Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Curious slowness-limited to one account
artie505 #56327 10/01/20 06:22 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Not out of the woods yet, although I believe the issue may now be different. With all of the stuff done to date, I was back to normal speeds in my account. My wife’s account had remained okay throughout.

This morning I opened to an excruciatingly slow iMac….and I mean slow. Logging in took forever, application loading was like molasses in January….well, you get the picture. Since it seemed so widespread, I checked my wife’s account and it had now become just as slow.

After several frustrating failures at fixing I got OnyX out and ran these maintenance functions:

Rebuild:
Launch Services
dyld’s shared cache
XPC cache
CoreDuet database
Mail’s index
Clean:
System
• Boot cache
• Kernel and extensions cache
• Components cache
• Applications cache
Internet:
• DNS cache
• Browser cache
• Download cache
• Browser history
Log messages and reports
• Application logs
• System archived logs
•Diagnostic reports
Misc Options:
Maintenance scripts
Fonts cache
Junk items
Recent items
Trash
I also ran a File System Verification and it was okay.

The OnyX maintenance functions improved things quite a bit but not back to where they were. Then I checked my Mail Junk box and found 7 or 8 junk items. Note: I normally never get junk mail but I and my wife have been getting a lot since we went to a site that was suggested in a DuckDuckGo Privacy Mythbusting email.

The message was: “In 2013, Microsoft security research Troy Hunt built the site Have I Been Pwned? that allows you to check if your password has ever been leaked.” Note: Based on the coincidence of an influx of junk after going there, I am NOT suggesting anyone use the site.

Would I be right to assume that the junk loaded into my Mail could be a cause of the new slowdown?

Last edited by ryck; 10/01/20 06:38 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #56328 10/01/20 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by ryck
Then I checked my Mail Junk box and found 7 or 8 junk items. Note: I normally never get junk mail but I and my wife have been getting a lot since we went to a site that was suggested in a DuckDuckGo Privacy Mythbusting email.

The message was: “In 2013, Microsoft security research Troy Hunt built the site Have I Been Pwned? that allows you to check if your password has ever been leaked.” Note: Based on the coincidence of an influx of junk after going there, I am NOT suggesting anyone use the site.

Would I be right to assume that the junk loaded into my Mail could be a cause of the new slowdown?
I currently have 53 junk emails in my spam folder that have accumulated in the past five hours.

The Troy Hunt web site is widely known and the code base used has been released into open source so there would be little profit incentive in selling user information. In fact you could download the code, compile it, and run it entirely on your computer. So your influx of spam may be entirely coincidental.

I use 1Password 7 password manager and among other features it tracks websites I have passwords to and flags sites I use then they suffer a data breach. It also tracks sites where I have re-used a password so if any one site has a data breach, I know any and all the sites where I have used that password and need to change them. It took a lot of nagging from 1Password and a long time changing all the sites where I had used duplicate passwords, but as of now every protected site I visit has a unique password.

Unless you have opened a message containing a very sophisticated exploit targeting MacOS I would not ASSUME your junk mail to be a probable cause of your slowdown. Some things you might try to reassure yourself would be..
  • Download and run the free MalwareBytes to see if any malware is found NOTE: the paid version of MalwareBytes has the added advantage of automatic updates and scans.
  • Run the OOKLA internet speed test to see if your internet connection is running as fast as it should. If not contact your ISP as they are the likely source of the slowdown.
  • Download and run the free Etrecheck to see what, if any, problems it might identify. NOTE: Etrecheck Pro (the paid version) is more informative and IMHO helpful, but it is not free.

Last edited by joemikeb; 10/01/20 09:55 PM. Reason: Notes

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #56329 10/02/20 01:00 AM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted by joemikeb
The Troy Hunt web site is widely known and the code base used has been released into open source so there would be little profit incentive in selling user information.
I didn’t mean to suggest anything nefarious on the part of the site. My concern was more along the lines that the site may have been compromised and someone is harvesting email addresses there.
I use 1Password 7 password manager and among other features it tracks websites I have passwords to and flags sites I use then they suffer a data breach. It also tracks sites where I have re-used a password so if any one site has a data breach…
I’m still using the old and reliable Passwords Plus although thinking I may need to change to something more current. I don’t re-use passwords and, on particularly critical sites (finance et cetera), I change them every six months or so.
Some things you might try to reassure yourself would be..
  • Download and run the free MalwareBytes to see if any malware is found NOTE: the paid version of MalwareBytes has the added advantage of automatic updates and scans.
    Malware Bytes didn’t find anything.
  • Run the OOKLA internet speed test to see if your internet connection is running as fast as it should. If not contact your ISP as they are the likely source of the slowdown.
    Down was 333.32 Mbps and Up was 333.12 Mbps
  • Download and run the free Etrecheck to see what, if any, problems it might identify. NOTE: Etrecheck Pro (the paid version) is more informative and IMHO helpful, but it is not free.
    I have Etrechek Pro and have got a report. At first glance it doesn’t identify any major issues but there’s a lot of other stuff in the report that I don’t understand but which appears ominous. For example 10 crashes in one week of:
    Application: tccd
    Executable: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/TCC.framework/Versions/A/Resources/tccd
    Details: *** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInvalidArgumentException', reason: '*** -[NSFileManager fileSystemRepresentationWithPath:]: nil or empty path argument'
    abort() called terminating with uncaught exception of type NSException

Last edited by ryck; 10/02/20 01:02 AM.

ryck

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #56336 10/02/20 04:52 PM

Malware Bytes didn’t find anything.
So your fear of malware infection is unfounded. 👍
Down was 333.32 Mbps and Up was 333.12 Mbps
You can't get any better than that so your network connection is excellent. 👍
Application: tccd
Executable: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/TCC.framework/Versions/A/Resources/tccd
Details: *** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInvalidArgumentException', reason: '*** -[NSFileManager fileSystemRepresentationWithPath:]: nil or empty path argument'
abort() called terminating with uncaught exception of type NSException
That is telling you that TCC (Transparency Command and Control), a security feature, was terminated because of an error in the "call" requesting the system service. Basically a coding error on the part of a developer. This type of error is not uncommon and generally not a major concern. Significant crashes will bring up a notification and the crash log will be automatically sent to Apple for analysis and eventual resolution. As far as your presenting question goes, this is more of a distraction than an indication of the problem nature.

Since you have Etrecheck Pro...
  • NOTE in Etrecheck Pro any time you see an About... button it is worth looking at to find out what Etrecheck is doing and to inform you on how to weight the results.
  • Were any Major Issues found? If so what were they?
  • Were any Minor Issues found? I would be very surprised if there weren't some minor issues Heavy RAM usage or Heavy CPU usage are informative.
  • In the Etrecheck sidebar scroll down and click on Performance (stopwatch icon) and you will see something like this. What is the performance rating? NOTE: Clicking on About will explain how the performance rating is caculated.
  • If the performance rating is anything other than Excellent, or good if you have an HD or Fusion Drive, scroll the window down a bit and under Analytics > Detailed Analytics available click on Show. This will take a few minutes to complete, but when it does you will see something like this that shows performance over three days. Mousing over the graphs will reveal the top processes at any point in time. (IMHO vastly superior to keeping Activity Monitor on the desktop and trying to watch it while you work 😉)

Hopefully this will..
  1. Reveal whether or not a problem exists.
  2. Hopefully point to the cause of an existing problem

Last edited by joemikeb; 10/02/20 04:55 PM. Reason: failed spellcheck

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #56351 10/03/20 08:47 AM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Major issues - None were found.

Minor Issues – Some found. Etrechek reported that they do not need immediate attention but they may indicate future problems or opportunities for improvement. The issues were:

Apps crashing - There have been numerous app crashes.
Unsigned files - There are unsigned software files installed. Apple has said that unsigned software will not run by default in a future version of the operating system.

Note: I took a quick look and there are 9 Unsigned Files (called Launched Files) with various statuses like Loaded, Not Loaded, Other, but all say “Exact match found in the legitimate list - probably OK“. There are also 212 unsigned apps, many of which are repeated. For example, three Sophos Anti-Virus, a program I once tried but thought was deleted from the drive.

System modifications - There are a large number of system modifications running in the background.
32-bit Apps - This computer has 32-bits apps will not work on current versions of the operating system.
Kernel extensions present - This computer has kernel extensions that may not work in the future.

Performance was Good. I have a fusion drive.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #56358 10/03/20 11:51 PM

Major issues - None were found.

👏

Minor Issues – Some found. Etrechek reported that they do not need immediate attention but they may indicate future problems or opportunities for improvement. The issues were:

Apps crashing - There have been numerous app crashes.
Unsigned files - There are unsigned software files installed. Apple has said that unsigned software will not run by default in a future version of the operating system.

Note: I took a quick look and there are 9 Unsigned Files (called Launched Files) with various statuses like Loaded, Not Loaded, Other, but all say “Exact match found in the legitimate list - probably OK“. There are also 212 unsigned apps, many of which are repeated. For example, three Sophos Anti-Virus, a program I once tried but thought was deleted from the drive.

System modifications - There are a large number of system modifications running in the background.
32-bit Apps - This computer has 32-bits apps will not work on current versions of the operating system.
Kernel extensions present - This computer has kernel extensions that may not work in the future.

🤷‍♂️ We all have unsigned files but that will have to be corrrected by the app developers. All we can do is lean on developers to get them signed, or replace the apps. Your 32 bit apps need to be replaced as they are dead weight. As far as the kernel extensions, the future is only a month or so away with the official release of macOS 11 (Big Sur) and yes I have some of those extensions and they do not work in Big Sur so the apps are useless until the developers release the new versions. But there is nothing in youyr minor issues that would effect performance.

Performance was Good. I have a fusion drive.

If you look at the details of Etrechecks performance ratings Good is the highest rating possible with a fusion drive. Since the detailed analytics show performance over a 72 hour period or longer you might see some CPU or RAM spikes there that could explain some of your performance variations, but it doesn't appear there is any consistent performance hit. So it appears you are in good shape. 👨🏻‍💻

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #56435 10/10/20 08:23 AM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

So it appears you are in good shape. 👨🏻‍💻
Or not. Things have since gone back to where they were, so I have booted into the Recovery Disk and am currently reinstalling the OS.

Update: New system installation complete and apps are opening in short order. However, the Safari opening page is back to the dozen Top Siites, not the elaborate mini Top Site layouts that appeared after the last update. Currently "About this Mac" says Safari 12.1.2 and OS Mojave 10:14.6. I did a quick search for the latest Safari and found this interesting bit of information.

So, I'm going to leave well enough alone and go back to bed. We'll see what I awaken to.

Last edited by ryck; 10/10/20 03:38 PM. Reason: Correct terminology

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #56438 10/10/20 04:04 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

So, I'm going to leave well enough alone and go back to bed. We'll see what I awaken to.

Everything continues to work as it should, so I going to assume that I was done in by the Safari update(s)....a good reminder to wait until updates have been around for a while, and proven to be okay, before installing. One bit of sidebar information for those who might have followed this link:

The site (MacRumors) put a cookie on my drive that my "Cookie" software didn't purge, even after a few tries. I had to go to Safari>Preferences>Manage Website Data to get rid of it.

Last edited by ryck; 10/10/20 04:06 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #56439 10/10/20 04:10 PM

The site (MacRumors) put a cookie on my drive that my "Cookie" software didn't purge, even after a few tries. I had to go to Safari>Preferences>Manage Website Data to get rid of it.
If you pay close attention to that "Manage..." pane you'll see that there are MANY cookies that Cookie doesn't clear; they're called "session cookies" and can only be cleared as you did or by quitting Safari.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #56440 10/10/20 04:27 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted by artie505
If you pay close attention to that "Manage..." pane you'll see that there are MANY cookies that Cookie doesn't clear; they're called "session cookies" and can only be cleared as you did or by quitting Safari.
But quitting Safari did not clear the cookie even after several consecutive tries. i.e. quit Safari, load Safari, quit Safari, load Safari, quit Safari, load Safari....

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #56441 10/10/20 04:30 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Everything continues to work as it should, so I going to assume that I was done in by the Safari update(s)....
One question remains, although it's not critical if no one has the answer. Why was the slowness limited to one account (mine - the Administrator) without affecting other Users?

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #56442 10/10/20 04:51 PM

But quitting Safari did not clear the cookie even after several consecutive tries. i.e. quit Safari, load Safari, quit Safari, load Safari, quit Safari, load Safari....
Yeah, I've run across occasional cookies like that...caches too.

They're getting more and more insidious! mad

And lately, I've found a new class of items in the "Manage..." pane that Cookie doesn't clear that are totally unidentified...apparently neither cookies nor cache nor local storage. (Cookie's developer doesn't even know what they are.)

In truth, Cookie is becoming less and less functional, and at this point, its main purpose in my life is to perpetuate my favorites. (You may be interested in my review of Cookie here.)

Last edited by artie505; 10/11/20 01:13 AM. Reason: Add link

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #56460 10/11/20 01:59 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

In truth, Cookie is becoming less and less functional, and at this point, its main purpose in my life is to perpetuate my favorites. (You may be interested in my review of Cookie here.)
Recalling the MacRumors cookie that Cookie could not remove, your link has me confused and I wonder if the link is now dated. In it, you take fault with the fact that Cookie was removing HSTS cookies, which are a security feature. However, I distinctly recall that the MacRumors cookie which couldn't be removed by Cookie, was an HSTS cookie. Has the Cookie Developer fixed the issue you identified?

Last edited by ryck; 10/11/20 02:00 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #56468 10/11/20 06:40 PM

My comments:
  1. I have used Cookie so long, I had almost forgotten I had it until I installed Big Sur...
  2. Cookie is currently unusable in Big Sur.
  3. This Sophos article details how Safari retains the security features of HSTS cookies but prevents their abuse as tracking cookies.
  4. I wish there were a better program for managing cookies if for no other reason than there are so 🤬 many of them and they accumulate so quickly.

— Albert Einstein
ryck #56496 10/13/20 06:30 AM

Recalling the MacRumors cookie that Cookie could not remove, your link has me confused and I wonder if the link is now dated. In it, you take fault with the fact that Cookie was removing HSTS cookies, which are a security feature. However, I distinctly recall that the MacRumors cookie which couldn't be removed by Cookie, was an HSTS cookie. Has the Cookie Developer fixed the issue you identified?
Let's see if I can make this concise.

First, HSTS prevents "man in the middle" attacks by ensuring that access to subscribing websites is via a secure, i.e. https, connection.

Second, your MacRumors item wasn't identified as a cookie; it was identified as "HSTS Policy."

I've got no idea when HSTS was first implemented, but in January or so, Safari > Prefs > Privacy > Manage... began displaying "HSTS Policy" items, and I and others asked Russell (Cookie's developer) if something could be done about them, because they were persistent, being cleared by neither Cookie nor quitting Safari, and really cluttered up "Manage..." with useless information.

My thinking, and, I"ll guess, that of others was that the items could be cleared on a site by site basis.

That turned out to be wishful thinking, though, because the items are sourced from ~/Library/Cookies/HSTS.plist, which can be cleared only in its entirety, and that's what Russell fixed Cookie to do...whenever it clears cache.

The plist (around 900 listed websites when I became aware of it, and now close to 5,000) is recreated the first time you visit a site that's opted in to HSTS, but that initial connection is unprotected, and the fact that users are neither advised that a security feature has been compromised nor offered a means to fix it is worthy of concern.

At some point, Apple fixed Safari so HSTS Policy items are no longer displayed, and thereby made Russell's "fix" pointless, but he either doesn't pay enough attention to Safari to know or doesn't care to "waste [his] time" (because no-one other than me has requested it) undoing it.

joemikeb #56497 10/13/20 06:58 AM

My comments:
  1. I have used Cookie so long, I had almost forgotten I had it until I installed Big Sur...
  2. Cookie is currently unusable in Big Sur.
  3. This Sophos article details how Safari retains the security features of HSTS cookies but prevents their abuse as tracking cookies.
  4. I wish there were a better program for managing cookies if for no other reason than there are so 🤬 many of them and they accumulate so quickly.
As far as I know, Cookie is the only cookie manager available since Cookie Stumbler went "unsupported" in 2016, and in my opinion, its uniqueness, not its functionality, is what supports, but doesn't justify, its $20 price.

Have you ever looked in your "Manage..." pane after an extended browsing session during which you had Cookie set to remove non-favorites and trackers, and to clear cache?

In theory, and maybe even indeed, that pane would have been devoid of all entries but your favorite cookies and their appurtenances when Cookie was first debuted, but at today's date, it's littered with non-favorites, local storage items, and caches, with Russel's explanation being that because they're "session items" or for some other reason, Cookie is unable to touch them.

I can't fault Cookie for not doing what it can't do, but what it can't do is making it less and less effective at its job, because the number of items it can't touch is growing, not shrinking.

I've got no reason to doubt that Cookie is doing the best job possible, and that unfortunately leaves us with no hope for a better program. frown

At this point, the only part of Cookie's functionality that I would mind losing is its ability to save my favorites when I quit Safari.

artie505 #56500 10/13/20 08:44 AM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Let's see if I can make this concise......et cetera.
Thanks for the clarity. The concise version was just fine.

Last edited by ryck; 10/13/20 08:45 AM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
artie505 #56503 10/13/20 05:08 PM

As far as I know, Cookie is the only cookie manager available since Cookie Stumbler went "unsupported" in 2016, and in my opinion, its uniqueness, not its functionality, is what supports, but doesn't justify, its $20 price.

I can't fault Cookie for not doing what it can't do, but what it can't do is making it less and less effective at its job, because the number of items it can't touch is growing, not shrinking.

I've got no reason to doubt that Cookie is doing the best job possible, and that unfortunately leaves us with no hope for a better program. frown
Let's face it, there is BIG $ € ¥ £ to be made in tracking internet usage, and when we shut down tracking cookies, the marketers are simply going to find another way to do the job. The existing systems were not designed for securing but sharing information so security and privacy are always an afterthought. To be really secure would require a total redesign of the internet from the bottom up which would be close to impossible given the size and inertia of the existing system and since that would wipe out the financial support of much of the internet content, who would pay for it?

Sadly I have let Cookie go and I am depending on Little Snitch's Big Sur beta to block unwanted outgoing traffic, but In my head I know that much of the tracking etc. is still being carried on legitimate approved data packets that I am sending voluntarily. 😢 I find I am using VPN more, and while I have TOR I don't use it because too many sites will not even work if all of its security features are enabled. This is a battle to be fought but never won or lost.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #56516 10/14/20 07:49 AM

Sadly I have let Cookie go and I am depending on Little Snitch's Big Sur beta to block unwanted outgoing traffic, but In my head I know that much of the tracking etc. is still being carried on legitimate approved data packets that I am sending voluntarily. 😢 I find I am using VPN more, and while I have TOR I don't use it because too many sites will not even work if all of its security features are enabled. This is a battle to be fought but never won or lost.
I'm not at all certain that we're not losing the battle. frown mad

I tried Little Snitch 4 in demo mode, but I never upgraded, because I found it almost impossible to use, and because I felt that rather than the upgrade price being justified by upgraded functionality, it was merely based on unnecessary eye candy and bells & whistles.

I'll ride Cookie for as long as it's got wheels if for no reason other than that it perpetuates my favorites. I wouldn't spring for $20 were I a new user. I've got no idea why it's not Big Sur compatible, and I hope Russell is able to overcome whatever issues are preventing it.

Worst case scenario, I"ll do Cookie's job by hand. It's not that big a deal. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

artie505 #56529 10/15/20 12:03 PM

And speaking of the devil, I just looked at my Manage... pane and found this!

The blue items were identified as caches as recently as yesterday, I believe, and today, some are NOT cleared by ⌘-⌥-E.

It takes quitting Safari to clear them.

artie505 #56530 10/15/20 02:26 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

On my mac, Imgur is just showing a blank black page. This also happened with a link that Ira provided in another thread.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #56533 10/15/20 02:46 PM

Try this one.

If it doesn't work, you may have to open an accont and log in? Imgur has been weird lately.

ryck #56534 10/15/20 05:18 PM

On my mac, Imgur is just showing a blank black page. This also happened with a link that Ira provided in another thread.

The original and subsequent link worked for me. But I have an Imgur account.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #56538 10/15/20 08:58 PM

Like Ira, both links worked for me but I too have an Imgur account.

— Albert Einstein
ryck #56542 10/16/20 12:47 AM

I haven't been able to view any of these imgur links in Safari (13.0.4, High Sierra 10.13.6) for at least a couple of months now. I get the black screen, too. Occasionally, mousing over some random spot will produce a brief flash of content which immediately disappears again. I've messed around with various settings to no avail.

I don't think it's related to having an account or not, because the images display as expected in Firefox.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard