for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
WiFi & LTE Connectivity Issue
#50204 10/13/18 11:44 AM
OP Offline

Since the release of the new iPhone XS/XS Max, there has been a lot of noise re owners’ (justifiable) complaints of WiFi and LTE connectivity issues.

Apparently, the WiFi piece of this issue is now resolved, or partially attenuated, by iOS 12.0.1. AFAIK, the LTE piece remains fully unresolved.

I presume Apple is sparing no expense in working this issue, but from here, I have little insight to the problem/fix and when, if ever, the problem will be a thing of the past.

Not unexpectedly, there is no feedback from the mothership, so I haven’t (even) a clue as to how wide-spread the problem may be. So for me, even bounding the issue is difficult.

A direct consequence of all this, is that while I would like to buy a new iPhone X, that will be deferred until after there is broad consensus that the problem has been fixed.

My ignorance (and frustration) is great (well, high).

Has anyone seen an “official” statement from Apple? Perhaps that would help calm the savage beast…

Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.13.6), iPhone Xs Max (12.1)

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: WiFi & LTE Connectivity Issue
Pendragon #50206 10/13/18 03:53 PM

According to MacRumors:
"Modem firmware updates are a routine part of major .1 iOS releases, so it's not yet clear if the new firmware specifically addresses issues that customers have been experiencing with LTE connectivity.

Early reports on the MacRumors forums have, however, suggested that iOS 12.1 does indeed bring some improvements. MacRumors archer75, for example, says the update has doubled his LTE speeds. Other users, though, have said the update does not address LTE problems.

Regardless of whether a fix has been bundled into the iOS 12.1 update, Apple is taking reports of LTE problems seriously and investigating what might be going on, so should this be a software-related issue, a resolution is likely in the works."

The references are to iOS 12.1 beta, although the "other users'" comments may be in reference to 12.0.1.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #50284 10/20/18 01:30 PM
OP Offline

IRA,

Please forgive my rudeness. I really do try to acknowledge those who have taken the time to help.

While I remain an Apple fan boy, I am a bit amazed that Apple continues to sell products with known (serious) defects, unless of course, Apple is convinced the resolution can be "promptly" done without need of a recall.

Still, I’ll keep a tight hold on my Zorkmids until significants improvements are made.

Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.13.6), iPhone Xs Max (12.1)

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Pendragon #50285 10/20/18 03:43 PM

No offense taken. smirk

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Brazel #50570 11/29/18 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Brazel
Originally Posted by Pendragon
IRA,

Please forgive my rudeness. I really do try to acknowledge those who have taken the time to help.

While I remain an Apple fan boy, I am a bit amazed that Apple continues to sell products with known (serious) defects, unless of course, Apple is convinced the resolution can be "promptly" done without need of a recall.

Still, I’ll keep a tight hold on my Zorkmids until significants improvements are made.

Why do you think they do this? To keep the profit margins up? That's a sure way of shaking consumer's confidence in the brand though.

I have never worked in the hardware/software industries, so I can't really say. I tend to be more trusting than most so I would like to believe that profit margins are not the only motivation.

It would not surprise me if companies had a ranking scale for bugs/problems and if the issue is below a certain level on the scale, it gets released. tongue

Last edited by cyn; 01/26/24 01:00 PM. Reason: Added quote of Brazel's post when it was removed due to new spam signature.

On a Mac since 1984.
Ira L #50571 11/29/18 06:03 PM

I have worked in the electronics industry and from experience there are occasions where products do get released while there are still known bugs. Microsoft has admitted to major releases of Windows with over 1,500 known unresolved bugs many of them major. It is mathematically impossible to test every possible circumstance or combination. Apples Public beta programs is an effort to expand the number of tested combinations.

Where new hardware such as the new iPhone is involved, it is possible to test the hardware functionality against published standards and design goals 100%. But when the hardware is mated with new software and subjected to the real world variety of cell towers, transmitters, receivers, signal propagation, and variations toward the outer reaches of the standards the number of possibilities for failure once again approaches infinity. Under pressure a product may get released with known or suspected issues, especially if the developers believe the bug will occur only in very rare circumstance and a software fix is known and under development. Unfortunately developers may underestimate the frequency of occurrence and/or how long it will take to develop the software fix.

Apple is particularly vulnerable to this kind of glitch because of their propensity for pushing the envelope in both software and hardware technology.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard