FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Macbook Pro (Mid-2012) Hibernation
#49296 07/02/18 03:37 AM
tacit Offline OP
OP Offline

I have a problem that has stumped me, stumped an Apple Genius, and so now I put it out to you guys.

I have a workhorse Macbook Pro mid-2012 that's been a reliable companion for a long time. When I got my new MBP, the mid-2012 was relegated to running a Web and streaming video server.

It is currently running Sierra Server. And lately, it has started hibernating after anywhere from 2-12 hours of inactivity. Needless to say, as it's a server, I do not want it to hibernate.

Things I have done:

- Set Sleep to Never in System Preferences
- Installed an anti-sleep app (InsomniaX) designed to stop it from sleeping
- Used the Terminal to disable hibernation completely with sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0 (and verified it with pmset -g which shows hibernate 0)
- Deleted the sleepimage file
- Used the Terminal to set autopoweroff to 0 (and verified with pmset -g that standby and autopoweroff were set to 0)
- Wiped the hard drive and re-installed Sierra Server
- Replaced the battery (even though it lives on AC power, a Google search suggests a defective battery can cause weird sleep/hibernate issues)
- Reset the SMC and NVRAM

The Apple Genius suggested the problem might be a physically defective system management controller, though he wasn't sure if that would cause my symptoms or not. Needless to say I don't want to shell out the $$ to have the SMC board replaced if it won't fix the problem, especially as I've already shelled out $$ on a new battery for this 6-year-old computer and I don't want to keep throwing money at it.

Any ideas?

Last edited by tacit; 07/02/18 03:37 AM.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
Re: Macbook Pro (Mid-2012) Hibernation
tacit #49302 07/02/18 11:51 AM

Being a laptop, it may have a problem with the lid sensor (in the trackpad actually) being glitchy and thinking the lid got closed. I've seen it happen. You could UNPLUG the trackpad outright (and use external keyboard/mouse) as a troubleshooting step.

Another troubleshooting step is "separate hardware from software" by booting the computer off an external hard drive and see if the problem persists or goes away. You can also do the opposite by booting the computer in target mode and booting a different computer off it's startup drive. The latter option has the advantage that you can continue to use it somewhat normally while testing.

If your local "genius" is at all smart they would have done the above tests. Unfortunately, a lot of "geniuses" aren't.

Also the SMC isn't on its own board (AFAIK on any model) so that'd mean a logic board replacement. Not cheap. Being a 2012 they may not even offer that repair. (flat-rate mail-in would probably be cheaper anyway)

Finally, peripherals can cause this. Think anything connected over USB/firewire/displayport/thunderbolt/etc. This includes keyboards and mice

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
tacit #49306 07/02/18 07:40 PM

As an alternative to InsomniaX, you might try one of those apps (none of which I can think of at the moment...sorry) that tweaks your cursor every now and again.

Found one...hope it works...at all:" Jiggler 1.7

Last edited by artie505; 07/02/18 07:53 PM. Reason: Add link

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Virtual1 #49309 07/02/18 10:17 PM
tacit Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: Virtual1
Being a laptop, it may have a problem with the lid sensor (in the trackpad actually) being glitchy and thinking the lid got closed. I've seen it happen. You could UNPLUG the trackpad outright (and use external keyboard/mouse) as a troubleshooting step.

That's an interesting thought. I used InsomniaX to disable lid sleep and the same thing still happens, so I think that most likely rules out the lid sensor?

Another troubleshooting step is "separate hardware from software" by booting the computer off an external hard drive and see if the problem persists or goes away. You can also do the opposite by booting the computer in target mode and booting a different computer off it's startup drive. The latter option has the advantage that you can continue to use it somewhat normally while testing.

I haven't tried booting a different computer from this machine's hard drive. I have tried booting the problematic computer from an external drive. Still hibernates.

Finally, peripherals can cause this. Think anything connected over USB/firewire/displayport/thunderbolt/etc. This includes keyboards and mice

Literally the only things connected to this computer are the power cable and an Ethernet cable. Disconnecting the Ethernet and using WiFi didn't help. frown

I'm leaning more and more to hardware.

artie505 #49310 07/02/18 10:17 PM
tacit Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: artie505
As an alternative to InsomniaX, you might try one of those apps (none of which I can think of at the moment...sorry) that tweaks your cursor every now and again.

Found one...hope it works...at all:" Jiggler 1.7

Huh. I'll give that a try!

tacit #49312 07/02/18 10:31 PM

I just tried it, and it prevented my screensaver from starting in 10.13.5.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
tacit #49404 07/10/18 10:04 AM

Just wondering if Jiggler worked around your problem?

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard