FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Adventures in Networking
#52787 11/01/19 07:41 PM
OP Offline

tongue

In the last 9 years, I've run a number of upgrades/updates and did the odd bit of troubleshooting, but this is the first time since my Mac Pro that I've installed software on a brand new computer. It was delivered on the 30th and I've been working on it non-stop until now.

I'm supposed to be talking about the networking problems – Ethernet, remote management, wi-fi, etc. but my first problem was:

I needed to know the Ethernet Mac address of the new iMac, but didn't know how to get it without first installing the OS, then checking System Report. Had I read the delivery box, I'd have found the MAC address printed on the outside. D'oh!

So, I did it my way, then migrated my User folder from the Mac Pro and now I have two User folders (Jerry and Jerry 1 - admin) and am unable to get rid of either.

My OCD had me near reformatting the SDD, but I decided to turn a blind eye.

Networking: you absolutely cannot get on the internet when you have read the MAC address upside down and typed a b instead of a d. Anyway, I finally have CAT6 cables from the router to the 1) broadband extender 2) the old Mac Pro and 3) the new iMac. Perfect. Then, I have an old CAT5 cable from the Ethernet 2 port on the Mac Pro to an Ethernet to USB3 adapter for my MacBook Air. I'm trying to figure out how to clone a drive with Carbon Copy Cloner over Ethernet.

The trickiest part was remote management of my Mac Pro. Ticking the right boxes was simple enough, but I only got a 1024 x 748 window on the iMac, which looked postage stamp-sized on the 5120 x 2880 screen. Why was it not 1920 x 1200, like my old Dell monitor?

It came to me in bed - the Mac Pro needed the monitor to get the resolution profile. I plugged the monitor back in and, indeed, the resolution was 1920 x 1200. What surprised me was, I switched off the monitor and the resolution still holds as long as it is connected to the Mac Pro, even switched off. Wierd.

Anyway, remote control of the Mac Pro via a window on the iMac works an absolute treat! No time lag, good image.

Everything has been pretty straight forward, except for reinstalling Adobe CS5 on the iMac (it came with Mojave, thankfully). I spent a couple hours online with Adobe support trying to get my valid serial numbers accepted.

This was amazing: Neha, from Adobe, asked to take control of my computer and I agreed. I sat back and watched in amazement as (s)he drove the computer from Cupertino/India. The cursor was zooming around the screen, only occasionally needing password input from me. In the end, CS5 is working, but only the version from the install discs. The updaters that I've kept do not work. There is no way to download them - not supported. I'm trying to copy folders from the Mac Pro and "suck it and see". I can't get the latest Distiller to work. Photoshop (the one that counts) works fine.

Oops! Supper is ready. Sorry to be bending your virtual ears! grin

iMac (19,1, 3.1 GHz i5, 12.7.4, 40 Gb RAM); MacBook Air (1.8 Ghz, 8 Gb RAM, 10.14.6, 256 Gb SSD) Vodafone router and Devolo Wi-Fi Extender, Canon TS8351 printer/scanner.
Re: Adventures in Networking
freelance #52789 11/02/19 12:24 AM

To attempt a work-around for why your downloaded legacy updaters for CS5 are not working, do a get info on the first one you want to run, disconnect yourself from the World Wide Web to ensure you get no outside influences (you want to have everything handled in-house, i.e., from files located on your local disk(s)...NOT from files that need to come across the internet), then noting the date of your updater reset your computer clock to a date one day later than the updater and see if it runs for your needs.

If that works, then use the same process for each of the other updater files you have to run.....

Let us know.

Freedom is never free....thank a Service member today.
freelance #52798 11/02/19 01:05 PM

Originally Posted By: freelance
....you absolutely cannot get on the internet when you have read the MAC address upside down and typed a b instead of a d.

Ya, that only works with "o" or "x". grin

Last edited by ryck; 11/02/19 01:07 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
MacManiac #52816 11/04/19 07:47 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: MacManiac
To attempt a work-around for why your downloaded legacy updaters for CS5...

Thanks. I have sent this post to myself for future reference. In the meantime, I seem to have got everything updated by copying the relevant Application Support folders across to the iMac and the CS5 application folders have been copied in full over the applications installed by the DVD.

I truly did not expect it to work, but everything is working fine with the exception of Acrobat Distiller.

In the meantime, I have discovered a thing or two about managing my Mac Pro via the Screen Sharing app:

I had trouble shutting it down, but solved that by quitting the app as soon as I clicked the Shut Down link in the window.

I could not open the CD drawer (I have two) from the window and I could not Sleep the Mac Pro from the window. I solved this by attaching the old USB keyboard to the Mac Pro and using the appropriate key strokes to open the CD drawer and Sleep the computer. Burning/ripping discs via Remote Disc works well.

I only have a 256 Gb SSD in the iMac, so everything of size (installers, movies, photos, music, etc. is on the server.

It's been a stressful few days, but everything is networking just fine right now.

iMac (19,1, 3.1 GHz i5, 12.7.4, 40 Gb RAM); MacBook Air (1.8 Ghz, 8 Gb RAM, 10.14.6, 256 Gb SSD) Vodafone router and Devolo Wi-Fi Extender, Canon TS8351 printer/scanner.
freelance #52936 11/21/19 08:06 PM

Originally Posted By: freelance
[quote=MacManiac]I could not open the CD drawer (I have two) from the window and I could not Sleep the Mac Pro from the window.

Open /System/Library/CoreServices/MenuExtras and double click "Eject.menu"

an eject symbol will appear in the menu extras bar in the upper right. if you have one ODD, it will eject it. If you have more than one, a drop down will appear and you get to pick. clever!

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #52940 11/21/19 11:00 PM
OP Offline

Thanks for that! smile

freelance #52949 11/22/19 08:48 PM

it was actually part of disk utility, and once upon a time when DU had a preferences panel you could turn that on/off.

(a bit like turning on the keychain viewer in keychain access - which Apple recently REMOVED)

But now the only way to get at it is by running the menu. It should stay there even if you reboot.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard