Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: iphone folder hell MAIL - expanded folders
MG2009 #57302 12/13/20 10:57 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks JOe, good explanation. Is this hopeless or IOS can one day have as default folders collapsed was on normal computer?

kevs #57305 12/14/20 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by keys
Is this hopeless or IOS can one day have as default folders collapsed was on normal computer?
Finder, including Spotlight, and true multi-tasking are the principal differences between MacOS and iOS/iPadOS. Eliminating those functionalities permits iPhones and iPads to get by with as little as 1GB of memory and 16GB of storage with sufficient battery capacity to last all day. Certainly it is possible that hardware size and power requirements capable of running full featured MacOS in an iPhone form factor will someday be available, but that will probably require an order of magnitude reduction in the size of the die and achieving that could potentially require a major change in the technologies used to manufacture the chip or in the chip itself. That will happen, the technological feasibility was demonstrated in the '90s, but no one has figured out how to manufacture it — yet.

THIS JUST IN: As I was writing this post, I was installing iOS/iPadOS 14.3 and decided to take another look at Apple's attempt at Finder for iOS/iPadOS, Find before posting. Find has definitely improved since the last time I looked at it. Lo and Behold it does offer some of the collapse & expand folder display features of Finder on the Mac — not all of them and not 100% the same but definitely usable. Therefore it would appear there may well be APIs that could provide a semblance of the functionality you desire if they were used in Mail or third part apps. Now all you need is for Apple to integrate those APIs into Mail. If you can get 1,000 to 1,500 or so, of your friends to request that feature, it could well appear in iOS/iPadOS 15 or 16.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
MG2009 #57310 12/14/20 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by MG2009
O-o-o-o. I actually understood what you meant. (Pat myself on the back.)

That "stubborn" folder only shows up in MAIL on the iPad II and not in MAIL on my desktop iMac. Will check out the directions you offered. Thanks.

UPDATE: Checked the server. The "stubborn" folder does not show up there, either. It seems only to be stuck in MAIL on the iPad II. Any other ideas?

If you have chosen not to use iCloud for Mail on your Mac (or vice versa with the iPhone), then the folder may not show up. Check your Settings>Apple ID>(sidebar) iCloud and see if Mail is checked under "Apps on this Mac using iCloud".

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #57311 12/14/20 08:21 PM

In Mail on MacOS on the the Mail menu bar under Messages there is an option to "Synchronize All Accounts" that is intended to clean up mis-matches like you are seeing on your iPhone. As I don't use Mail on my iOS devices I can't verify whether this option is available in that venue or not, but you might look for it in Settings > Mail.

Theoretically that should also be cleared up if all of your devices are set to synchronize Mail through your Apple ID (iCloud).
  • ON YOUR MAC: look under System Preferences > Apple ID > iCloud
  • ON YOUR IPHONE: look under Settings > Your Name > iCloud
and be sure Mail is checked (✓) in both places. But be aware that synchronization is not necessarily immediate and can sometimes take up to a day or two. 🤷‍♂️

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #57313 12/14/20 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by joemikeb
In Mail on MacOS on the the Mail menu bar under Messages there is an option to "Synchronize All Accounts"
I don't see that under Messages but under Mailbox there is an option to "Synchronize (my wife's account)". What does that do? I could not find an answer in Mail Help. (Her account is IMAP and mine is POP, if that makes any difference.)

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #57315 12/14/20 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by jchuzi
I don't see that under Messages but under Mailbox there is an option to "Synchronize (my wife's account)". What does that do? I could not find an answer in Mail Help. (Her account is IMAP and mine is POP, if that makes any difference.)
It makes all the difference. POP is an elderly protocol designed to support a single user on a single device. In that environment, synchronization is a non-sequitur. IMAP is deigned around the assumption the user will be accessing the account from multiple devices and wants each of them to have all of the same content, so synchronization is the point. It assures that what your wife sees in Mail on her iPhone is exactly what she would see in Mail on her Mac at home, her PC at the office, and in the webmail interface at an internet café.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #57316 12/15/20 12:29 AM

My iMAC does not have anything called APPLE ID in System Preferences.

Doesn't really matter, though, since I have never signed up for iCloud in the past, nor do I wish to do so in the present.

grin

Many thanks,
MG2009
MG2009 #57319 12/15/20 01:45 AM

My iMAC does not have anything called APPLE ID in System Preferences.
You don't see this or maybe something similar depending upon your version of macOS?

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #57320 12/15/20 01:51 AM

No. There is a "sign in" button in the upper right-hand corner. When I click on it, I am asked to create an iCloud Account - which I do not want.

The image you provided, I suspect, only shows up for those who have created an account, then; subsequently, sign in.

Many thanks,
MG2009
MG2009 #57321 12/15/20 01:54 AM

The image you provided, I suspect, only shows up for those who have created an account, then; subsequently, sign in.
Maybe. It's been ages, and I"ve got no idea what I saw originally.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
MG2009 #57322 12/15/20 04:39 PM

If you have an Apple ID, purchased an app from the App Store, purchased or played a tune in Music, registered an Apple Device, sent an iMessage (as opposed to an SMS/MMS text), or activated Find my… on any Apple device; you have an iCloud account including 5GB of iCloud storage space. The net cost to you for all of this is $0.00.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #57325 12/15/20 05:47 PM

That doesn't appear to be true in all cases.

I can login to the Apple Store. BUT, if I want(ed) to use the iCloud, I cannot just sign in there. I am asked to CREATE an iCloud account, which I have not done - according to Apple. So it would seem that while I have an Apple account, I do not automatically become an iCloud member unless I open an iCloud account.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard