for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: First Look At Big Sur
joemikeb #56889 11/14/20 01:19 AM

It appears from reading Apple gives the Mac a giant visual overhaul with macOS Big Sur that Big Sur looks quite different from Catalina and previous. I have never liked having the menu bar to be translucent and have that disabled, but I don't remember how I did it. Is it possible to turn off the translucent "feature" in Big Sur?

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #56891 11/14/20 01:40 AM

I just saw this:

https://tidbits.com/2020/11/13/big-sur-is-here-but-we-suggest-you-say-no-sir-for-now/

There's definitely excellent advice there. Also note that Carbon Copy Cloner has been successful with a beta release of Big Sur, and yesterday I posted that statement by Dave Nanian.

For me, I've always said that I am going to wait until after a release or two of Big Sur comes out. And that will be for my testing of it.. I will remain on Catalina until a compatible version of Tech Tool Pro is released (assuming my other 4 critical apps, including SuperDuper!, already have such versions available).

jchuzi #56896 11/14/20 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by jchuzi
It appears from reading Apple gives the Mac a giant visual overhaul with macOS Big Sur that Big Sur looks quite different from Catalina and previous. I have never liked having the menu bar to be translucent and have that disabled, but I don't remember how I did it. Is it possible to turn off the translucent "feature" in Big Sur?
It's in How to Disable Transparent Menus on Mac, Jon.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #56898 11/14/20 11:55 AM

Thanks, Artie. I had done this before but didn't remember about Accessibility.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #56901 11/14/20 05:56 PM

I also did it at some point in the past, but I've got absolutely no idea how. I don't think Accessibility had anything to do with it, though.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #56902 11/14/20 06:18 PM

If you follow the link that you posted, it shows graphically how to reduce transparency in Big Sur's Accessibility. I looked in the Accessibility pref pane (selected Display and then the Display tab) in my Catalina system and that ability is there too.

Jon

jchuzi #56905 11/14/20 06:29 PM

You beat me to the punch.

I didn't read through the details of the fix. I saw "Accessibility," and my head immediately went to System Prefs > Security & Privacy > Accessibility, which I visit often, rather than to System Prefs > Accessibility, which I haven't looked at in so long that I forgot it existed. blush

joemikeb #56920 11/14/20 10:45 PM
OP Online

Originally Posted by joemikeb
NOTES:
  • If you have used CCC's or Tinkertool Systems Full Clone{/I] you will recognize the process (I believe Super Duper's developer rejected offering that option)
  • The target drive will always be completely erased. You must approve the erasure before CCC will proceed. (I haven't had time find out how that happens with automated clones.)
  • The drives entire volume structure is first copied and then everything else is transferred [i]en mass without regard to files and folders per se. The target becomes a true mirror of the source, warts, winkles, and all.
  • I have no explanation for my initial installation and startup difficulties but I have no reason to believe they represent any issue with CCC and hopefully not with macOS 11.0.1 running on Intel instead of Apple SoC. I will not hesitate to use or rely on CCC in the future and look forward to using it on Apple SoC next week.
  • Obviously I misjudged the priority Apple assigned to cloning.😢

FOLLOWUP

I just installed CCC 5.1.23-b3 (6104) and tested it out. In the process I made some discoveries.
  1. If the Destination drive is BLANK CCC will give you three options that only appear when you actually initiate the cloning process: 1. Erase the destination drive and create a bootable clone (this is the Apple en mass clone I described previously) 2. clone the entire system into a volume on the destination drive 3: clone only the data volume
  2. If there is a bootable system on the destination There are two options offered: 1. Copy All Files (this copies only changed files and results in a bootable system) 2. Copy Some files - bootability not considered
  3. I haven't tested all the permutations yet, but I will get around to it eventually.

Last edited by joemikeb; 11/14/20 10:47 PM.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #56933 11/15/20 09:40 AM

I'm thoroughly confused by your followup, but rather than get into it now, I'll wait 'til I upgrade and can see what's going on in real time.

artie505 #56947 11/15/20 07:52 PM
OP Online

Originally Posted by artie505
I'm thoroughly confused by your followup, but rather than get into it now, I'll wait 'til I upgrade and can see what's going on in real time.
I have had some time to do some more experimentation with the latest version of CCC:
  • If I select an empty Drive, Partition, or Volume as the Destination: this menu appears
  • If I select the option to Erase the destination volume: The Destination is erased and a complete bootable system is cloned using the Apple Replication utility as shown in this screenshot.
  • If I attempt to rerun the same CCC task: it will copy the files that have been changed and Update the support volumes
  • If I select the option to Add a volume to the Destination: A new bootable volume is created with _CCC appended to the volume name. The target drive now looks like this. Note although there are two bootable images there are only one Preboot volume and one Recovery volume. But they both boot equally well.
  • In CCC Version 5.1.23-b3 (6104) the only way I can induce this menu to appear is select a destination that is is either empty or has only data in it.

Kudos to Mike Bombich for working out an elegant solution and an appropriate use of Apple's utility.

WISHLIST: I really wish there were a way to access the options offered for a blank destination for all destinations. Although the work around is simply to erase the destination before

COMMENT AND OPEN QUESTION: Given this is predicated on an Apple command line utility it would seem entirely possible for sophisticated users to create workflows or scripts to do simple clones and since third party utilities like OnyX, TinkerTool System, or MacPilot that are basically GUI front ends for Apple command-line utilities to provide basic cloning options at a much lower price than CCC or SuperDuper can possibly match? That said, even though Time Machine is, and will remain, my premier backup, I will continue to use and support CCC for three reasons:
  1. Set and forget automation
  2. The ability to manage and recover using APFS Snapshots
  3. More complex clone/backup options

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #56948 11/15/20 07:59 PM

I am definitely going to wait until an actual new version of SuperDuper! is released. Do not want to mess with any kind of beta release (so far, Dave has refused to do that, which is a wise move).

Also, on two other Mac discussion sites I visit, plenty of folks are having issues with Big Sur, whether it is 1) downloading it, 2) installing it, 3) using it, or 4) running third party applications. Glad I can just "sit on the sidelines now", and watch and learn.

MartyByrde #56971 11/16/20 11:56 PM
OP Online

TODAY'S UPDATES The following are Big Sur compatible releases
  • TechTool Pro 12 13
  • TinkertoolTool System 7
  • TinkerTool 8
  • MacPilot 11 v12
  • all Rogue Ameaba products now compatible with Big Sur but not compatible with Apple SoC
  • SoftRAID (still in beta)
  • Carbon Copy Cloner (Still in Beta)

Last edited by joemikeb; 11/17/20 05:18 PM. Reason: Correct version number.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #56972 11/17/20 12:25 AM

all Rogue Ameaba products now compatible with Big Sur but not compatible with Apple SoC
Qualification: Rogue Amoeba's Audio Hijack is only initially Big Sur compatible. (Fission is fully compatible.)

Last edited by artie505; 11/17/20 01:11 AM. Reason: Fission

joemikeb #56973 11/17/20 02:10 AM

TODAY'S UPDATES The following are Big Sur compatible releases
  • TechTool Pro 12
  • TinkertoolTool System 7
  • TinkerTool 8
  • MacPilot 11 v12
  • all Rogue Ameaba products now compatible with Big Sur but not compatible with Apple SoC
  • SoftRAID (still in beta)
  • Carbon Copy Cloner (Still in Beta)

Tech Tool Pro 12? This says that the latest version, Tech Tool Pro 13, is not yet compatible:

https://www.micromat.com/products/techtool-pro

Can you amplify regarding 12's compatibility with Big Sur? That would be a surprise.

MartyByrde #56975 11/17/20 05:57 PM
OP Online

Originally Posted by MartyByrde
Tech Tool Pro 12? This says that the latest version, Tech Tool Pro 13, is not yet compatible:

Thanks for catching the typo. I have corrected the original post.

For what it I worth, after being with TechTool pro through 12 versions, I have yet to convince myself, it offers me enough utility to be worth even the $29.95 upgrade price. I had already dropped DiskWarrior and Drive Genius for the same reason vive and three years ago respectively for the same reason and held onto TTP just in case. But there has been no just in case any one of the three utilities would have prevented or recovered from in more than five years.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #56976 11/17/20 06:45 PM

Thanks for catching the typo. I have corrected the original post.

For what it I worth, after being with TechTool pro through 12 versions, I have yet to convince myself, it offers me enough utility to be worth even the $29.95 upgrade price. I had already dropped DiskWarrior and Drive Genius for the same reason vive and three years ago respectively for the same reason and held onto TTP just in case. But there has been no just in case any one of the three utilities would have prevented or recovered from in more than five years.

For me, it's just so handy using its eDrive feature (along with Onyx). And there have been a few times where some of its features did resolve some minor issues I was having.

Given that I rarely, if ever, have issues by 1) doing a lot of disk cleanup on my own, 2) run Onyx and Tech Tool Pro every week, and 3) run SuperDuper! every week (thus keep my Macs "lean, mean, and clean"), I'll continue to use it.

MartyByrde #56980 11/17/20 11:51 PM
OP Online

[For me, it's just so handy using its eDrive feature (along with Onyx). And there have been a few times where some of its features did resolve some minor issues I was having.

Given that I rarely, if ever, have issues by 1) doing a lot of disk cleanup on my own, 2) run Onyx and Tech Tool Pro every week, and 3) run SuperDuper! every week (thus keep my Macs "lean, mean, and clean"), I'll continue to use it.
I’m not suggesting you shouldn’t continue to use TTP, I am simply saying that this morning I looked at th upgrade price and I can no longer justify it.

As far as eDrive goes, I was a big fan when it first came out, until I realized the increasing stability of MacOS had reached the point where the odds of mechanical drive failure were equal to or greater than volume or file corruption and eDrive would not be available in that case. So I switched to ProToGo on a thumb drive and later on a repurposed laptop drive in a bus powered enclosure. Then Apple changed the game and the eDrive or ProToGo would only boot the system it was created on, so Micromat offered a universal boot option by using a copy of the Recovery Drive. If I were going to use the Recovery drive, why did I need to drag around a bootable copy of it on a disk or thumb drive and keep it current? The final nail in eDrive’s coffin for me was, thanks to iCloud, I found I could easily get by with less than half the storage capacity I used to consider minimal, and save $$ on hardware, and thus had little room to spare for an eDrive. But that’s just me, and YMMV 😜

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #56985 11/18/20 01:20 AM

The eDrive takes up very little space, and it is easy to boot into.

As far as the upgrade price is concerned, I don't mind spending $29.95 for the upgrade, as well-developed and supported products are like gold! I did the same for SuperDuper! (only needed to do it 1 time), and still do license renewals for 1Password and ClamXAv. If I were using Carbon Copy Cloner, I would not balk at paying for the upgrades they require to stay current.

Again, excellent software deserves our support. And as I have stated, by performing my own cleaning efforts, and using Onyx and Tech Tool Pro (a proven and winning combination, at least for me), my machines run error free, ie, "lean, mean, and clean".

Finally, your correction about Tech Tool Pro 13 being compatible with Big Sur is still mistaken. It is not compatible yet, as I pointed out with that link above. I suspect the next version, V13.0.2, or V13.1 (whatever they call it), will be compatible.

Last edited by MartyByrde; 11/18/20 01:29 AM.
MartyByrde #56989 11/18/20 03:33 PM
OP Online

Again, excellent software deserves our support.
I couldn't agree more and I have made this point innumerable times over the last forty years.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #57000 11/18/20 09:21 PM
OP Online

CCC BROKEN — AGAIN

After settin up my new M1 Mac mini yesterday, it immediately updated to MacOS 11.0.1 beta 4(?), but everythinhg worked fine on Apple Silicon. This morning I was presented with MacOS 11.1 beta. This afternoon, CCC threw up a banner

CCC 5.1.23-b4 is not qualified on this version of macOS.

and when I checked for updates, I have the latest available version.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #57001 11/18/20 10:21 PM

CCC BROKEN — AGAIN

After settin up my new M1 Mac mini yesterday, it immediately updated to MacOS 11.0.1 beta 4(?), but everythinhg worked fine on Apple Silicon. This morning I was presented with MacOS 11.1 beta. This afternoon, CCC threw up a banner

CCC 5.1.23-b4 is not qualified on this version of macOS.

and when I checked for updates, I have the latest available version.

Another beta version of Big Sur? Thought we were past the betas, although a beta version prior to the next release could make sense. But happening so fast after the initial, non-beta release?

Man, they way this whole Big Sur process is going, I wonder if January is a realistic date for me to make the move! That is when I was expecting Tech Tool Pro to have a compatible version ready. Of course, that assumed that Onyx, Thunderbird, LibreOffice, and SuperDuper! would be already compatible by then. Now I'm having my doubts.

Last edited by MartyByrde; 11/18/20 11:13 PM.
joemikeb #57003 11/19/20 12:17 AM

V 5.1.23-b5 (6112) is available.

New
CCC can now make bootable backups of a Big Sur startup disk (on Intel-based Macs; see below about the new M1 Macs). In macOS 11.0.1, Apple addressed some of the problems with its APFS replication utility that rendered clones of the System volume non-bootable. If you have an existing backup task that's configured for a Data Volume backup, simply click on the Source selector and choose "Choose a different source", then select your Big Sur startup disk as the source to the task.

New
This build of CCC is a "Universal binary" that will run natively on Apple's new M1 Macs. However, bootable clones on M1 Macs are disabled for now because Apple's APFS replication utility does not currently support the special format of the startup disk's Data volume. CCC will automatically proceed with a Data Volume backup when backing up an APFS Volume Group on Big Sur. When Apple fixes this, we'll post an update to CCC that restores support for making bootable backups on these new Macs.

MartyByrde #57004 11/19/20 12:35 AM
OP Online

Another beta version of Big Sur? Thought we were past the betas, although a beta version prior to the next release could make sense. But happening so fast after the initial, non-beta release?
For at least the last two MacOS versions (Mojave and Catalina) and now Big Sur the first beta of the x.1 release has been in the hands of developers, and public beta testers, a few days prior to the initial product release. This is not another beta of MacOS 11.0.1 (which was the actual initial release version of Big Sur), it is the second beta of the MacOS 11.1 update which will be likely be released in the next month to six weeks. Apple simultaneously released tvOS 14.2 beta 2, WatchOS 7.2 Beta 2, and iOS/iPadOS 14.3 beta 2 at the same time. (Normally all would have been x.1 beta 2, but Big Sur is a bit out of synch because its initial release was delayed to correspond with the availability of Apple Silicon.) Updates are typically released every six weeks to two months throughout the OS lifecycle. Early updates sometimes include new features that were previously beta tested but had been left out of the initial release, because Apple wasn't satisfied with their stability or performance at release time. In this case, I suspect most changes will revolve around Apple Silicon as that is by far the least tested part of the system.

NOTE: Public beta testers frequently do not get the first beta release and generally do not get any release until at least 24 to 48 hours after application developers get it.

Last edited by joemikeb; 11/19/20 01:04 AM.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #57005 11/19/20 01:52 AM

For at least the last two MacOS versions (Mojave and Catalina) and now Big Sur the first beta of the x.1 release has been in the hands of developers, and public beta testers, a few days prior to the initial product release. This is not another beta of MacOS 11.0.1 (which was the actual initial release version of Big Sur), it is the second beta of the MacOS 11.1 update which will be likely be released in the next month to six weeks. Apple simultaneously released tvOS 14.2 beta 2, WatchOS 7.2 Beta 2, and iOS/iPadOS 14.3 beta 2 at the same time. (Normally all would have been x.1 beta 2, but Big Sur is a bit out of synch because its initial release was delayed to correspond with the availability of Apple Silicon.) Updates are typically released every six weeks to two months throughout the OS lifecycle. Early updates sometimes include new features that were previously beta tested but had been left out of the initial release, because Apple wasn't satisfied with their stability or performance at release time. In this case, I suspect most changes will revolve around Apple Silicon as that is by far the least tested part of the system.

NOTE: Public beta testers frequently do not get the first beta release and generally do not get any release until at least 24 to 48 hours after application developers get it.

I just don't know. Seems like the initial non-beta release, V11.0.1, was not stable enough. According to the numbering, V11.1.0 (I assume that is the full and complete name) will be the next non-beta release. Wonder how stable it will be? For my testing, I'll wait until V11.2.0 is released, which is just fine. Still have 5 third party applications that need updates for Big Sur compatibility.

MartyByrde #57089 11/26/20 04:06 PM

Apparently, CCC 5.1.23 is not a beta any longer, despite the headline at Yes, you can have bootable backups on macOS Big Sur. When I launched CCC and checked for updates, this new version was listed as available and no mention was made of a beta.

Jon

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard