FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
iPhone quit ringing
#56235 09/25/20 01:40 AM
OP Offline

Today I received a call from family. After that I misplaced my phone and called it using FaceTime. My phone never rang. My husband called me from his cell and it never rang. I did find my phone and checked the volume, do not disturb was off and the ringer was on. I also reset my network which shouldn't have had anything to do with it and turned off my phone and turned it back on. Nothing is working. Any ideas?

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Re: iPhone quit ringing
plantsower #56239 09/25/20 02:51 PM

While you indicated you had checked the Sound switch on the side of the phone, double-check it. Switch it off and on. That is probably the most common cause of phones not ringing.

Check Settings > Phone > Notifications and be sure a sound is selected and test by changing the selected sound.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
plantsower #56241 09/25/20 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by plantsower
Today I received a call from family. After that I misplaced my phone and called it using FaceTime. My phone never rang. My husband called me from his cell and it never rang. I did find my phone and checked the volume, do not disturb was off and the ringer was on. I also reset my network which shouldn't have had anything to do with it and turned off my phone and turned it back on. Nothing is working. Any ideas?

I have had that problem and the solution that always seems to work is to power off the iPhone; shut it down. If that's what you mean by "turned off…turned it back on", then…? tongue

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
joemikeb #56242 09/25/20 05:16 PM
OP Offline

Hi: Yes, that's what I meant. It's finally ringing now for some reason (at least it did last night when my husband called me again), but I still can't call myself from FaceTime on my Mac which I've always been able to do to find my phone. Yesterday I read where if the IP address on my Mac doesn't match on the first 3 numbers that are on my iPhone or the DNS numbers are different, that my be the cause. I did change my DNS numbers when we were figuring things out recently, remember? I looked and my DNS number on my phone is way different than the new one I put in my Mac. I wrote down what's in my phone and am planning on changing the DNS number to see if that makes a difference. What do you think?

Originally Posted by joemikeb
While you indicated you had checked the Sound switch on the side of the phone, double-check it. Switch it off and on. That is probably the most common cause of phones not ringing.

Check Settings > Phone > Notifications and be sure a sound is selected and test by changing the selected sound.
I did that also after I posted here. It was fine.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Ira L #56243 09/25/20 05:18 PM
OP Offline

Hi Ira: Yes, I actually shut it down to no avail. After some time it started ringing again for some reason. As I told JoeMike above, I still can't get my FaceTime calls from my Mac to call my phone. See what may help as mentioned above if you like. Thanks again.

Originally Posted by Ira L

I have had that problem and the solution that always seems to work is to power off the iPhone; shut it down. If that's what you mean by "turned off…turned it back on", then…? tongue

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #56244 09/25/20 06:37 PM

Yesterday I read where if the IP address on my Mac doesn't match on the first 3 numbers that are on my iPhone or the DNS numbers are different, that my be the cause. I did change my DNS numbers when we were figuring things out recently, remember? I looked and my DNS number on my phone is way different than the new one I put in my Mac
I don't know where you read that, but I often have different DNS settings on different devices and even use a VPN and that should make no difference whatsoever assuming you are using reliable DNS servers such as Google or OpenDNS.

Hi Ira: Yes, I actually shut it down to no avail. After some time it started ringing again for some reason. As I told JoeMike above, I still can't get my FaceTime calls from my Mac to call my phone. See what may help as mentioned above if you like. Thanks again.

ASSUMING:
  • on your iPhone in Settings > Apple ID > Find My iPhone is turned ON
  • The volume on your iPhone is set loud enough to be heard
  • NOTE: The ringer volume is set when there is no active app or call.
  • Sound ISN'T switched OFF
  • The iPhone is switched on and there is remaining battery capacity

AN EASY WAY TO FIND YOUR IPHONE IS
  1. Logon to your iCloud account.
  2. Click on Find iPhone
  3. Wait until the map appears showing the location of all your Apple devices that have Find my activated NOTE: This will work even if the phone is switched off.
  4. If it is nearby click on All Devices
  5. Select your iPhone
  6. Click on Play Sound
  7. Listen for a beep beep beep

This takes a few more steps than Facetime, but it bypasses do not disturb and other silencing settings

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #56246 09/25/20 07:30 PM
OP Offline

Hi there:

Yesterday I read where if the IP address on my Mac doesn't match on the first 3 numbers that are on my iPhone or the DNS numbers are different, that my be the cause. I did change my DNS numbers when we were figuring things out recently, remember? I looked and my DNS number on my phone is way different than the new one I put in my Mac

I don't know where you read that, but I often have different DNS settings on different devices and even use a VPN and that should make no difference whatsoever assuming you are using reliable DNS servers such as Google or OpenDNS. I used the ones Artie gave me and you said they were good.

ASSUMING:
  • on your iPhone in Settings > Apple ID > Find My iPhone is turned ON It is.
  • The volume on your iPhone is set loud enough to be heard Always, plus it's right next to me and still doesn't ring using FaceTime.
  • NOTE: The ringer volume is set when there is no active app or call. Huh? Always on and up high.
  • Sound ISN'T switched OFF. Nope.
  • The iPhone is switched on and there is remaining battery capacity. Again, always.

1. Logon to your iCloud account. Don't have one. Tried it and didn't like it. I used it once to find phone and I got a map. Not helpful. Sound is better.
  2. Click on Find iPhone
  3. Wait until the map appears showing the location of all your Apple devices that have Find my activated NOTE: This will work even if the phone is switched off.
  4. If it is nearby click on All Devices Only good if you use iCloud. I don't need it to call myself from FaceTime.
  5. Select your iPhone
  6. Click on Play Sound
  7. Listen for a beep beep beep The sound works.

This takes a few more steps than Facetime, but it bypasses do not disturb and other silencing settings
I made sure, and I am also signed into Facetime on my iPhone. Darn!

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #56247 09/26/20 12:22 AM

🤦🏻‍♂️ (That is a dope-slap)

FACETIME -- and I was focused on phone! Check Settings > Facetime > Notifications and be sure:
  • Allow Notications is turned ON
  • There is a sound associated with Facetime (change the sound temporarily to see if it can be heard)

You do have an iCloud account, whether you use it or not. It is included with the Apple ID. Without an Apple ID and Password you would not be able to buy apps from the app store and install them on your iPhone (or Mac), buy toons from Music, backup yopur phone to iCloud, etc.. In this case however, the term iCloud refers to an internet portal that provides acces to a variety of Apple services including, but definitely not limited to, the iCloud Drive. Just go to iCloud online and login with your Apple ID and Password. That will give you access to Find Phone. Unfortunately you do have to wait while Apple tries to determine and display the device's physcical location before you can get to the option to...
  • Play the sound,
  • Turn on Lost Mode,
  • or Erase the device

Last edited by joemikeb; 09/26/20 12:24 AM. Reason: iClooud ⇒ iCloud

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #56248 09/26/20 01:37 AM

2. Click on Find iPhone
  5. Select your iPhone
  6. Click on Play Sound

You can do the same thing with Find My.app without being logged in to iCloud.

The sound gets really loud if you ignore it.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
plantsower #56249 09/26/20 01:41 AM

I used the ones Artie gave me and you said they were good.
OpenDNS if they're "208..." and Google if they're "8...."

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
joemikeb #56251 09/26/20 04:14 AM
OP Offline

🤦🏻‍♂️ (That is a dope-slap)

FACETIME -- and I was focused on phone! Check Settings > Facetime > Notifications and be sure:
  • Allow Notications is turned ON It is.
  • There is a sound associated with Facetime (change the sound temporarily to see if it can be heard)
I don't know how to change the sound, but it does make one when it tries to ring through.

You do have an iCloud account, whether you use it or not. It is included with the Apple ID. Without an Apple ID and Password you would not be able to buy apps from the app store and install them on your iPhone (or Mac), buy toons from Music, backup yopur phone to iCloud, etc.. In this case however, the term iCloud refers to an internet portal that provides acces to a variety of Apple services including, but definitely not limited to, the iCloud Drive. Just go to iCloud online and login with your Apple ID and Password. That will give you access to Find Phone. Unfortunately you do have to wait while Apple tries to determine and display the device's physcical location before you can get to the option to...
  • Play the sound,
  • Turn on Lost Mode,
  • or Erase the device
OK, if I can't get FaceTime to work which is what I prefer. The map doesn't help much unless it was stolen or left at a store or something.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

artie505 #56252 09/26/20 04:27 AM
OP Offline

While looking for Find My I found Find my Bluetooth BLE Device on the App Store. I will try that first.
Originally Posted by artie505
  2. Click on Find iPhone
  5. Select your iPhone
  6. Click on Play Sound

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #56253 09/26/20 04:30 AM
OP Offline

Well shoot, it costs money. Never mind.

While looking for Find My I found Find my Bluetooth BLE Device on the App Store. I will try that first.
  2. Click on Find iPhone
  5. Select your iPhone
  6. Click on Play Sound

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

artie505 #56254 09/26/20 04:30 AM
OP Offline

Right. The 208 ones.

I used the ones Artie gave me and you said they were good.
OpenDNS if they're "208..." and Google if they're "8...."

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

artie505 #56255 09/26/20 04:42 AM
OP Offline

I finally realized the Find My.app is already on my Mac. Didn't know that. It wants me to sign into iCloud. I know it sounds silly if I already have an account like JoeMike says, but I feel like everything I do will be in the Cloud, and I don't like that. I read somewhere that even if you don't purposefully put something on the Cloud, it will be there anyway because it's intrusive. Is that true?

The sound gets really loud if you ignore it. [/quote]

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #56256 09/26/20 05:35 AM

Find My just worked for me without my being logged in to iCloud - I confirmed that. - for the second time.

Ah ha! I was working with iCloud.com, which I wasn't logged in to, but I now see that I needed to be logged in to System Prefs > Apple ID.

This is what I see in System Prefs > Apple ID, and as you can see, I've got nothing checked but Find My Mac, and my ENTIRE 5 GB of storage is available, so if iCloud is intrusive, I've got no idea in what manner.

Note: There are three more items on the list below Find My Mac, News, Stocks, and Home, which are also unchecked.

plantsower #56257 09/26/20 02:55 PM

I finally realized the Find My.app is already on my Mac. Didn't know that. It wants me to sign into iCloud. I know it sounds silly if I already have an account like JoeMike says, but I feel like everything I do will be in the Cloud, and I don't like that. I read somewhere that even if you don't purposefully put something on the Cloud, it will be there anyway because it's intrusive. Is that true?
If by intrusive you mean Apple will have a record of the apps you have purchased from the App Store, that you have AppleCare on a device, or any number of other "features" including the ability to Find your device EVEN IF IT IS OFFLINE, that is true. But, every one of those features can be turned off or not used. All of that is managed via your Apple ID and along with that Apple ID you get a 5GB iCloud Drive. If you want to avoid all of that completely then you need to get rid of all your Apple devices and switch to Windows and Samsung.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #56258 09/26/20 05:17 PM
OP Offline

OK, that got a chuckle out of me. It's just that I read many years ago that someone didn't want to use the cloud but looked at it for some reason and said there was stuff in there that they hadn't uploaded. I don't know whether it was something from their word processor or something else, but they weren't happy. So ever since then, I've avoided the Cloud. Plus, I used it once and didn't care for it but can't remember why. LOL!

If you want to avoid all of that completely then you need to get rid of all your Apple devices and switch to Windows and Samsung. [/quote]

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

artie505 #56260 09/26/20 05:22 PM
OP Offline

Does Imgur allow you to black things out like you did, or did you do it some other way like a screen shot of Imgur and then blacked it out?

Find My just worked for me without my being logged in to iCloud - I confirmed that. - for the second time.

Ah ha! I was working with iCloud.com, which I wasn't logged in to, but I now see that I needed to be logged in to System Prefs > Apple ID.

This is what I see in System Prefs > Apple ID, and as you can see, I've got nothing checked but Find My Mac, and my ENTIRE 5 GB of storage is available, so if iCloud is intrusive, I've got no idea in what manner.

Note: There are three more items on the list below Find My Mac, News, Stocks, and Home, which are also unchecked.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #56263 09/26/20 05:42 PM
OP Offline

I noticed you don't have iCloud Drive checked. But stuff still goes into iCloud?

Also, I found a check by Home on my iCloud account. (Yes, I just signed up.) What is that, the same info in Home that's on Finder?

When I looked at the iCloud drive on the sidebar of Finder, there was stuff in there even though I don't have iCloud drive checked.

Does Imgur allow you to black things out like you did, or did you do it some other way like a screen shot of Imgur and then blacked it out?

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #56266 09/26/20 06:34 PM

Before I uploaded to Imgur I opened the screenshot in Preview, selected the text to be deleted - It gets surrounded by blue dots. - and hit "delete."

artie505 #56267 09/26/20 06:39 PM
OP Offline

I didn't know I could do things like that in preview! How do I open preview in a blank screen and then screen shot in preview? I can only seem to open preview if I have a pdf or something already downloaded to it.

Before I uploaded to Imgur I opened the screenshot in Preview, selected the text to be deleted - It gets surrounded by blue dots. - and hit "delete."

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #56268 09/26/20 06:52 PM

I noticed you don't have iCloud Drive checked. But stuff still goes into iCloud?

Also, I found a check by Home on my iCloud account. (Yes, I just signed up.) What is that, the same info in Home that's on Finder?

When I looked at the iCloud drive on the sidebar of Finder, there was stuff in there even though I don't have iCloud drive checked.
When I look at the various categories in iCloud.com they've got zero content, and if I add iCloud Drive to my Finder sidebar and click on it, as expected, it's got zero contents

What "stuff" do you see that you think shouldn't be in there?

The "Home" you see is the same as Home.app, same as those other items relate to their equivalent Mac apps.

If for absolutely no other reason, everyone should have an Apple ID to make store appointments.

plantsower #56269 09/26/20 06:57 PM

I didn't know I could do things like that in preview! How do I open preview in a blank screen and then screen shot in preview? I can only seem to open preview if I have a pdf or something already downloaded to it.
If you double-click on a screenshot it will open in Preview. I can't say "all" for sure, but many different types of images open in Preview.

Once you're in Preview you can delete as I did with no further ado, but if you look under Tools > Annotate you'll find lots of useful options.

artie505 #56270 09/26/20 08:02 PM
OP Offline

iCloud shows two folders. One says documents and is empty. The other says desktop and is full of stuff I keep in a desktop folder, but I never checked iCloud, so I am wondering why it is there. I do have an Apple ID and use it off and on.

When I look at the various categories in iCloud.com they've got zero content, and if I add iCloud Drive to my Finder sidebar and click on it, as expected, it's got zero contents

What "stuff" do you see that you think shouldn't be in there?

The "Home" you see is the same as Home.app, same as those other items relate to their equivalent Mac apps.

If for absolutely no other reason, everyone should have an Apple ID to make store appointments.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard