FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Messages no longer across devices
#56233 09/24/20 07:29 PM
ryck Online OP
OP Online

Messages are arriving at my iPhone 6 but no longer simultaneously arriving at either my iMac or my iPad. I found a couple of sites that took me through setting up all over again but that hasn't changed anything. Do I need to start from ground zero and, if so, does anyone have any good links and/or other guidance?

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
Re: Messages no longer across devices
ryck #56321 09/30/20 06:44 PM
ryck Online OP
OP Online

Any thoughts on this? It's an issue for me....for example, this morning I received a text message with a link for an important online discussion, and it arrived on my iPhone 6. It did not arrive at Messages on my iMac where I would prefer to conduct the meeting.

I just ran a couple of tests.

• Sent a message from my wife's iPad. It arrived on my iPad and the IMac. Not the iPhone.

• Sent a message from my wife's iPhone to my iPhone. It arrived on my iPhone and my iMac. Not my iPad.

Last edited by ryck; 09/30/20 07:09 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #56323 10/01/20 04:13 AM

That happens to me from time to time as well. Usually a reboot of the various devices will solve it.

At least once I've had to toggle the setting on my iPhone for "Text Message Forwarding" under the Message app in Settings.

ryck #56326 10/01/20 04:06 PM

SMS/MMS messaging and device synchronization is not as straight-forward as it may appear and is nowhere near as reliable as IMAP email. Wikipedia has a good article on SMS and the Technical Details in that article might help explain what you are seeing but won't solve the problem. The situation is pretty well summed up in the following quote from that article.

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Unreliability

Unlike dedicated texting systems like the Simple Network Paging Protocol and Motorola's ReFLEX protocol, SMS message delivery is not guaranteed, and many implementations provide no mechanism through which a sender can determine whether an SMS message has been delivered in a timely manner. SMS messages are generally treated as lower-priority traffic than voice, and various studies have shown that around 1% to 5% of messages are lost entirely, even during normal operation conditions, and others may not be delivered until long after their relevance has passed. The use of SMS as an emergency notification service in particular has been questioned.

If you limit texting to Apple devices using iMessage (the address is an Apple ID rather than a telephone number) both reliability and security should be significantly better.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard