for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
preview not opening images from a specific dmg
#45875 07/31/17 02:29 AM
OP Offline

For the record... I just spent 20 minutes trying to figure out why ANY image on a disk image I had mounted (read/write) would launch preview but then do nothing. Also dragging the jpeg to preview would not open it. It just ignored me, and left NO error messages anywhere I could find.

Rebuilding launch services database did not help.

I finally had a stroke of luck while troubleshooting... if I changed the "open with" for one of the images to Safari and then double clicked it, GATEKEEPER popped up saying I could not open this jpeg because it was from an unknown developer, AND telling me that "safari downloaded this disk image at xxx". (I made this disk image using disk utility) OK that's totally bizarre but would sort of explain the problem I'm experiencing.

Sierra generously removed the "open from anywhere" option, so I hacked that back on but it still didn't want to work. Further research found that the quarantine flag is stored as an xattr on files, or in this case, on the disk image file itself. ls -la@ didnt show any quarrantine flag on any of my disk images. Ok whatever, I'll nuke it anyway to see if anything changes.

in terminal: xattr -c (filename)

That strips all extended attributes. It also nuked the custom folder icon of the disk image. Whatever, I can fix that. I can now open images in preview from that disk image.

I'm getting really tired of fighting my operating system to get everyday tasks done.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Re: preview not opening images from a specific dmg
Virtual1 #45876 07/31/17 02:36 AM
OP Offline

spoke too soon. now it will open the one image to safari but not to preview. And when I try to change a different image to open in safari, NOW it changes it's story.

"image.png MAY BE A PROGRAM" or some such nonsense and do I really want to open it in safari. But gives me a "never warn me about opening on this disk image" which I checked. Now images will open if dragged to safari, but still are ignored by preview. ARRRRG

Why on earth does it think these png and jpeg are programs??? and only on THIS DISK IMAGE?

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Re: preview not opening images from a specific dmg
Virtual1 #45878 07/31/17 05:04 PM

You made the disk image; try making it again. Maybe there was some corruption/error the first time around.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard