Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: First Look At Big Sur
MartyByrde #57090 11/26/20 04:07 PM
OP Offline

YOU TOO CAN CREATE YOUR OWN CLONE WORKFLOW OR SCRIPT

I finally found the tool to clone bootable Big Sur volumes. Apple Software Restore or asr.
Originally Posted by BSD Systems Manual
ASR(8) BSD System Manager's Manual ASR(8)

NAME
asr -- Apple Software Restore; copy volumes (e.g. from disk images)

SYNOPSIS
asr verb [options]
asr restore[exact] --source source --target target [options]
asr server --source source --config configuration [options]
asr restore --source asr://source --file file [options]
asr imagescan --source image [options]
asr help | version

DESCRIPTION
asr efficiently copies disk images onto volumes, either directly or via a
multicast network stream. asr can also accurately clone volumes without
the use of an intermediate disk image.

<continues at great length>
For full details open Terminal and enter "man asr" without the quotes.

This command is working on Intel Macs but remains a work-in-process for M1 Macs. Personally I will stick to using CCC or possibly TinkerTool System — I don't think i have the patience together a script working right.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
jchuzi #57092 11/26/20 06:06 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted by jchuzi
Apparently, CCC 5.1.23 is not a beta any longer, despite the headline at Yes, you can have bootable backups on macOS Big Sur. When I launched CCC and checked for updates, this new version was listed as available and no mention was made of a beta.

It is no longer a beta, but it cannot successfully create a bootable clone on M1 Macs because the asr command in the M1 version of Big Sur still does not work correctly. It does work on Intel processors however.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #57095 11/26/20 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by joemikeb
Originally Posted by jchuzi
Apparently, CCC 5.1.23 is not a beta any longer, despite the headline at Yes, you can have bootable backups on macOS Big Sur. When I launched CCC and checked for updates, this new version was listed as available and no mention was made of a beta.

It is no longer a beta, but it cannot successfully create a bootable clone on M1 Macs because the asr command in the M1 version of Big Sur still does not work correctly. It does work on Intel processors however.

Yeah, I saw that update on the site https://www.macupdate.com/, which I check frequently for updates. It has not happened yet for SuperDuper!, which is just fine with me. I still have 4 other critical applications that need to be compatible with Big Sur. Besides, Big Sur is still not stable enough yet. And even though V11.1 will be arriving soon, I anticipate that it will still contain bugs/have issues. Meanwhile, I'll continue to use good, old stable and reliable Catalina.

joemikeb #57114 11/28/20 06:43 PM

And now there is a SoftRaid beta that is Big Sur compatible.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
joemikeb #57198 12/06/20 05:04 AM

I'm sure you've seen it, but for the benefit of those who don't run CCC betas, the newest release, and on an ongoing basis, will no longer clone a volume that's backed up by Time Machine. (Rats! Forgot to copy the text.)

Any feelings about why parallel backups are no longer supported? Without a really good reason it doesn't fly in my book, because TM and CCC absolutely do not fulfill the same needs.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #57207 12/06/20 02:08 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted by artie505
the newest release, and on an ongoing basis, will no longer clone a volume that's backed up by Time Machine. (Rats! Forgot to copy the text.)
If you can find that information, I would like to see it. I have looked everywhere and cannot find it. FYI CCC Version 5.1.24-b1 (6130), which I installed yesterday evening, happily backed up/cloned my data volume last night and that volume is most definitely backed up by Time Machine.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #57209 12/06/20 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by artie505
the newest release, and on an ongoing basis, will no longer clone a volume that's backed up by Time Machine. (Rats! Forgot to copy the text.)
If you can find that information, I would like to see it. I have looked everywhere and cannot find it. FYI CCC Version 5.1.24-b1 (6130), which I installed yesterday evening, happily backed up/cloned my data volume last night and that volume is most definitely backed up by Time Machine.
It was in the v 5.1.24-b1 (6130) release notes, which can't be recalled, but which I realized I could recreate by launching an un-updated version in my clone.
Originally Posted by CCC
CHANGED: Time Machine backup volumes are now explicitly disallowed as source or destination selections on Big Sur. We're not planning to offer support for cloning to or from volumes that are flagged as Time Machine volumes.
Rereading it now, though, I think I may have misunderstood it, because not being a Time Machine maven, it never occurred to me that you could clone either to or from a TM backup.

Clarification please.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #57213 12/06/20 05:56 PM
OP Offline

Time Machine backup volumes are now explicitly disallowed as source or destination selections on Big Sur. We're not planning to offer support for cloning to or from volumes that are [s]flagged as used for Time Machine volumes backups.
Does that edit of Mike's statement clarify the meaning of his statement? That is what I heard when I read it. There are sound reasons for that change...
  • Apple has always recommended that any drive, partition, volume used to store Time Machine backups be dedicated for that sole purpose.
  • If more than one computer uses the same Time Machine backup drive, each computer's backup data set will be contained in a separate sparse disk image.
  • with the advent of APFS Time Machine backups have begun storing changes as APFS snapshots which could make cloned Time Machine volumes tricky and perhaps unreliable
  • add encryption to the data set and the chance for error increases geometrically.
  • Why should CCC reinvent Time Machine's wheel? If you want a backup Time Machine data set simply specify each of the drives/volumes in TM as Time Machine volumes and TM will alternate backups to each selected drive/volume. You can even include an off-site Time Machine volume that would automatically be updated when it is connected and TM will nag the user if it goes too long without its being connected.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #57215 12/06/20 08:18 PM

Don't know if this makes any difference, but a second beta release of V11.1 of Big Sur is out:

https://9to5mac.com/2020/12/03/apple-releases-macos-11-1-beta-2/

Last edited by MartyByrde; 12/06/20 08:19 PM.
MartyByrde #57217 12/06/20 08:51 PM
OP Offline

It doesn't

Last edited by joemikeb; 12/06/20 08:52 PM.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #57218 12/06/20 08:53 PM

OK, good to know.

joemikeb #57222 12/07/20 04:15 AM

Time Machine backup volumes are now explicitly disallowed as source or destination selections on Big Sur. We're not planning to offer support for cloning to or from volumes that are [s]flagged as used for Time Machine volumes backups.
Does that edit of Mike's statement clarify the meaning of his statement? That is what I heard when I read it.
I think that clears it up for me. Thanks.

Since I don't run TM, I never knew, nor did it ever occur to me, that TM backups were offered as a sources.

And my confusion was compounded by Mike's use of "volumes" when, if I've understood you, "container" or "partition" would have been appropriate.

So, is my current understanding that CCC will still clone to a separate container/partition on a device that's also got a TM backup container/partition on it correct? (A separate volume in a TM backup container/partition being a no-go.)

Last edited by artie505; 12/07/20 05:10 AM.

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard