FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Logitech wireless mice disappointing
#56134 09/11/20 12:25 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

I have an old corded Logitech MX 510 is phenomenal, lot of buttons to launch apps etc. Terrible customer support though.

Testing new cordless Logitech mice: MX 25, connected Bluetooth on desktop but not laptop. Tried everything even deleted all plist files on laptop, but wont connect to laptop.

Marathon 710 arrived. Wont connect to either laptop or desktop, neither!

And neither of these two seems to have the 3-4 buttons that make the corded one so great. MX 25 is also heavy in comparison.

One more is coming, so far disappointing.

Is the Apple magic mouse is better than one comes with apple computers? The basic white one I have from Apple connect great, but does not even seem to have right click.

Re: Logitech wireless mice disappointing
kevs #56138 09/11/20 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by kevs
The basic white one I have from Apple connect great, but does not even seem to have right click.
Did you adjust the settings in System Preferences > Mouse?

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
kevs #56139 09/11/20 12:19 PM

The basic white one I have from Apple connect great, but does not even seem to have right click.
In Mouse preferences, you have to check the box for Secondary click on right side.

iMac (19,1, 3.1 GHz i5, 12.7.4, 40 Gb RAM); MacBook Air (1.8 Ghz, 8 Gb RAM, 10.14.6, 256 Gb SSD) Vodafone router and Devolo Wi-Fi Extender, Canon TS8351 printer/scanner.
kevs #56140 09/11/20 02:10 PM

I'm not a fan of Logitech either. Have a great bluetooth mouse, M557. Logitech won't update the software so can't use any of the buttons. They told me to buy a new one. Won't ever buy Logitech again.

kevs #56141 09/11/20 02:11 PM

The batteries will inevitably make a cordless mouse heavier than a corded model, it is unavoidable.

The Apple Magic mouse does not have physical buttons but it does have logical buttons and gestures. There are third party apps that can expand on those.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
kevs #56143 09/11/20 05:35 PM

Is the Apple magic mouse is better than one comes with apple computers? The basic white one I have from Apple connect great, but does not even seem to have right click.

If the standard Magic Mouse, or even regular Apple mouse doesn't offer enough features for you, take a look at Better Touch Tool. It can greatly expand and customize Actions and gestures from the keyboard, Magic Mouse, Normal Mouse, Trackpad, Touch bar, even the Siri Remote.

DISCLAIMER: I have no relationship, pecuniary or otherwise, with BTT other than being a satisfied customer.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #56148 09/11/20 07:12 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks all update. Jon, did not touch settings mouse. I don't think that is relevant for logitch.

Freelance, I don't see secondary click on right side. I'm on Catalina.

Update:

The 3rd final one to come in: Anywhere 2S does work with both laptop and desktop; so I may keep this and finally go cordless. I guess for those buttons to work one needs to download their software?

The more robust MX master 2S still wont work connect with laptop but does with desktop. I may keep it for desktop only for the horizontal scroll which is cool with Excel files

Pity the Marothon 705 still wont work with either. Has nice size, but wont work, Only one with removable battery stystem. They provide 2 duracells and I've tested them and good batteries, I even tested with brand new duracells still wont connect. Oddly, not sure relasted, I swith that one one, green light come on and then goes off in 10 seconds. Baffling.

Thanks Joe, i'm lost on gestures etc, I so used to great logitech button that do stuff, a 3rd party app can take a gesture and launch an app ? Hard to get head around.. Have used better touch tool to launch apps? Again, if I don't feel button hard for me to understand how an app will launch..

kevs #56157 09/12/20 01:55 PM

Thanks Joe, i'm lost on gestures etc, I so used to great logitech button that do stuff, a 3rd party app can take a gesture and launch an app ? Hard to get head around.. Have used better touch tool to launch apps? Again, if I don't feel button hard for me to understand how an app will launch..
Remember that a gesture may be many different things, but in the end they are simply signals to MacOS. A gesture can be as simple as a two-finger double tap on a Magic Mouse, or a one finger upper right to lower left swipe on a Trackpad. After a gesture is recognized, it is easy to launch a particular Application, AppleScript, JavaScript, workflow, or command line action and a world of possibilities opens up.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #56159 09/12/20 02:35 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Joe, you have never used Logitech? They seems to have the best design for mice, way better than Apple.

Oddly, they removed two buttons from the new wireless, so my old corded is still king of comfort and buttons, mx500. I may keep it for now.

I have adjusted to the magic keyboard. Still does not type as easy as the old white G5 keyboards, but way easier to clean and one less cord is great.

Pity Logitech removed buttons.

I suppose I could get used to Apple mice? So with them instead of a button, you just tap / swipe up and launch apps.. Do you know how many "launches" it offers?

But then no vertical scroll wheel at all like on Logitech?

kevs #56160 09/12/20 11:50 PM

Joe, you have never used Logitech? They seems to have the best design for mice, way better than Apple.

I did use Logitech but in those days they used a proprietary wireless technology instead of bluetooth and you had to use their drivers which didn't always stay in sync with the MacOS upgrades. Then Apple came out with the Magic Mouse, Magic Keyboard, and to me the best of all the Magic Trackpad. I have never looked back.

Originally Posted by keys
I suppose I could get used to Apple mice? So with them instead of a button, you just tap / swipe up and launch apps.. Do you know how many "launches" it offers?

But then no vertical scroll wheel at all like on Logitech?

The Apple mouse does not offer any "launches" per. se., but there are other apps such as Better Touch Tool that can interpret mouse gestures to launch apps. The top of the Magic Mouse is essentially a trackpad. Instead of left and right buttons you just press the left front or right front of the MM. Instead of a scroll wheel you simply swipe a finger forward and backward or left and right on the MM's surface. No buttons, balls, or wheels are needed.

I have a Magic Mouse that I use occasionally for precision work. But my workhorse is a Magic Trackpad, which is much larger than the trackpad on a MacBook, and has a much wider range of clicks, taps, Force clicks, and gestures than any mouse or other pointing device I have ever used. It took a while to become accustomed to all of the options and my hand always staying in the same place with only my fingers doing all the work. But, after using the Magic Trackpad, a mouse or trackball feels very limited and constraining. Besides that, there isn't enough room on my desk to be mousing around. 🐀

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #56162 09/13/20 12:09 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Joe well you talked me into magic keyboard and it's been great.

But magic trackpad looks huge, but ok.. You do clicks, everything is just finger moving around? So different than mouse feel no?

And it will do everything my 8 button Logitech with that software probably

I wonder if you buy a pen and relace my Intuios
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod..._creative_pen_tablet.html?ap=y&smp=y

kevs #56166 09/13/20 02:40 PM

But magic trackpad looks huge, but ok.. You do clicks, everything is just finger moving around? So different than mouse feel no?

It is large, but the size allows for better discrimination. My wrist is planted at the bottom of the trackpad and all the movement is in the fingers so you are correct in saying the feeling is very different than that of a mouse. As I said previously it takes some getting used to, but now going back to a mouse feels as if I am handcuffed.

And it will do everything my 8 button Logitech with that software probably

I don't know everything you do with all 8 buttons, but with the proper setup, I venture Better Touch Tool can do far more than the 8 buttons. It can program the trackpad, mouse, and keyboard shortcuts.

I wish, but Sadly NO. There simply is no replacement for a good drawing tablet. The closest I have found is the Apple Pen and an 11" iPad Pro. (it took three tries to find a screen cover that adds just the right amount of drag for the Apple Pencil tip. However, Scribble in iPadOS 14 does a credible job of transmuting my poor handwriting into searchable text and my rough drawings do get converted into straight or appropriately curved lines.)

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #56167 09/13/20 04:02 PM

I realized I might be over-selling Better Touch Tool's capabilities. Before you make any changes or spend any money I urge you to take a look at the BTT Documentation to get a feeling for the app. Note too, that for some gesture options it may be necessary to disable a built-in actions. This is also true with the Keyboard shortcuts.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #56170 09/13/20 07:03 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

thanks Joe, I'm retuning all wireless Logitech and staying with my great corded one, and I can buy used ones for backup but... I do know getting the magic keyboard was great. I'm adjusted... so...

You would not get the advance magic mouse, go straight to trackpack:

1- again seems to odd using fingers all day long, you must say the mouse is more comfortable, but you like tradeoffs?
2- Wouldn't even with BTT, not having precise buttons I get a lot of false app launches?

All my buttons do: back, forward, left right click: and lauch Chrome, Mail, Word, and my favorite, clear desktop with mission control-- thats it.

kevs #56172 09/13/20 07:20 PM

It is TrackPAD not trackpack. It will be a significant change but as long as you have a wired mouse you can use if you absolutely have to, why spend the money for a Magic Mouse AND a Magic Trackpad? Neither is particularly cheap.

1- again seems to odd using fingers all day long, you must say the mouse is more comfortable, but you like tradeoffs?
2- Wouldn't even with BTT, not having precise buttons I get a lot of false app launches?

1. Actually it is better and sginificantly less likely to agravate carpal tunnel syndrome.
2. There are enough options in BTT that if I have too many false launches I can easily find an alternate trigger.

All my buttons do: back, forward, left right click: and lauch Chrome, Mail, Word, and my favorite, clear desktop with mission control-- thats it.

Easy-peasey to replicate that.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #56178 09/14/20 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by joemikeb

It is TrackPAD not trackpack. It will be a significant change but as long as you have a wired mouse you can use if you absolutely have to, why spend the money for a Magic Mouse AND a Magic Trackpad? Neither is particularly cheap.

1. Actually it is better and sginificantly less likely to agravate carpal tunnel syndrome.
2. There are enough options in BTT that if I have too many false launches I can easily find an alternate trigger.

Easy-peasey to replicate that.

This is the Chinese Restaurant/Bagel/Cheesecake Syndrome: everyone has a favorite that they swear by, that is the unbelievable best. But other people, when they try the choice, are disappointed and prefer their own. wink

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #56179 09/14/20 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Ira L
This is the Chinese Restaurant/Bagel/Cheesecake Syndrome: everyone has a favorite that they swear by, that is the unbelievable best. But other people, when they try the choice, are disappointed and prefer their own. wink

But, if you haven't tried Peking Duck, how do you know whether you like it or not❓ 😜

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #56181 09/15/20 12:41 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

"why spend the money for a Magic Mouse AND a Magic Trackpad"

What I was saying Joe, is that you would not even bother testing the magic mouse, you liked the Trackpad way more? Because has more room or options?

Would you recommend wait for version 3 to come out?

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard