for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Face ID, Fact or Fiction?
#47019 11/25/17 03:44 PM
OP Offline

I have been told that when Face ID does not work as divined, one can enter their pass code and that will, in itself, increase the accuracy of Face ID.

Waddya think, is that fact or fiction? confused

Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.13.6), iPhone Xs Max (12.1)

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: Face ID, Fact or Fiction?
Pendragon #47020 11/25/17 04:14 PM

According technical details provided in a podcast by Jon Siracusa, who detailed how the technology works as only Siracusa can about when the passcode is entered, the technology behind Face ID, does take additional facial shots which result in furthering the local, Face ID db. ...These incremental updates, if called upon by entering the passcode, is how Face ID learns whether one has grown a beard, changed hairstyle, etc.

Here's a link to Apple's Face ID Security Guide

But, Face ID works as advertised. Fast. Reliable. laugh

I've had my X for 10 days (as of this writing), and Face ID has worked each and every time, regardless whether I'm wearing glasses (were not worn during initial set up), a hat, or hair is messed.

As result, during this initial usage period, I have not yet been required to enter my passcode; and I use my X throughout each day. The only time I have entered my passcode was after restarting my X; and entering one's passcode after a restart (or after 48 hours of device not being unlocked) is required just as it was for Touch ID.

Additionally, the process (lift X, glance - default setting - at screen while lifting, & swiping up from bottom of the X) is equally fast as using Touch ID. This process is fast enough that it feels as if there's no security procedure at all since I am not waiting to actually see the unlock icon, but simply glancing at the screen (when Lock Screen appears) & then, swiping up with my thumb.

Frankly, I already prefer Face ID over Touch ID, which I use every day on my iPad Air 2. Additionally, I now believe Face ID is the future for Apple's new products, and Apple will work towards supplanting Touch ID with Face ID.

Last edited by pbGuy; 11/25/17 07:28 PM. Reason: deleted iOS version advisory

MacStudio M1max - 14.4.1, 64 GB Ram, 4TB SSD; Studio Display; iPhone 13mini; Watch 9; iPadPro (M2) 11" WiFi
pbGuy #47022 11/25/17 05:39 PM

Originally Posted By: pbGuy
I've had my X for 10 days (as of this writing), and Face ID has worked each and every time, regardless whether I'm wearing glasses (were not worn during initial set up), a hat, or hair is messed.

I"m not surprised that neither messed hair nor hat stumped Face ID, but I'd have guessed that glasses obscure enough of your face that a password would have been required at least the first time you tried while wearing them.

Have you tried while wearing sunglasses?

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #47023 11/25/17 06:08 PM
OP Offline

Many thanks guys, for cluing me in. While I've had no problems with my Face ID, I did doubt the veracity re the password tip. Alas, another example of what seems logical/intuitive to me, just ain't so. Clearly, my incorrect belief must have been a carry-over from something my wife told me... cool

And thanks as well, pbGuy for the iOS correction. blush

Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.13.6), iPhone Xs Max (12.1)

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #47024 11/25/17 07:12 PM

My glasses (one pair for reading - 2 other pair are a transitional, bi-focal pair worn when driving or outside when I'll need for reading) are all worn periodically during the day. However, my reading glasses, which have half-lens, are different from the others which are rimless.

I was concerned (first Face ID activation wearing my reading glasses) my eyes might somehow be obscured or I'd have to view the Home Screen in some awkward way. However, Face ID worked / has continually worked without issue when wearing these glasses.

I've tried my sunglasses (about a half dozen, inside tests where ambient light conditions were towards the dark / shady spectrum) which have custom clip-on for my rimless glasses. The clip-on lens are brown in color, polarized, but do not block my eyes from being visible (as say, a reflective lens would). Face ID has worked reliably. ...I've read as long as sunglasses have lens whereby one's eyes can be seen by the TrueDepth camera, then, Face ID will work. I don't know how dark the lens must be before this won't work; but so far, I'm very happy as I can wear all my glasses and Face ID works.

MacStudio M1max - 14.4.1, 64 GB Ram, 4TB SSD; Studio Display; iPhone 13mini; Watch 9; iPadPro (M2) 11" WiFi
pbGuy #47025 11/25/17 08:54 PM

At first I kept thinking facial recognition had failed because it happened so fast, but then I noticed the padlock icon at the top of the screen was unlocking almost as fast as I could raise the iPhone to wake it up. I still have to think about the various control gestures, but I am confident those will quickly become automatic.

There are other usability features associated with the TrueDepth camera in addition to facial recognition such as
  • turning Safari off if you are not looking at the iPhone and back on when you glance back
  • Lowering the alert volume if you are looking at the screen
I could see all of that as a real bonus on a MacBook as well as on iOS devices.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
pbGuy #47041 11/27/17 05:54 PM

One Apple columnist tried various disguises to fool Face ID (I've since searched for the article; alas, can't find it). He had pictures of all his variations. He put on sunglasses, hats, fake beards—Face ID worked with all of them. The only one where it failed was when he wrapped a winter-style scarf around his neck and pulled it up over his mouth and nose. grin

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard