Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Foxtrot Personal Search
#52174 08/05/19 06:01 PM
MG2009 Offline OP
OP Offline

FOXTROT . . .

I installed it and selected NOT to have it start up at log in. It was removed from my list of User Preferences at Login and does not appear there. Yet it always launches automatically and I cannot find a way for it not to do so (other than uninstall the app and toss it). So each time I log in I now have to go to the task bar, click on its icon, and quit FOXTROT.

I am not a fan of things which I tell not to happen do so anyway. Bah!

edited to change title before splitting off this branch...

Last edited by MacManiac; 08/06/19 01:17 PM.
Re: FOXTROT, search problem
MG2009 #52175 08/05/19 08:27 PM

That sounds like it may be a bug; have you contacted the developer?

More: This question is totally unrelated to the O.P. and should maybe be relocated?

Or is FoxTrot a proposed solution?

edited to clarify title...

Last edited by MacManiac; 08/06/19 01:22 PM.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
MG2009 #52176 08/05/19 10:56 PM

I am totally unfamiliar with FOXTROT but typically apps that launch themselves as you describe, do so through either a LaunchAgent or LaunchDaemon. Launch Daemons can be found in /Library/LaunchDaemons and Launch Agents in ~/Library/LaunchAgents or less often in /Library/LaunchAgents. NOTE: /Library is on the boot drive root and ~/Library is found in your user home folder.

LaunchAgents & Daemons files are often protected by the system and can be difficult to delete — they just keep coming back. Start with a
Originally Posted By: Safe Boot
  1. On your Mac, choose Apple menu > Shut Down.
  2. After your Mac shuts down, wait 10 seconds, then press the power button.
  3. Immediately after your Mac starts (some Mac computers play a startup sound), press and hold the Shift key.
  4. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple logo and progress indicator.
Then delete the LaunchAgent/LaunchDaemon and empty the trash. Finally Reboot normally and hopefully that will solve your problem.

By-the-way I found several apps with the sobriquet FOXTROT. Out of curiosity which one do your have and what does it do?

Last edited by MacManiac; 08/06/19 01:23 PM.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #52177 08/05/19 11:21 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
...typically apps that launch themselves as you describe, do so through either a LaunchAgent or LaunchDaemon. Launch Daemons can be found in /Library/LaunchDaemons and Launch Agents in ~/Library/LaunchAgents or less often in /Library/LaunchAgents.

That was my first reaction after reading MG2009's post, but before posting it I went looking to see how Cookie turns the trick, and it seems to do it without either a launch agent or daemon in either /Library or ~/Library, nor could I find a single Cookie component that looked like a likely suspect.

Sooo...got me beat.

And under any circumstances, unchecking the box in FoxTrot's prefs should turn the trick with no further ado.

Last edited by MacManiac; 08/06/19 01:24 PM.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
joemikeb #52178 08/06/19 03:21 AM

I think an abbreviated name may have introduced some confusion here.....specifically, "FOXTROT".

It looks to me as if MG2009 may have been referring to the app that was linked by Ira L. (in the preceding post) to Foxtrot Personal Search as a possible work-around for the shortfalls in searching within the Mail app.

...and then he went on to say that it doesn't stop auto loading for him on each login.

If this should be a new thread, just confirm that I'm reading it correctly and we can break this branch off.

edited to clarify title...and make link live.

Last edited by MacManiac; 08/06/19 01:25 PM.

Freedom is never free....thank a Service member today.
MacManiac #52179 08/06/19 03:40 AM
MG2009 Offline OP
OP Offline

Yes . . . my remarks are in response to the FOXTROT app suggested above (which is designed to allow a search of one's own emails).

Last edited by MacManiac; 08/06/19 01:20 PM.
Re: Foxtrot Personal Search
MG2009 #52185 08/06/19 04:17 PM

Originally Posted By: MG2009
FOXTROT . . .

I installed it and selected NOT to have it start up at log in. It was removed from my list of User Preferences at Login and does not appear there. Yet it always launches automatically and I cannot find a way for it not to do so (other than uninstall the app and toss it). So each time I log in I now have to go to the task bar, click on its icon, and quit FOXTROT.

I am not a fan of things which I tell not to happen do so anyway. Bah!

edited to change title before splitting off this branch...

I don't use Foxtrot and only have heard from other users that it is quite effective for searching emails. As such, it would make sense that it would be up and running all the time if it is to quickly have a database of emails that it has cataloged, much like Apple's Spotlight is always "on".

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard