for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: FineTunedMac upgrade
tacit #55854 08/31/20 01:55 AM

Small point, compared to some of the other observations, but I really like that the "Back to the top" button remains fixed - rather than having to be at the bottom of the page.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #55855 08/31/20 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by ryck
Small point, compared to some of the other observations, but I really like that the "Back to the top" button remains fixed - rather than having to be at the bottom of the page.

I just tried it for the first time ever, and it's slower than command-up arrow, which I've always used. (It also requires mousing, which I hate.)

Since we're on small points, the narrower Threads and Posts columns on the Forums page are disconcerting, but the numbers being top justified, not centered as they used to be, really puts me off.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #55856 08/31/20 10:59 AM

And I just noticed that the FTM icon no longer appears in my tab header; it's been replaced by the UBB icon. And FTM has been updated with "Forums powered by UBB.threads" on the Forums page.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #55857 08/31/20 11:57 AM

And I just noticed that my time pref had changed, and I had to change it back.

Nightmare! Until I realized that the drop-down is in time zone order and located "New York" at the appropriate hour of day.

artie505 #55858 08/31/20 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by artie505
And I just noticed that the FTM icon no longer appears in my tab header; it's been replaced by the UBB icon. And FTM has been updated with "Forums powered by UBB.threads" on the Forums page.
I have the FTM icon in the tab header. I'm using ubbthreads finetunedmac as the format.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #55861 08/31/20 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by jchuzi
Originally Posted by artie505
I have the FTM icon in the tab header. I'm using ubbthreads finetunedmac as the format.

I've got the box checked as shown in the top screenshot - here - and I"m seeing the bottom shot.

I haven't changed my settings in forever.

artie505 #55862 08/31/20 03:33 PM

If you click to highlight the full URL, it may then reveal the FTM icon.....at least that's how mine is working with Safari v13.1.2 in Catalina 10.15.6 ----

Just went back into my preferences and checked the same box as you showed in your screen shot and the FTM icon showed up in my tab as expected.

Last edited by MacManiac; 08/31/20 03:35 PM. Reason: edited to add info...

Freedom is never free....thank a Service member today.
MacManiac #55863 08/31/20 05:04 PM

Same OS and version of Safari, and after toggling the pref off, shutting down/starting up, and toggling the pref back on I still see this.

Last edited by artie505; 08/31/20 05:12 PM. Reason: Updated

artie505 #55867 08/31/20 05:45 PM

The only thought that comes to mind on this difference would be to suggest the possibility of a stuck cache entry....the web Icon for UBB is stuck in your cache. How long has it been since you used the Develop pulldown menu to empty the Safari cache? I know that this might not be a preferred action in that it will also clear out all stored logins as well.

Alternatively, have you tried logging in to FTM while using your test account instead of your normal computer login account?

tacit #55868 08/31/20 06:02 PM

Another hidden until you see it option is found at the beginning of any thread, left-hand side, where it says "Thread Options". The little bookmark icon will turn on/off the feature of following the thread; just in case you forgot to uncheck the following default option.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #55869 08/31/20 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Ira L
Another hidden until you see it option is found at the beginning of any thread, left-hand side, where it says "Thread Options". The little bookmark icon will turn on/off the feature of following the thread; just in case you forgot to uncheck the following default option.

Thanks for that! Much easier than editing my Follow List.

And still easier: A followed thread shows an icon in the particular forum's thread listing, and clicking on it gives you a "stop following" option.

Last edited by artie505; 08/31/20 10:25 PM. Reason: Clicking, NOT command-clicking

MacManiac #55873 08/31/20 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by MacManiac
The only thought that comes to mind on this difference would be to suggest the possibility of a stuck cache entry....the web Icon for UBB is stuck in your cache. How long has it been since you used the Develop pulldown menu to empty the Safari cache? I know that this might not be a preferred action in that it will also clear out all stored logins as well.

Alternatively, have you tried logging in to FTM while using your test account instead of your normal computer login account?

I hit command-option-E (as per Develop) multiple times a day (because of a grievous fault in Cookie), and it hasn't solved the problem.

Thanks to your clear thinking, though, I just did a safe boot to take advantage of its additional cache clearing functionality, and the UBB icon was replaced by the FTM icon until I restarted.

I'm not running anything that affects Safari, so I'm at a loss as to what to try next.

More: I've got a vague recollection of the same thing having happened once before, but I haven't got the foggiest idea of how it was corrected.

Last edited by artie505; 08/31/20 10:41 PM. Reason: More

artie505 #55875 08/31/20 10:55 PM

This is a stab in the dark, but is it possible that one or more extensions could be the source of this issue?

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #55876 08/31/20 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by jchuzi
This is a stab in the dark, but is it possible that one or more extensions could be the source of this issue?

Thanks, but without much hope I disabled my extensions and was rewarded with no joy.

artie505 #55877 08/31/20 11:11 PM

When I open a new FTM window I see this, but when I click on either "forum," "login," or "register" the FTM icon changes to the UBB icon.

If I click on "contact," the FTM icon stays put.

artie505 #55880 09/01/20 12:04 AM

A safe boot does not clear all caches. One that is not cleared and could be involved in your problem is the DNS cache. Offhand I don't know of a utility that flushes the DNS cache but the command line used to be
Code
sudo killall -HUP mDNSResponder

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
artie505 #55881 09/01/20 12:40 AM

Alternatively, have you tried logging in to FTM while using your test account instead of your normal computer login account
By this I meant logging into a pristine Admin account.....

Thanks to your clear thinking, though, I just did a safe boot to take advantage of its additional cache clearing functionality, and the UBB icon was replaced by the FTM icon until I restarted.
....this doesn't quite do the same thing as suggested above.....

Inquiring minds want to know.... shocked confused cool

joemikeb #55882 09/01/20 12:46 AM

You can clear the DNS cache with Onyx. Select the Maintenance tab, then select Options in Cleaning.

Jon

joemikeb #55890 09/01/20 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by joemikeb
A safe boot does not clear all caches. One that is not cleared and could be involved in your problem is the DNS cache. Offhand I don't know of a utility that flushes the DNS cache but the command line used to be
Code
sudo killall -HUP mDNSResponder

Thanks, but no joy.

MacManiac #55891 09/01/20 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by MacManiac
Alternatively, have you tried logging in to FTM while using your test account instead of your normal computer login account
By this I meant logging into a pristine Admin account.....

....this doesn't quite do the same thing as suggested above.....

Inquiring minds want to know.... shocked confused cool

Logging in to my test user account is a giant PIA, so I tried the safe boot first.

Granted that a safe boot isn't the same as logging in to a test account, but the situation's having been corrected in safe mode means that the problem is not in my user account, and that I need to start playing with startup items (which is more trouble than I care to go through for such an innocuous problem).

Under any circumstances, though, I logged in to my test account to confirm my diagnosis, and the problem persisted.

joemikeb #55909 09/01/20 09:55 PM

I ran into a similar situation that I believe is in UBB and beyond our ability to fix other than submitting a problem report.

Given the code:
Code
this is a line of text with an embedded list [list=1] [*]item 1 [*]Itme 2 [*]item 3 [/list] another line of text
It renders as
Originally Posted by incorrect
this is a line of text with an embedded list
  1. item 1
  2. Itme 2
  3. item 3
another line of text
change the code to
Code
[list=1] 
[*]item 1 
[*]Itme 2 
[*]item 3 
[/list] another line of text
and it renders correctly as:

Originally Posted by correct
  1. item 1
  2. Itme 2
  3. item 3

another line of text

FWIW The UBBT77 style fits nicely with Big Sur's more "open" look IMO

More experimentation reveals the new UBB goes nuts with nested lists scattering things all over the place. 🤬

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #55918 09/02/20 03:58 PM

Clicking on Forum Help yields
Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<', expecting end of file in /home/fveaux/finetunedmac.com/forums/languages/english/faq.php on line 43

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #55919 09/02/20 04:04 PM

See post #55850 above.

Maybe tacit needs to be notified directly.

Update: I reported it via the tech@ email link as per cyn.

Last edited by artie505; 09/03/20 11:35 AM. Reason: Update

joemikeb #55960 09/03/20 11:15 PM
tacit Offline OP
OP Offline

Clicking on Forum Help yields
Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<', expecting end of file in /home/fveaux/finetunedmac.com/forums/languages/english/faq.php on line 43

That's an actual bug in UBB.threads. I've fixed the bug (help now works properly) and as soon as I'm done here I'm off to the UBB.threads forum to notify them. smile

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
tacit #55968 09/04/20 12:52 AM

Since you're here, I've been wondering if it was your doing or some unknown factor working when FTM's insanely slow loading magically stopped back in May?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard