FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
1st test Message: iphone to Desktop not working
#42561 11/05/16 09:03 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

I've been using messages on my iphone for 2 years now. Today, I just did my first test to see if messages on desktop would work, and it does not.

Messages on my desktop does have my phone number and email in the list, in preferences ok, all there fine, but it's only showing very old messages in the left hand pane from 2015. I've opened/ quit, relaunched several times. Wont get up to date/ speed.

Re: 1st test Message: iphone to Desktop not working
kevs #42564 11/05/16 11:03 PM

SMS (Messaging) is a very simple messaging system originally designed for mobil phone devices. Messages are not the same as an IMAP mail account if anything they are somewhat more analogous to a POP email account. SMS is a broadcast system and all devices that have the given message account active and are turned on when a text is sent will receive and store it locally. If all of the devices with the same account ID, phone number, etc are turned on when the message is sent the sender will get a return notice the message failed and that is the end of it. NEW messages will show up on all devices that have active accounts for the destination address, email address, cell phone number, AOL account address, etc. Those old message you are seeing were received while the messaging account was still active on your desktop and are resident in a database on your hard drive and nowhere else until you delete them from your hard drive. Of course there are complications from the various messaging systems Apple has melded into Messages, but basically the principal is still the same.

The only way to get the messages from your iPhone to your desktop would be to re-send each of them to yourself and that would of course mess up who sent the message originally. However if you leave your desktop on it should remain relatively current with your new messages from this point on.

Try activating the message accounts on your desktop and then send a message either from your desktop or iPhone and it should appear as a received message on both Devices. If it doesn't then there may be a problem with your setup.

Since Yosemite the account settings for Mail and Messages have been lodged inSystem Preferences ➭ Internet Accounts. The accounts are setup there by clicking on the Plus (+) sign at the bottom of the accounts list to add accounts then in the right hand pane checking (✓) the services available for that account.

Once that is done you can add the details in Messages âž­ Preferences âž­ Accounts.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #42566 11/06/16 12:44 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Joe, good info. I was hoping that if I travel abroad, and don't want to bring the iphone (for fear of loss/ theft), I could still check messages on my laptop, which I will bring. But no go?

I'm on 10.11.6

Last edited by kevs; 11/06/16 12:48 AM.
kevs #42571 11/06/16 01:00 PM

It should work fine. I do that with my iPad Pro and it works great.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
kevs #42581 11/06/16 06:47 PM

This may repeat steps you have already taken.

On iPhone > Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding > Allow these devices to send and receive text messages from this iPhone.

Back up everything you can't afford to lose: documents, mail, movies, music, photos, and other data and settings.
dianne #42603 11/07/16 05:14 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Diane. It says enter the code shown on your mac. Where do I find this "code"?

kevs #42604 11/07/16 05:32 PM

The code will appear in Messages; either on your Mac or your iPhone.

Back up everything you can't afford to lose: documents, mail, movies, music, photos, and other data and settings.
dianne #42605 11/07/16 05:37 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

OK but where? I've looked around, don't see anywhere there is a "code". Thanks Diane.

I slide the green slider to forward and it demands a code I have no idea where is.

Last edited by kevs; 11/07/16 05:38 PM.
kevs #42606 11/07/16 05:45 PM

Make sure the Messages application is open on both of your devices.

See: How to Set up Text Message Forwarding on Your Mac or iPad.

dianne #42607 11/07/16 06:03 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Excellent Diane works!

Is there a way to disable the annoying send with a bubbles etc that it's asking on my iphone?

My reply test came in from macbook air to my iphone, but oddly did not have the usual sound alert the iphone is famous for.

Finally, any chance I can forward my voicemails from my iphone to my macbook air? I would then be golden.

Finally, the green slider for forwarding messages on iphone wont slide back to white. You push it left and it shoots back to the right green. odd.

Last edited by kevs; 11/07/16 06:05 PM.
kevs #42608 11/07/16 07:00 PM

Quote:
Is there a way to disable the annoying send with a bubbles etc that it's asking on my iphone?

I am not sure I understand what you are asking, but I’ll guess. On the iPhone, go to Settings > General > Accessibility > Reduce Motion and turn that on.
Quote:
My reply test came in from macbook air to my iphone, but oddly did not have the usual sound alert the iphone is famous for.

You can set alert sounds for Messages on the iPhone in Settings > Notifications. I use a different sound for each.

On your Mac, the Message received sound can be set in Message > Preferences.
Quote:
Finally, any chance I can forward my voicemails from my iphone to my macbook air? I would then be golden.

You might be able to do this through Google Voice. I have no experience with that however. See: How to Forward Voicemail Messages on an iPhone.
Quote:
Finally, the green slider for forwarding messages on iphone wont slide back to white. You push it left and it shoots back to the right green. odd.

As far as I know, if you turn off Text Message Forwarding, you will have to go through the verifying the code again.

dianne #42612 11/07/16 08:04 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Diane thanks,
ok I do a new message, and (iphone says imessage) and this super annoying display comes up at the top SEND WITH EFFECT, slam, loud, gentle.

How can I never see that again?

If I then don't turn off text message on macbook air, no harm correct? I'll still receive everything on the iphone?

I'll try Google Voice, if anyone else reading this has ideas on receiving iphone voicemails, on a laptop, please let me know.

(what I was saying is that then I send test messages to myself on the iphone, the normal iphone alert I received a message does not happen)

kevs #42616 11/08/16 01:53 PM

Did you try turning on Reduce Motion in Accessibility?

Messages on your iPhone and MacBook Air are paired until you turn off Text Message Forwarding on the iPhone.

dianne #42628 11/08/16 03:56 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Diane,
what does Reduce Motion in Accessibility,mean, have to do with the situation? thanks.

The slider still wont turn off, just checked, but is there any harm in having it on all time?

kevs #42634 11/08/16 04:58 PM

Originally Posted By: kevs
Diane thanks,
ok I do a new message, and (iphone says imessage) and this super annoying display comes up at the top SEND WITH EFFECT, slam, loud, gentle.

How can I never see that again?

If I then don't turn off text message on macbook air, no harm correct? I'll still receive everything on the iphone?

I'll try Google Voice, if anyone else reading this has ideas on receiving iphone voicemails, on a laptop, please let me know.

(what I was saying is that then I send test messages to myself on the iphone, the normal iphone alert I received a message does not happen)

You are pressing too hard on the blue send arrow. Tap it, not hold down on it.

With the latest iOS releases Apple added a lot of bells and whistles to iMessages. The effects you are seeing is one of them.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
kevs #42638 11/08/16 05:07 PM

See: Use message effects with iMessage on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.

There is no harm in having ‘Text Message Forwarding’ on all the time.

dianne #42651 11/08/16 08:04 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Ira/ Diane, good tips!

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard