FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Better Touch Tool application
#53706 03/18/20 03:18 PM
MG2009 Offline OP
OP Offline

Does anyone use BTT? Are you having trouble with the app stopping (being dropped) at will? Any ideas for a fix?

Many thanks,
MG2009
Re: Better Touch Tool application
MG2009 #53708 03/18/20 03:59 PM

Have you tried posting on their web site?

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #53709 03/18/20 04:27 PM
MG2009 Offline OP
OP Offline

No. Their website requires a membership to post questions. Even if I were to sign up, most replies I have read about other questions are not geared toward "learning" users - i.e. tech language without explaining what the terms mean, etc. - which is of no practical use to me. From what I can tell (the site is cumbersome), there are only about a dozen or so posts and none of those address the question I have.

I thought perhaps someone on this site might be able to "dumb it down" for me.

blush

Many thanks,
MG2009
MG2009 #53710 03/18/20 06:13 PM

I downloaded the trial, and I have to agree the instructions are mostly written as if the reader already knew the answer. I'm still not sure what it is supposed to do and I am totally at sea on what gestures to program much less how.

Never the less, I have not encountered any unexpected shutdowns with BTT. As an aside I was having unexpected shutdown issues with a couple of apps, one of them an app that is internal to MacOS but the MacOS 10.15.4 beta cured the problem with both apps. 10.15.4 should be in general release soon and may solve your problem.

THANKS While looking for Better Touch Tool I encountered Better Snap Tool which is turning out to be helpful in managing windows between my two monitors. It really doesn't do anything that could not be done manually, but it is a lot quicker and reasonably intuitive to use in tiling and arranging multiple active windows.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #53711 03/18/20 07:10 PM
MG2009 Offline OP
OP Offline

I bought BTT to do keyboard re-mapping for the top row of keys (F1 to F16).

The re-mapping was easy enough, so I know that it works as far as that goes. However, sometimes the settings revert back to the native state of the keyboard without any prompting from me to do so (i.e. I do not toggle off the BTT settings or quit BTT).

Although I can then re-start BTT, my customization doesn't always kick in again. Quite inconsistent and unpredictable . . . for which I am trying to find the answer.

MG2009 #53713 03/18/20 09:13 PM

Got it now! 🤦🏻‍♂️

One suggestion I can offer that might stop the "quit unexpectedly" messages is to be sure that any functions you remap or change in BTT are turned OFF in System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts. There could easily be conflicts that could cause BTT to crash.

By the way I found the Better Snap Tool functionality I mentioned previously is incorporated into BTT and works with BTT Remote on iOS devices. There is a LOT of power in this app, thanks again for finding it.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #53714 03/18/20 11:36 PM
MG2009 Offline OP
OP Offline

Re: " . . . turned OFF in System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts."

------------

You just might be onto something there. I hadn't even thought of that.

So I went into System Preferences and turned off anything which Apple has, by default, assigned to the "F'n" (hee, hee) keys.

Will let you know if that resolves the "dropping" issue.

Many thanks,
MG2009
MG2009 #53877 04/05/20 10:25 PM
MG2009 Offline OP
OP Offline

UPDATE:

The "dropping" issue may actually be with the keyboard itself and not the app.

I was using a wireless Apple keyboard from 2012 because the raised keys are closer to the feel of a typewriter.

However, when I disconnected that keyboard and connected the 2019 Magic Numerical Apple Keyboard there are no issues whatsoever. Works like it should. (Although I am not all crazy about the "feel" of the latest keyboard. Too much like a laptop. Bummers.)

MG2009 #53878 04/06/20 04:47 PM

Your OP got me hooked on BTT and I have spent a lot of time fine-tuning my settings. During the course of all that I have encountered a note in BTT that certain functions MAY not work with Apple Keyboards. Which would seem to add weight to your thinking the issue might be with your older keyboard.

— Albert Einstein

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard