for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
iOS 12 Query & Google Maps
#49632 08/02/18 03:46 PM
OP Offline

A bit of background: I am not especially fond of either the default Garmin Maps (on my 2018 Honda) or Apple Maps via CarPlay, ergo, I eagerly await iOS 12 and being able to use Google Maps.

That all said, and when time allows, and if your NDA allows such…

Please share your thoughts re using iOS 12/Google Maps via CarPlay:

1. In general, does Google Maps work as well as it does from within an iPhone?
2. Will Google Maps portray in Satellite mode as well as it does in the Default or Terrain modes?
3. Any specific downsides or “gotchas”?

Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.13.6), iPhone Xs Max (12.1)

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: iOS 12 Query & Google Maps
Pendragon #49634 08/02/18 06:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Pendragon
Please share your thoughts re using iOS 12/Google Maps via CarPlay:

I would be happy to do that, but as of today the version of Google Maps that appears in the App Store is not compatible with Car Play, or if it is the ability to access it in Car Play is very well hidden. Once I am able to use Google Maps in Car Play I will let you know. Personally I expected it concurrent with the iOS 12 Public Beta but 🤷‍♂️

It should be noted that Apple Maps in iOS 12 is not the same as Apple Maps in iOS 11. Whether you like the changes or not is a matter of personal opinion — I like it and my wife not so much. My experience with the new Apple Maps has so far been limited to the DFW Metroplex, but I have found the maps and guidance to be very accurate. Last week I was directed to a new route that had opened less than 8 hours earlier that same day. I confess a predilection for Apple Maps because of its connection with my Apple Watch. I am alerted to upcoming maneuvers by a chime and a haptic on my Apple watch, which I find VERY helpful when negotiating complex intersections in heavy traffic as I don't have to take my eyes off of the road to look at the map to follow a turn.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #49635 08/02/18 09:25 PM
OP Offline

Thanks, Joe. Your insight is most appreciated.

Indeed I remain eager to learn of the progress vis-à-vis Google Maps and the Public Beta, and hope this does come to pass, but I am a bit surprised that Apple is (even) accommadating this.

FWIW: I'll be sure to clarify this when next Tim calls...

Harv

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Pendragon #49642 08/03/18 01:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Pendragon
Indeed I remain eager to learn of the progress vis-à-vis Google Maps and the Public Beta, and hope this does come to pass, but I am a bit surprised that Apple is (even) accommadating this.

Apple provides the APIs to enable this, but it is still up to Google to use those APIs in their code. From the remarks at the WWDC it would appear Google had agreed to do that, but given Google's move toward forcing everyone to go through Chrome (so they can be more conveniently tracked and monitored) I was a bit surprised Google would agree to this without imposing other conditions. Add to that Apple's very extensive and expensive plan to upgrade Maps as a direct competitor of Google Maps and it becomes even more surprising. I am not saying it won't happen, but I am not holding my breath waiting.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #49654 08/04/18 03:07 PM
OP Offline

And AppleInsider has a few thoughts... Of course, I especially like their take on things because that's what I want to hear. cool

"...iOS 12, which is set to debut this fall, is a major overhaul for iPhone and iPad. Since CarPlay is just a projection of your iPhone's display, it makes sense that we'd see at least a few notable changes.

One of the first things we tested out was the new Maps application. Apple is replacing all the mapping data with their own in-house data instead of relying on third parties. Maps is now much more detailed than it has been in the past but is limited at the moment.

CarPlay iOS 12

This new mapping data is rolling out first in the Bay Area, before spreading to the rest of California and then the rest of the US.

For those who don't prefer Apple Maps, they can rejoice because third-party map and navigation apps can now be used with iOS 12, including popular options like Waze and Google Maps. They work seamlessly and offer unique features not found in Apple's own Maps app. Many developers have already voiced support, including some with offline mapping capabilities..."

Harv

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard