An open community 
of Macintosh users,
for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Software to re-establish dropped AirPort?
#43539 01/30/17 11:57 PM
tacit Offline OP
OP Offline

I have an iMac "Core 2 Duo" 2.66 20-Inch (Early 2009), model code iMac 9,1, that I'm using as a server. This iMac has no working Ethernet port; part of the reason I have it is I got it for next to nothing because the Ethernet port was damaged in a storm.

I'm currently using it for a server. I installed a 5TB hard drive in it, mirrored to an external 5TB hard drive, and it acts as one of my two off-site backup servers (I have one in Portland and one in Vancouver). It's running the current version of macOS Sierra and OS X Server.

There is an ongoing problem with this computer: about once a week, the AirPort connection drops for no reason. I've tried every troubleshooting step I can think of, up to and including a complete wipe and reinstall. There's no pattern to when the AirPort connection drops. When it does, if I'm not in Portland I have to have my Portland partner go in and reset it. Invariable, AirPort is turned on but not connected. She just chooses the router name from the dropdown menu and it's back again.

And yes, it is set to connect to this router automatically. If I turn AirPort off and back on again, it connects.

Given that this problem has defied all my troubleshooting and I need a solution, does anyone know of software that monitors for the presence of an Internet connection, and, if one is not detected, can be made to turn AirPort off and on again automatically? While such an app wouldn't fix the underlying problem, it would at least keep the server on the network.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
Re: Software to re-establish dropped AirPort?
tacit #43540 01/31/17 03:59 AM

Two thoughts.

To answer your question directly, Keyboard Maestro allows a trigger when a wireless network is connected or (more relevantly for you) disconnected. That would likely work for your purpose.

Another thought is to check the list of WiFi networks in System Preferences and delete all but your home network. I notice that my iMac tends to populate with a huge list, all by itself, from time to time. It would appear it somehow gets a dump from iCloud of every SSID to which my iPhone has ever connected (and to which my wife has ever connected her iPhone too). It may not help, but it won't cost anything to try…

tacit #43541 01/31/17 06:04 AM

Carrying David's suggestion one step further, you might want to delete ALL the retained WiFi networks that the iMac has remembered, THEN re-join the ONE network that you wish to remain associated, keeping that WiFi network as your ONLY remembered network.......

If that doesn't do it, you might need to start in single user mode, then, using Unix commands, clear all the retained cache files in /System/Library/Caches and in /Library/Caches.....the cache files stored in your ~/Library/Caches directory could also be wiped, but are not likely to be associated with your WiFi issue.

If you are still having this issue when I get back into the country in March, perhaps we should have a "house call" meeting at PDX.....

Keep in mind that the WiFi access point might be contributing to this event as well.

Freedom is never free....thank a Service member today.
MacManiac #43542 01/31/17 06:39 AM
tacit Offline OP
OP Offline

I've tried deleting the entire list of saved WiFi networks; it didn't help. Keyboard Maestro might be just the thing! I'm looking into that now.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard