to avoid entering at least one (theoretically) complicated password to get to where you're going, it would behoove Apple to enable an easy means, such as I've suggested, to enter it.

artie505 #57225 12/07/20 01:10 PM

Six numbers entered on a 10 key pad that only has numbers, how is that complicated and difficult? confused

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #57234 12/08/20 02:41 AM
OP Online

Six numbers entered on a 10 key pad that only has numbers, how is that complicated and difficult? confused
That doesn't sound like it refers to
...there is no way around entering the Apple ID password, keychain won't fill it in.

My Apple ID is far more complicated than that.

Your response sounds like it's about unlocking the phone.

artie505 #57239 12/08/20 04:22 PM

You are correct, I didn't realize you Apple ID password was the referent. frown

— Albert Einstein

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard