My wife’s iPad (Mini 3 WiFi, iOS 10.2.1) started 'misbehaving' when attempting to import photos into iPhoto on her 2008 MBPro running Snow Leopard. iPhoto throws up a dialog to the effect that the iPad is locked and requires a password to unlock. The iPad does not show the number pad to unlock it when this happens, but wonders whether to Trust or Not trust the computer it’s connected to (yes, Trust). Attempting to comply with the unlock request (if possible, as the iPad may already be ‘open’) or having done so already after restarting it and forcing the number pad appearance, doesn’t change things.

The problem started out of the blue one day after photo imports on previous days had proceeded without a glitch. No software was installed or updated in the meanwhile. Switching to other MBP accounts didn’t improve things, but the problem disappeared when hooking the iPad up to another Mac (running Yosemite w/Photos). A new MBP is in the works, but I’m wondering what caused the issue’s sudden appearance, and if it’s fixable without doing a full OS X reinstall etc. I have the feeling that I’m missing something obvious, but can’t figure out what.

alternaut moderator