for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Where's all the data going?
#55561 08/03/20 09:41 PM
OP Offline

When I travel, I tether my MacBook to my iPhone for Internet access. Recently, after being away from home for only three days, I got a text from my service provider stating that they had slowed down my data speed for the remainder of the billing period because I had exceeded 5GB. (I have an unlimited data plan, but they slow things down after 5GB.) I couldn't figure out how I could have downloaded that much data in three days, since I hadn't watched any videos or downloaded any big files. So, I reset the Cellular Data Stats on my phone and then started to keep track of usage. Sure enough, in less than an hour it had racked up 250MB, from casual web surfing: just text, pictures and a bit of streaming audio.

Eventually, I realized that it had nothing to do with my computer. The phone was just racking up data traffic, on its own, for no discernible reason. I reset the Cellular Data Stats once again, with the computer disconnected, and one by one, turned off cellular data access to each of the phone's apps. It was still moving data at the rate of 1MB per minute. The only way I could get it to stop was to turn off main cellular data enable switch. As soon as I'd turn it on again, it would start sending/receiving data again at around 1MB/minute. I tried reseting the phone, with no effect. Any ideas why it would be doing this? It's not costing may anything since I'm on an unlimited data plan, but I'd really like to know what all of this data is for.

MacBook Pro 15" (2015)
Sierra 10.12.6
Re: Where's all the data going?
Bob_00001 #55576 08/04/20 04:06 PM

I can't address the quantity, but an iPhone is always doing something in the background. If your Phone app is open, even in the background, it is broadcasting location info. Other apps may do similar things. Also, anything with GPS involved is a fairly large data suck, as I can attest to when I was traveling and using Maps with no unlimited data plan. crazy

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Bob_00001 #55577 08/04/20 05:42 PM

Phantom data use is a common problem to which there is no quick fix. You must go to each app's settings, one at a time, and check the settings for cellular data access, background app refresh, and location.

My personal rule of thumb is, every app starts off with NO...
  • ...cellular data access
  • ...background app refresh
  • ...location data
Every single deviation from that baseline MUST TO BE JUSTIFIED. Does the app really need cellular data access, or can it wait until you are in a location where WiFi is available? (free WiFi access is becoming almost ubiquitous)Does an app really need to get data in the background or can you wait a few seconds for it to refresh when it moves to the foreground? Does an app need to send or receive location data? when I am using it? All the time? (Do I even want it to be sending location data when I am not using it?) Close attention and fearless decision making can go long way in exorcising phantom data use.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
Bob_00001 #55578 08/04/20 05:48 PM
OP Offline

With cellular data disabled for all the apps, it's still around 1GB/day. The only remaining thing seems to be the operating system itself, which is what I now suspect. The phone has been behaving strangely on occasion, and I suspect there may be some memory corruption. Probably time for a new phone.

Joemikebob, you posted as I was writing my reply. I agree with your rules of thumb. However, I may have inadvertently allowed background app refresh on some apps, and some things that can be done when wifi is available, but as far as I can tell, I've disabled all cellular data from all apps just short of turning off the main cellular data switch. That is, unless there are some other hidden settings not located in the cellular data section.

Last edited by Bob_00001; 08/04/20 05:57 PM.

MacBook Pro 15" (2015)
Sierra 10.12.6
Bob_00001 #55637 08/12/20 01:45 AM
OP Offline

I think I may have solved the problem. I held my breath and installed the latest version of iOS today. The phone is surprisingly well behaved, so far. I've avoided updating iOS after having two bad experiences. My problems began two updates ago. After the second last update, my phone went into endless reboot cycle. I thought it was bricked. But after leaving it powered off for 24 hours, it finally started to work again. The infinite reboot cycle would happen every time I cycled the power or did a reset. When the next iOS update came out, I was hoping that it would fix the problem, but it actually made things worse. There was still the endless reboot cycle, and on top of that, a lot of apps started to act strangely, plus the date and time were often completely wrong. Plus the massive cellular data traffic. I'll have to wait and see if the data traffic problem is fixed.

MacBook Pro 15" (2015)
Sierra 10.12.6

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard