An open community 
of Macintosh users,
for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Non-Profit: Questions about databases, web, etc.
#4508 09/29/09 10:05 PM
OP Offline

I serve as one of three national officers for our church body. None of us live in the same area. I am the only one who is computer savvy having a Macbook Pro but also having 8 years in a Fortune 100 company as an analyst using Windows; the others can write emails and simple Word documents using Windows machines. Our problem is that we have no centralized database for our congregations and pastors, and now we need to expand because we are gaining more churches and pastors. This process also requires maintaining updates on who contacts the church/pastor and when.

Okay, so I know that a database solution is best. To kick it off I set up an Excel spreadsheet that was usable, but the others struggle to use Excel (I know, I know...). So then I set up a Word document with tables, two for each church, one as status quick look, the other with a running commentary noting each contact. But that won’t hold up for long (three days of no updates will cause the “system” to be unusable).

Ideally, a database would be appropriate, but which one? I would like to see it as a backend for web access, so that everyone can get an instant look at the latest. I had developed usable (but not good UI) databases using Access when working as an analyst, and I developed many expert spreadsheets using Excel and VBA. However, I have neither the time nor desire to go that route (if at all possible).

Thanks for any suggestions, ideas, software, etc.?

MacBook Pro 15” Matte, OS X 10.6.6
Scrivener 2, Mellel 2.7.3, DevonThinkPro 2, Accordance 9.1,
OpenOffice.Org 3.3, Notebook 3, Reunion 9, Tinderbox 5.6.1
Re: Non-Profit: Questions about databases, web, et
GrayShades #4511 09/30/09 12:49 AM

What you are attempting to do with spreadsheets and word processing is fraught with opportunity for disaster. It is a case of Murphy's Law just waiting to happen. I have been a member of the Communications Committee of our Presbytery for many years and we have made all the mistakes and managed to create several new ones of our own in setting up systems such as you propose. FWIW the biggest problem we encountered was/is the churches and ministers never remembered to update their data. We even tried setting up kiosks at Presbytery meetings and doing the updates for them and still it was like pulling teeth. I promise you what you are looking at will grow far beyond what you are presently envisioning. shocked

The trick is finding an application that is truly cross platform, easy to use, and preferably network aware. All of which significantly narrows the options. If you are talking about a database that is local to a single computer at each church there are several options, one of my favorites being SQLiteManager. If you are talking about a centralized database accessible to all the churches then things get more complex and more expensive. The product that comes immediately to mind is FileMaker Pro 10 or even better for future growth Filemaker plus FileMaker Server. You might also look at Filemaker's Non-Profit Database and other Non-Profit Software Solutions where you will likely find an existing database solution that would meet your immediate and future needs.

There are other options, but many most of them will require database design and administration skills to set up or, like Microsoft Access and Filemaker Bento, they are not cross platform compatible.

Last edited by joemikeb; 09/30/09 12:51 AM. Reason: clarify wording

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
Re: Non-Profit: Questions about databases, web, et
joemikeb #4515 09/30/09 04:14 AM

Joe

I was a FMP developer with a colleague for many years... I dropped off when they got to v7... Up to that point we always developed for XPlat systems because we were working in large firms that had Macs &PCs... we would normally do the creation work on Macs always being careful of fonts and cell sizes as the PC versions could go horribly wrong if care was not taken...

When I left FMP was going off into the web spaces and I did not want to follow... however for GrayShades I can recommend FMP...

BUT... (see how big that is)

He will HAVE to employ a designer and support system because I can relate that for years clients were very slack and always required support down the years...

GrayShades... If I could suggest... allocate some decent money to the project as it will be the core of what your organisation is all about... treat it like a business and get a quality pro to sit down and discuss what you need FIRST... do not do ad hoc systems as they grow like Topsy and in end become unmanageable...

Always count on it costing twice the quote (you will add new bits as you go along) and will take + three months longer than quoted...

FMP Is part of Apple and have a long list of quality professionals worldwide who do this for a living... find out who is in your area... sit down and make a list of what you want the D/B to do... call for quotes... CHECK the reputations of those that respond... be prepared to pay them to sit for 2 hours and go over what you think you need... get them to go away and come back with a quote...

It is a competitive business, but because you will be tieing your organisation to this developer for some time, make sure of their credentials... Check with others who have used them...

Discuss the issuing of Passwords... how far up the chain do you as the client get to go... most developers hold the highest level for themselves (don't let the amateurs near the code) but you need to have that access if you ever part with the developer... this will cost extra but it will be worth it at a later date..

Good luck

Cheers

RicMac #4523 09/30/09 03:34 PM
OP Offline

Thanks for both of your replies. I realize that anything short of a database is not good, but we don't have any options at this time. I feel like I am carrying a severely wounded soldier into the main battle. {{shudder}}

You have confirmed the direction that we need to take. I think the office manager has FMP on her Windows machine, and I have FMP 7 on mine. So with upgrades, that will probably be the best. Joe, you have confirmed that part for me. I assume the server approach allows both web access and expandability.

Ric, your comments about the designer and expectations of money and time are most welcome. It is easy to under-estimate, and for a church body, we don't have the luxury to keep throwing money at the project. If we have a realistic idea upfront, that will avoid the shock later on, and will avoid "fund raising" to meet the new costs.

More food for thought. I start a 17 day preaching/teaching tour tomorrow. So will have plenty of time to reflect and cogitate.

Thanks again.

Rich

MacBook Pro 15” Matte, OS X 10.6.6
Scrivener 2, Mellel 2.7.3, DevonThinkPro 2, Accordance 9.1,
OpenOffice.Org 3.3, Notebook 3, Reunion 9, Tinderbox 5.6.1

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard