FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Gender thing
#3214 09/07/09 06:50 PM
OP Offline

Just curious

Why are about 90% of the membership here male? (maybe a higher percentage)

Is this because men like to discuss things with other men before starting to tackle a technical problem whereas women just get on with the task in hand?

Or because, apparently, it's the male in the household who sorts out the technical issues and the female who lets him get on with it?

I'm just curious - as ever. Not a big deal and certainly not in any way sexist.

Re: Gender thing
Bensheim #3233 09/07/09 08:51 PM

Bensheim,

Just an initial thought on your question – there is a difference between the FineTunedMac membership and those who have made one or more posts here. A member, as well as unregistered visitors, can use the FTM Search function to see if the site contains information or solutions they need. In some instances, posting is not needed to answer a question or solve a problem.

Back up everything you can't afford to lose: documents, mail, movies, music, photos, and other data and settings.
dianne #3235 09/07/09 08:59 PM
OP Offline

Hi Dianne

confused

what does any of that have to do with gender?

Baffled Bensheim

Bensheim #3236 09/07/09 09:04 PM

Ooh, tricky topic ...

'Gender' is first and foremost a grammatical term, even if it is nowadays showing up as a PC (= politically correct) term for 'sex' (as a noun rather than a verb).

And in general a thing would be neuter. How many of our members would wish to be known as sexless? tongue wink grin

That must be wonderful; I have no idea what it means.
— Molière
Bensheim #3247 09/07/09 09:47 PM

I think dianne's point was that the fact that a large percentage of active posters are men doesn't mean that as large a percentage of member are. Since only about a quarter of our registered members have posted even once, it's not unreasonable to imagine that the gender breakdown of those who haven't posted isn't the same.

Beyond that, I'm not sure I'd trust the statistical estimate of someone who's just established the precedent of mistaking one of our female members for a male. laugh

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
Bensheim #3261 09/07/09 11:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Bensheim
Just curious

Is this because men like to discuss things with other men before starting to tackle a technical problem whereas women just get on with the task in hand?

Or because, apparently, it's the male in the household who sorts out the technical issues and the female who lets him get on with it?

I'm just curious - as ever. Not a big deal and certainly not in any way sexist.

Weeeeeeell it's like this see, I was born male, called male, chose to stay male and yep even dressed male.

Which is why I am male and more than 90% male wink

Bensheim #3262 09/07/09 11:47 PM

Hi, Bensheim
Quote:
what does any of that have to do with gender?
I was attempting to reply to your question
Quote:
to say that there are actually three categories of males and females at FTM: the two clarified by dkmarsh – members and posters – and users, those who are not registered nor posting but are using the Search function.

Back up everything you can't afford to lose: documents, mail, movies, music, photos, and other data and settings.
dkmarsh #3280 09/08/09 10:31 AM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: dkmarsh

I think dianne's point was that the fact that a large percentage of active posters are men doesn't mean that as large a percentage of member are. Since only about a quarter of our registered members have posted even once, it's not unreasonable to imagine that the gender breakdown of those who haven't posted isn't the same.

Three quarters of those who have registered here have never posted? So if there's 80 members then 60 of them have never posted? shocked I wonder why they registered for membership, since the only thing which a lurker cannot see is avatars. i.e., that's the only change when one logs in. Everything else is in plain view.

Quote:
Beyond that, I'm not sure I'd trust the statistical estimate of someone who's just established the precedent of mistaking one of our female members for a male. laugh

grin

dianne #3281 09/08/09 10:32 AM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: dianne
...... those who are not registered nor posting but are using the Search function.

How do you know that? Statcounter?

Bensheim #3284 09/08/09 11:07 AM

Quote:
So if there's 80 members then 60 of them have never posted? I wonder why they registered for membership...

Last time I counted (a day or two ago) we had 457 members, of whom 114 had posted at least once.

At MFIF, we had many thousands of members who'd posted very infrequently (if ever). I often found myself shocked when noticing that an unfamiliar user name with a New User title had a registration date from 7 or 8 years ago. I gradually came to understand that many folks had registered to ask a specific question, then tucked the fact of their membership away and saved it for future use as necessary.

I suspect that a number of the registrants here who haven't posted are former MFIF members who simply found out that the MFI Forums were closing/had closed, noted that FTM was their self-appointed successor (a fact discoverable in several different locations), and opted to take the time to join so they'd be members if and when they needed help with Mac issues. In fact, I do recognize quite a few of these thus-far mute usernames from MFIF.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
dkmarsh #3286 09/08/09 12:38 PM
OP Offline

457 members! That's a huge number for such a new forum.

Respect!

But can you open the pod-bay doors (a bit) to let us see some of these fascinating statistics?

Bensheim #3288 09/08/09 01:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Bensheim

One vote for that theory here... I'm also the designated keeper of iCal, programmer of VCR/DVR devices, and formerly the only loader of film in the camera. That last one is a running joke. She just didn't want to do it.

Gregg #3744 09/15/09 03:45 AM

Kate

As a long time member of MacFixit I will no doubt do here as I did there - come to ask but usually find the answer before posting.

. As the only mac user in our household no way would I let a Windows person, man, or woman, touch my mac.

We girls don’t have time to talk about whatever, not when thanks to macs we can just read here and then go do, but we do read, learn, and often laugh at the other half.

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard