FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Adding Emails Address to CONTACTS
#53651 03/13/20 04:51 PM
MG2009 Offline OP
OP Offline

Just transferred files, folders, and some 3rd-party apps from backup to new iMac. Woo-Hoo.

I opened and setup the Apple MAIL app. All is fine, except there are no addresses stored in CONTACTS for MAIL to use.

I went back to the backup and dragged the contacts from Library/Application Support/Address Book. The files transferred to the new Mac folder in Application Support, but these are not recognized (?) when I look into CONTACTS. (Just find my own email address and Apple's address - which, I assume, happened when I first fired up the new iMac.)

So . . . I then opened CONTACTS and went to Preferences/Accounts/ + to import from HOTMAIL. I get a message "unable to verify account name or password." Yet, if I go to a Safari webpage and login in Outlook/Hotmail there, no problem. So . . . my password IS recognized by Outlook there.

Clearly I am missing something about the process. Any one have any other ideas how to add HOTMAIL/OUTLOOK recipient addresses for use with Apple MAIL?

Many thanks,
MG2009
Re: Adding Emails Address to CONTACTS
MG2009 #53657 03/13/20 08:03 PM

The following should work if you have Outlook 2016 or 365:

1. In Outlook, select People.
2. Drag an address from that window to the desktop. It becomes a .vcf file.
3. Drag that vcf. file into the Contacts window.

You can probably create a desktop folder first and then drag all the addresses from Outlook into it. Then, open that folder, select all of the addresses, and drag them into the Contacts window.

I know nothing about Hotmail, so I can't help you there.

Last edited by jchuzi; 03/13/20 08:05 PM.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #53658 03/13/20 09:38 PM
MG2009 Offline OP
OP Offline

Wow! I have a brand-spanking new iMac . . . and APPLE MAIL cannot do something as simple, I would think, as importing/exporting addresses in its own CONTACTS application?

Is the only alternative: ADD (sender's) CONTACT from emails I have received?

UPDATE: That's what I did. Fortunately, I only have a few dozen folks I regularly contact.

Last edited by MG2009; 03/13/20 10:04 PM.

Many thanks,
MG2009
MG2009 #53659 03/13/20 10:54 PM

Mail doesn't import contacts. It searches for them in Contacts as you type.

The only contacts archive Mail maintains is Previous Recipients.

You can export an address to Contacts with Message > Add Sender to Contacts.

You should have been able to import the contents of your original Contacts app when you drug & dropped.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
MG2009 #53660 03/13/20 11:00 PM

I know this falls into the category of, "Now he tells me 🤬", but for the benefit of subsequent readers of this thread...

Your Contacts should be transferred automatically…
  • as long as both the old and new Machines are logged onto the same Apple ID and in System Preferences > Apple ID, Contacts is checked.
  • ...or you use Migration Assistant to migrate the network and user data
  • …or you restore /Users/username/Library/Containers/com.apple.AddressBook from a Time Machine backup
The entire Contacts list can be manually transferred by...
  1. Opening Contacts on your old Mac
  2. Select any entry
  3. Press ⌘A to select all the entries
  4. Click and drag to the desktop to create a .vcf file
  5. Open that vcf on the new machine which will launch Contacts and import all of the contacts from the old machine in a single operation.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #53661 03/13/20 11:10 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
…or you restore /Users/username/Library/Containers/com.apple.AddressBook from a Time Machine backup

Couldn't that file be drug & dropped from MG2009's external?

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #53662 03/14/20 04:09 AM
MG2009 Offline OP
OP Offline

Re: " . . . Couldn't that file be drug & dropped from MG2009's external?"

That's what I tried. The individual contacts would appear in the ADDRESS BOOK folder on the new iMac . . . However, when I opened CONTACTS, these would not appear in the list (i.e just mine and Apple's).

MG2009 #53665 03/14/20 06:05 AM

In your initial post you said
Quote:
I went back to the backup and dragged the contacts from Library/Application Support/Address Book. (Emphasis added)
but that's NOT the file joemike referenced, i.e. ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.AddressBook.

(Looking at that folder suggests to me that you may have needed to drag both it AND the one you drug.)

artie505 #53668 03/14/20 04:08 PM

After some experimentation during which My Contacts list was reduced from few hundred entries to Apple and myself I was able to verify ~/Library/Application Support/Address Book folder is where all of the address book entries are located in Catalina. I have also verified the ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.AddressBook folder is also involved as it gets updated when a change is mode to the Contacts List.

I also ran into a reason why replacing the ~/Library/Application Support/Address Book folder replacement may have failed in MG2009's case. When Contacts launches, if ~/Library/Application Support/Address Book folder is not present Contacts immediately creates the folder and structure with two entries Apple and the User. (Sound familiar?) When I restored the ~/Library/Application Support/Address Book folder I received no warning the folder was being overwritten and instead the restored folder ~/Library/Application Support/Address Book 2 was created. (I haven't figured out why I wasn't offered the overwrite option?) After a moment of panic when my Contacts list was not restored 😱 After discovering the renaming instead of overwriting, I corrected the folder names and violà the contacts list was restored. 😁

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #53670 03/14/20 04:40 PM

I have also verified the ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.AddressBook folder is also involved as it gets updated when a change is mode to the Contacts List.

That folder includes a link to ~/Library/Application Support/Address Book

I also ran into a reason why replacing the ~/Library/Application Support/Address Book folder replacement may have failed in MG2009's case. When Contacts launches, if ~/Library/Application Support/Address Book folder is not present Contacts immediately creates the folder and structure with two entries Apple and the User. (Sound familiar?) When I restored the ~/Library/Application Support/Address Book folder I received no warning the folder was being overwritten and instead the restored folder ~/Library/Application Support/Address Book 2 was created. (I haven't figured out why I wasn't offered the overwrite option?) After a moment of panic when my Contacts list was not restored 😱 After discovering the renaming instead of overwriting, I corrected the folder names and violà the contacts list was restored. 😁

If I followed that, you're postulating that MG2009's drag & drop may have actually worked but he was launching the wrong Address Book?

Hah! Sounds all too plausible. frown

Since this hasn't come up, it's worth mentioning that every time I update Contacts I hit File > Export > Contacts Archive, and a backup appears in ~/Documents. Having followed the same practice would have saved MG2009 a heck of a lot of trouble.

joemikeb #53674 03/14/20 05:20 PM
MG2009 Offline OP
OP Offline

Yep. I missed the "containers" distinction in (your) original remarks. blush

If . ..

1. I go to ~/Library/Application Support/Address Book folder, I find in the METADATA folder all the addresses which I added manually .

However . . .

2. When I go to ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.AddressBook folder, the DATA folder only contains aliases, a Documents folder, and a Library folder. In that Library folder there is an Application Support folder which has an alias to ADDRESSBOOK buried within . . . which links me back to ~/Library/Application Support/Address Book. I would never have found that on my own in a million years.

Any-hoo . . . the METADATA folder I mentioned above has 71 addresses with the ROLODEX-type icon. (I didn't realize I had done so many manual entries! Guess I went into a trance mode during the process.) crazy

Thanks, Guys, for all the help. I will do that ARCHIVE thing that Artie mentioned.

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard