FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Free screen sharing app?
#53354 01/28/20 08:13 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

I was using joinme.com for years, but now not free. Any recommendations on free app works great with people? (I'm on Mac)

Re: Free screen sharing app?
kevs #53357 01/29/20 03:35 PM

I am unfamiliar with Joinme.com or join.me but it appears to be a video conferencing site more than screen sharing. So are you interested in screen sharing or video conferencing? If it is the latter and you are screen sharing with another Mac user you can use Messages (nee iMessage). If you can stand the price ($29.99) I have found Screens 4 to be my pick of the litter for screen sharing. It is smooth, fast, and when controlling a remote computer (Mac, Windows, Linux, Raspberry Pi) everything works as if you were physically connected. I use it from my Mac as well as my iPhone and iPad. You can see the User's Guide here for a better of idea of how it works and what it does. You can download a free trial here.

DISCLAIMER: I have no relationship, pecuniary or otherwise, with Screens 4 or its publisher Endovia other than that of a satisfied customer.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #53359 01/29/20 04:55 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Joe. Join me used to be free, and you could send an email invite to anyone on mac or windows, and then intuively and easily they would see your screen whether they have the software or not.

But now they want $10 month.

Do you know anything that fits that bill? Free or low one time fee, and you invite someone who has mac or PC to see your screen, and it really easy, and they don't need the software?

kevs #53385 02/06/20 05:32 PM

Originally Posted By: kevs
Thanks Joe. Join me used to be free, and you could send an email invite to anyone on mac or windows, and then intuively and easily they would see your screen whether they have the software or not.

But now they want $10 month.

Do you know anything that fits that bill? Free or low one time fee, and you invite someone who has mac or PC to see your screen, and it really easy, and they don't need the software?

Apple's Remote Desktop (server, that runs on the machine to be viewed) is built in and free. The client that views/controls, is down to $79, but the protocol is VNC and there are several free viewers like Chicken of the VNC. (as well as a few for the iphone/ipad even)

requires port mapping though and maybe setting up a static ip address so setup is not for the novice.

TeamViewer used to be free but now they just yank your chain around while trying to use the free one, but it does work. Is also cross-platform, and doesn't require static addresses or port mapping.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #53388 02/07/20 12:17 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Virtual/ others:

Looking for free app where client or anyone can my screen easily, and non-intuitively; and they don't have to have any software on there en or know anything.. ie, I send them an email= invite and they click and boom see my screen.

(joinme.com used to be like that....)

kevs #53630 03/10/20 04:38 PM

If you are still looking, there is a review that covers seven free apps.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard